Lights and guests

“That is a myth. It grew out of the very real phenomenon that repeatedly turning them on and off would reduce a bulb’s lifetime. That was long ago though and it didn’t even apply to incandescent after like the 60’s.”

Geoff - thanks for clarifying. My parents always were way behind the times :smile:)

I remember hearing it a lot too. Another one I hear is that it’s better to keep your heat or A/C on all the time during the day when you are regularly away. For quick comfort on coming home, sure, but there’s no way it is more efficient.

1 Like

Geoff,

Since you brought it up…I have to ask this about A/C - Sometimes the humidity outside is up and down. I try to keep the place comfortably cool and my roommate has said I am wasting so much electricity by turning down the AC. I know people use the term "turning down or up the AC differently.:

So for example: It is hot outside at ninety degrees. Air conditioner is set at 69. Then the humidity slows down and temp outside cools to 85. So I begin to get chilly and set Air at 70 or 71. Am I abusing the system? I thought I was trying to save money. I may do this several times a day and switch by one degree as humidity does affect inside temps.

BBM or anyone else care to chime in??

The point about keeping AC on is that it works in part by dehumidifying the air. Can’t see much point in keeping the furnace on, though.

That is a brilliant idea, Billy Bob. And do the guests know there is a max and min temperature?

Sounds like your air conditioner is not sized correctly with the space, especially if it is too big forminstance, it willovershoot.

That’s a good point about the humidity and I totally agree. I would have been more clear but got lazy. I live in Atlanta and in the dead of summer our house can absorb quite a bit of moisture and it can take climate control a long time to be rid of it.

Rolf,

What do you mean by it not being sized correctly? I don’t understand technical speak A/C speak :smile:

But even every place I have llived, worked, or gone to school - if the temperature is set at a certain degree (lock box)…inside it will either be comfortable, chilly, or too warm depending on the humidity outside.

It turns out they did ding me on stars! Airbnb’s star rating system sometimes takes a day to catch up… even though the review was active and it showed 11 completed trips – the stars didn’t show up until the next day. And, I was within one 5 star rating of achieving SuperHost status… DAMN IT! I know it will be easier once I’ve had a bunch more guests… then one 4-star rating won’t be so devastating! :frowning: We’re over 50 and we know better than to act like that! I’m going to chock it up to the unending string of newbies… I guess since we’re newbie hosts (opened 7/2015).

1 Like

Foot Stomp!!!
Well if it make you feel any better… I’ve been a host for almost six years and have JUST discovered that you can look at the stars they left you!!! I think I was better off not knowing!!! And I will be a Superhost never…I always get dinged on location (probably because it is rural, and it doesn’t matter I live next to a virtually private and secluded premier Kona snorkeling spot), and Value… (I’m never over $99 per night except at Christmas… this, with a full kitchen in a private lockable space! Private patio and BBQ too, plus beach gear…yet somehow they don’t think I am a good value.)

It doesn’t matter you know. I think it’s just a silly badge and has no bearing on getting more bookings. Reviews are much more important… So at least they didn’t flog you in public. And how dare they leave a chocolate mess and then think they were within their rights to scold you about anything!!! I hate guests sometimes!!! Ugh… !!!

1 Like

Kona,

Can you see the exact stars or is it the section where it states “last 5 guests gave you 5 stars on location” and then you try to back track through the reservations?

Just what the “last” guests gave you. We should be able to see “Stars” that the guests get also… Otherwise what is the point of giving them stars?

3 Likes

OK…well that sounds newer. Last time I looked it didn’t show me the exact stars. Will have to check it out. do you know how?

Hi Mo_In_TO,

Some of the mini-split units have the thermostat in the remote control.

If your unit is like this, where you put the remote has a really big effect on what the temp is (ie, if it’s on the coffee table and the unit is blowing down on it, it will not register the correct temp).

We often put the remote up high, out of the path of the blower, if we’re trying to cool down a room. It can really make a difference.

Hope this helps. : )

Two full years later? Really? Mo hasn’t posted since August 13, 2016. Might not get this message. Heck, might not be an AirBNB host anymore.

However it did help me. I’ve thought about getting a mini-split system for my room and the Airbnb room in the future.

I also found this to be a funny/heartbreaking reminder of halcyon days gone by:

3 Likes

The split units are quite marvelous actually. Only downside is the noise that the compressors make outside. We have considered installing them in some of our rooms, but haven’t figured out where those compressors would go to not keep us and our neighbors awake.

I wonder if it’s greater than the noise a whole house compressor makes? If I did this the compressor would be between the houses with only about 15-20 feet between houses. But that’s where most compressor are, the rest are on the roof. I don’t think it would disturb the neighbor because I have a high rock wall and there is only one window on that side of their house. It might disturb the Airbnb guest if they don’t like white noise.

Not sure what brand of mini split you have @anon67190644, but my Mitsubishi unit’s compressor hardly makes any sound at all. Maybe something is wrong with your compressor. Mini splits should be super quiet.

1 Like