Leaving Cable TV Behind

We have all Roku TVs in all rentals, we pay for Netflix, HBO NOW, Sling TV, HULU, Amazon Prime video. All TVs share all subscriptions.

I think there are as many answers for this question as there are hosts…

My monthly HOA dues include basic cable (can’t opt out) so I offer smart TVs with netflix and basic cable and hi-speed internet. This is common for condos & entire housing developments in my area so most rentals offer basic cable (way to keep “unsightly” dishes out of neighborhood)

I upgraded my internet to high speed and decided to take the hit for a higher rate because:

1. More people remotely work or attend graduate school. (Including me) A surprising number of adults will work while rest of family plays during the day—maybe they don’t have vacation time accrued yet.
  2. Multiple devices connected at one time need greater bandwidth to function simultaneously.

In my personal home: 1 TV, fire stick with amazon prime (which I enrolled in for shipping-movies, prime music, & kindle prime were happy extras) & netflix. 2. High speed internet

As @Brandt & others have said —it depends on your market.

1 Like

But dishes are allowed…right? I have Direct TV for one reason: NFL Sunday ticket and their brand of Red Zone channel. When that is easily accessed by less expensive means then I’ll look at the other means. Last summer I did the suspend the Direct TV and go with antenna and smart TV so as to say money but I can effectively only do that once every two years. So satellite isn’t prohibited, just discouraged?

1 Like

I have a 50in TV which gets basic OTA TV. I also have an Amazon Firestick attached so guests can use their Netflix accounts to watch if they want. Surprising the number who do and then leave their Netflix account logged on. I always log then off and tell them in a PM

1 Like

No satellite dishes allowed.

Supposedly it is because we are in a hurricane prone (2 last year with 100+ mph winds) area so dishes mounted to the structure could be ripped off by the wind. The ripped off dishes become airborne hazards and the holes would let water in the structure.

Ground mounted on a pole isn’t an option because of space constraints.

Thanks for the info on Britbox. Never knew about this streaming channel. Just ordered it now and can’t believe all the good quality shows.

Oh, hurricanes. I guess that makes sense but then it means quite a few other things that could be ripped off by the wind aren’t allowed either? Awnings, flagpoles, outdoor hanging light fixtures. …?

I guess anyone interested in that NFL programming would have to use the online only options.

1 Like

well, yeah but they come free for me via antenna. The antenna sticks to the inside wall, it’s not the one that you put on your roof, but if you have obstructions around your house, like trees or hills or something, this might not work for you. I works for me though.

I get all the channels that broadcast the superbowl and whatever other sports people watch. I get CBS, NBC, stuff like that. So why pay $$$ to the cable company beats me! They are dinosaurs and they need to go the dinosaurs’ way!

@MissMarple, I’m a sucker for British comedies/series/movies. I didn’t even watch “The American office”. I love Steve Carell, but he’s not Ricky Gervais.

1 Like

IQ and Black Adder. Worth every penny! Ricky Gervais- made me squeamish but end up loving every eye adverting moment! Thank you a thousand times.

1 Like

We have DirecTV at our personal home, but that allows us to access a lot of channels on our Roku TVs in our rentals. I also got a really cheap air antennae (maybe $25 on Amazon) which gets some of the local channels. We also add on Netflix. No idea how much our TVs get used, but in both homes we tend to get a lot of drinkers lol (in wine country in one home and lots of bachelorette parties in the other) so I envision a lot of people spend Saturday mornings on the couch in front of the tv :wink:

I got some of these too – best purchase ever! A friend mentioned them to us and I only wish I had found them sooner!

I concur, “cable” TV and multiple channels etc is something we’ve never considered.

Both of our apartments have a single 32" flat screen TV (medium quality) in the living room which receive all local digital TV channels and is connected to a DVD player. We have a selection of DVD’s in each and more in the office if someone asks. Unlike a few years ago, there are a number of English language channels available alongside the native Spanish ones.

If someone wants to use their own device, laptop, tablet etc, to watch something then fine, we have an unlimited 300Mbs internet connection.

Seems to work for us as the only complaint we’ve had so far was only because someone couldn’t work out how to change the display source.

Ultimately, I just don’t get the need for all the home entertainment stuff in any property that could be considered a holiday rental. Bugger off outside and do things, don’t sit indoors watching crap you could watch at home running up (AC & heating) my utility bills!

JF

Here we usually go to a pub to watch sports games :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So… that is your excuse, and you’re sticking to it! :wink:

:beers:

JF

1 Like

You know it’s mandatory @JohnF :slight_smile: big matches require a big screen, which requires a pub setting, which requires beer and much shouting at the ref and ribbing of any opposing side supporters.

2 Likes

Totally understand and agree.

For mine very few are there for a vacation. They are usually traveling or visiting family or between houses. So for mine they are very much more like their actual home where they would be used to watching TV as their routine.

I’m in the UK & cable costs have rocketed so we now only provide Netflix & Freeview.
No complaints as yet.
I’m reluctant to pay a cable company ridiculous money when guests are usually out and about.
Make the change!

Our first cabin, which we lived in originally, still has a TV and DIrecTV. We’ve moved to over the air TV at the house, and will do that for the cabin as well. The other two cabins don’t even have a TV, and no complaints yet. All have 15Mbps Internet (which is pretty good out here), and they can stream whatever they want to their own devices. Cabin Internet is completely separate from the house Internet (I’m a security geek, after all). I’ve actually had people come out to the cabin with the TV and never leave for 3 days. But, if that is what they want, fine. DirecTV provides so few benefits, and the cost seems to inch up incrementally every year for the same service. Then you holler at them, tell them it is too expensive, and they drop the cost. Seems to me the wrong customer service model.

1 Like

I suspend mine for 6 months every 18 months-2 years to bring down the average monthly cost. I really only subscribe for convenience and because of the Airbnb room. I tried last year going with antenna and Roku and it was too complicated for my tastes. When I can get the same NFL benefits off DirectTV I will cut the cord. But I definitely need to call in and get my discount. Or do like some people, completely cut it off one year and ship them the equipment. Then sign up again with the special deal a year or two later. It is sad that the best clients don’t get the good deals.

1 Like

You are most welcome. Haven’t seen IQ. I adore Blackadder. Check out Upstart Crow, about Shakespeare. It’s genius! Loved it. Watched it like 3 times. Made by the same director who made Blackadder, so you know it’s good. You will see the similarities.

1 Like