List of rules solves my airbnb problems

I’ve been airbnbing for approx 6 years. It’s always been a really pleasant experience but over the past 18 months I’ve had an increasing number of entitled, badly behaved guests who seem to be substituting my room for a cheap form of backpacking. It got so stressful that I almost gave up on airbnb altogether…especially when guests give you a bad review after you’ve requested that they not enter private areas of the house. I decided as a last ditch to write a list of common sense rules so there would be no doubting as to what is expected of guests when staying in my home and no excuses for unpleasant behaviour. It’s worked! I’m back to having some really nice experiences, and there’s no confusion as to the boundaries. It also reminds guests that they’re in a home, not a backpackers!!
If you’re interested here they are:

1. Please don’t go down stairs it is the family’s private area. (The second storey is at street level where the guests enter and their room is located))
  2. Australia is a very dry country with a shortage of water so please take short showers.
  3. You are welcome to smoke on the back verandah.
  4. The room and use of the house is strictly for those listed in the booking. Please don’t bring any people into the house other than those listed in the booking
  5. Let me know if you need any clothes washed as I can do this for you.
  6. If you have water on the bathroom floor after your shower, please wipe it up with the the floor mat to avoid slips and falls.
  7. Please don’t leave dirty dishes in the kitchen sink or benches.
  8. You are welcome to come and go at any time of day or night but please be considerate of others who may be sleeping after 10pm and keep noise to a minimum.
  9. The tv and other gaming and stereo equipment in the lounge room is not for public use without permission.
1 Like

Glad these have worked for you.

I certainly wouldn’t be washing guests clothes though I have enough to do with all the extra linens, towels etc :slight_smile:

I might rewrite them to state them in a more concise positive way. For instance instead of "Don’t bring other people…"
I say

ONLY your approved guests may be on the property or in the home.

We also have water restrictions here, and this is how I state it.

Our house water supply is froma rainwater tank so water conservation is requested and appreciated. Short showers only.

Also… why allow smoking on the back lanai if Australia is a dry country?

Tighten up the other rules, and reword them so the words DONT and NO aren’t everywhere.

2 Likes

So agree. The don’ty approach would make one think they’re applying to join the military, not booking accommodation.

Good to know that it’s working for you! Agree with others here on avoiding too many don’ts.Do you post the list in their room or send it to them before they check-in? Lately, I have been getting guests who leave a pool of water around the bathroom basin. Not exactly sure what they’re doing, but they don’t wipe it after use and it’s wrecking my counter top. Have to figure something out soon.

Thanks for the comments, but i won’t be changing anything. I really like the strength of them and they set the tone for respectful behaviour which i wasn’t getting before. I think when guests meet me they find me to be a very friendly and easy going sort of person and some people were taking advantage of my good nature. I want to keep that good repoire with my guests and enjoy their stay…being firm up front allows me to do that.

I was posting the list in their room but have taken it down now as the list in the booking seems to be enough.

2 Likes

They can always choose someone else’s place if they’re a bit soft. The guests seem to appreciate the clarity…especially foreign guests who are more blunt and not versed in English nuances.

Even the clothes washing one? :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

That needs a “don’t” added to it - maybe say: “Don’t forget to let me know…” :grin:

2 Likes