Last guest had too many people in house

My listing said the maximum number of people for my house is six (6). My last registered guest said they would have 2 adults and 3 children in my house. (I do not stay in the house). My cleaning lady said there were 8 sets of sheets to clean. When I looked at the outdoor camera video, I observed that there were at least 8 people in the house. The rationale for this is that more people increase the probability of damage, cause more cleaning, and can cause more noise. I work hard to reduce the visibility of guests because I do want to annoy our neighbors who have been very accepting of our rentals.

This is the first time this has happened and I am very disturbed. There is nothing in our listing or our Renters Guide indicating a penalty for exceeding the number of guests. I will probably add a penalty now.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have any suggestions?

1 Like

You don’t need a penalty in your house rules, if the guest booked and paid for five and you allow up to 8 or more, than charge them for it. You have evidence more stayed

It’s a shame you didn’t call the guest on it while she was there, but try getting money back now.

Message her and say something like. 'I was surprised to see eight guests stayed at the property when only five were booked and paid for. I am sure this is an oversight on your part so I am sending through a request to cover the cost of the additional guests".

Make sure you call Airbnb and let them know what has happened.

5 Likes

You are right that I should have contacted them while they were there. I had a clue when I saw 3 cars in the driveway and should have called them.

I am in the process of contacting Airbnb.

Thanks for your comments.

1 Like

I am afraid it will result a bad review.

What will?

What is the guest going to say @Ping. ‘It’s really unfair that the host asked me to pay for the extra three guests I sneaked in without permission, who used extra linen, towels and amenities at the house’.

1 Like

Because airbnb requires host file a claim before the next guest, so we have to file the claim as soon as possible. As soon as we file, before the guest write us review, they will get the claim first. They will be mad and lying about everything. Unless, the guest writes you review right away and you have some time before the next guests, you can write review right away, after both parties submit it, the reviews can’t be changed. Then you can file the claim.
I have had this happen when i just started hosting. I was in experienced. After the guests left they dirtied the carpet which I clearly state in my house rules, no shoes on the carpet, otherwise if I have to hire professional carpet cleaning, the guests will have to pay for it. So I did have to hire professional carpet cleaning and filed claim through airbnb. The guest was mad and gave me all 1 star, said in the review that I was trying to cheat his money. It was only $75 for deep cleaning but cost lot of trouble for me.

I also have the same problem. The guests lying about number of guests. We also have a camera by the entrance. But it’s hard to claim. We are also constantly thinking of a solution.

I understand what you are saying @Ping. However the threat of a bad review shouldn’t stop us from making a claim when a guest lies to us about the number of guests staying or damages our property.

That’s why I suggested in my initial post that it’s always best to raise these issues with a guest during their stay so bookings can be amended rather than having to argue about it post visit.

I do hope you responded to the guest that left you such a terrible review, so there is a record of what actually happened.

1 Like

I did write a nice response to his review. Unfortunately, I think it did make some impact, the following month was my worst month ever. Only less then 30% occupancy. Luckily the month after I had returning guests stayed for 3 weeks, then Christmas and New Year came which is our busy season. So I was able to recover from then.

Hello @Ping

I don’t think you can necessarily put it down to an unpleasant review. If the review is completely out of kilter with your other five/four star reviews guests will see it was an unreasonable guest.

Your slow down could be due to other factors such as being low season.

I was so upset and my usually very calm housekeeper was also disturbed
because of the extra linens and use of supplies. I always tell her how many
people are coming and she prepares for that number. Bottomline, I contacted
him to tell him that I was surprised that he had more people than he has
mentioned. I should have waited until he wrote his review so I could have
publicly blasted him. Now Im sure he wont review, but I am in the process
of notifying ABB.

1 Like

Also, before you say you have evidence 8 people stayed, be sure your exterior camera is disclosed in your listing. Neither guests NOR Airbnb take lightly to undisclosed security camera.

Interesting… I didn’t know I needed to disclose exterior camera. I will
do that.

This is what Airbnb says:

Oh dear @QueenAleta I agree do have a look at Airbnb’s Help Centre it will help you understand do’s and don’ts around managing your listing.

Thanks. I will update immediately

I only make up beds and leave towels for the number of guests booked. I have stopped leaving additional linen in the house, then it is not used or taken :slight_smile:

Lack of linens can be a double edged sword because I don’t want people
sleeping on my sofas without sheets. But, you have a good idea.