Latest NYC Anti Airbnb propaganda

Just got this in my mailbox

I should add this flyer is glossy and 8.5 x 11- not your normal postcard sized flyer. They have a lot of money to spend on this campaign.

I suppose that’s no surprise, but it’s a little daunting.

1 Like

Wow. What cryptic name is attached to this? That is, who paid for it?. Andddd… Do you want your IRL name and address here on the forum? Maybe you should edit the photo and repost?

2 Likes

Thanks, deleted the second image.

“ShareBetter” (This was paid for by the “ShareBetter Education Fund”) is an unholy union between hotels and affordable housing advocates. Which makes me uncomfortable because i think of myself as pro affordable housing.

Space is complicated here.

2 Likes

The hotel lobbying groups are hitting hard here in Charleston, SC too. The city just initiated anti-short-term rental laws. Here’s just a few: owner must be residing and present in the house when space is being rented short-term (in other words, you can’t rent out your whole house anymore); must have a minimum of 2 off-street parking spaces; if house isn’t listed on the historic registry then you can’t rent; if house isn’t in one of the “zones” for rentals then you can’t airbnb; you have to register with the city and pay fee plus get a business license…it goes on and on. Charleston already has lots and lots of hotels. Three opened up last year and there are an additional 500+ hotel rooms / new hotels in the works to be built in the next two years. Hmmm, wonder why the city is cracking down on airbnb??

1 Like

In Nashville, there are entire old cheap apt buildings near the college that are all Airbnb. Cant blame landlords, but unregulated Abnbs are sucking up affordable long term housing in many places.

@AJmartin1 I get your point; however, downtown Charleston is 80% touristy and becoming more and more every day with a hotel on just about every corner. Historic South of Broad is nothing but museum houses that are second/third homes for wealthy retirees that sit vacant for most of the year. A lot of the larger homes around the college have been made into apartments for students. I grew up in Charleston, so not too many “families” live downtown anymore. Plus, affordable housing went by the wayside in Charleston about 10 years ago, well before Airbnb became popular.

1 Like

@chrisY.
Some of those rules sound ridiculous…having to be a historic home makes no sense. Perhaps you could get a group like yourself together and talk to your city council…rules can be changed.
Nashville has regulated us too and it makes sense…fire inspection, hotel tax collection, insurance…the works. Regulations have been put in to keep some multiple rentals within the downtown tourist zone but not enough. Just enough to block party houses in residential neighborhoods which was becoming a serious issue…we have become the batchlorette capital of the south and these girls aint a pretty sight as a drunken group.

I feel anyone should have the right to do what they want with their primary home, but I am not crying for all the people who decided to buy houses to short tern rent. I breaks the fabric of a neighborhood.
And I would bet that a lot of those apts in large old houses which students used to rent are now ABNBs.

Let us know how it goes.