Large Bachelorette Group Wants to be Larger

You absolutely did the right thing but you do know even if she says her friends have booked somewhere else they are going to be at yours most/all of the time anyway don’t you?

Personally, I would suggest you tell Airbnb you need them to cancel penalty free , as you are uncomfortable with the booking as you fear she is going to bring more than have booked and exceed your maximum capacity. Then you can tell her you have kindly allowed her to cancel penalty free so she can book a place that accommodates a much larger group .

Her excuse that at first she didn’t think anyone would come and then miraculously there were suddenly four above your maximum doesn’t wash. I really don’t like the way she tries to guilt trip you in that passive aggressive way. Seems strange she has only just discovered months later that this has happened.

I particularly loved this ‘I am such a saint’ gem 'this is also the first time that I have ever planned anything entirely for myself, as I am usually prioritizing others before myself’

8 Likes

In my experience people who have to tell you that they have honesty and integrity often have neither. The one piece that I do believe is her unexpected high acceptance rate for her invitation. I had a party in May expecting the usual ratio of acceptances and was shocked when I got 99% yes. I had to do some juggling. I think people were desperate to have some fun after lockdowns let up.

11 Likes

Thanks everyone; your comments and suggestions are insightful and helpful! Quick update: I had forgotten that she did have a 5-star host rating from another booking. In addition, I did some online sleuthing (per usual with guests who request to book) and found her wedding website. Their “couples” story is very sweet and there were no red flags on that front.

My conclusion is that she is young and naïve and from the “entitled” generation. I have made it abundantly clear that we have an eye on her group and I do have external security cameras (documented via Airbnb listing). We live locally and can stop by and scope it out at any time. I think based on the facts, Airbnb wouldn’t approve a cancellation on our end. From what I’ve read, mostly here, is that Airbnb leans towards guest satisfaction rather than host.

Thanks again! There’s never a boring day as an Air host!!!

4 Likes

Let us know how it went.

3 Likes

Sure will! Thanks, Christine!

2 Likes

Bullet Dodged. Passive-aggressive woke-speak to honor herself and her own needs above and beyond. Great job of admitting her mistake while still pushing beyond your boundaries.

I’d cancel them. These “important women in her life” sound like a party waiting to happen.

4 Likes

So the second string/second best guests got invited to fill in the spots for the “No” replies of the first string/first best women she invited then suddenly EVERYONE wants to come because these “mature” women will be off the leash and with each other.

No. No. Nopeity nope. Free cancellation by host. Her selfishness isn’t your problem #bridezilla

And “mature women friends” are known to party like 1970s rock stars.

5 Likes

Air WILL let you cancel penalty-free. You get 3 of those a year. PLUS she stated she wants to bring more people. Just. Say. No. "Dear Air CS, based on the guest’s desire to bring in more people, I am not comfortable with this reservation and it violates my House Rules and STR Insurance."

I’ve seen those sweet wedding websites. Family member had one. Internal family drama was something out of Dr. Phil or Maury Pauvich. The internet isn’t real.

2 Likes

I wonder when this booking is. It doesn’t seem that the OP is inclined to cancel and honestly, if the reservation is within the next month, cancelling at this point is an overreaction and a pretty harsh “punishment” for asking if you can add people to a reservation.

3 Likes

Under certain circumstances, I’d agree. But the long letter of virtue-signalling, comments about honest and integrity, and a total lack of respect for the OP’s boundaries really annoyed me.

@hey_kelly should get a hefty deposit held in escrow in her account, though.

4 Likes

Reservation is less than 30 days out and she would receive half back at this point, based on our cancellation policy. I suggested to her that she could cancel on her end and book the property that sleeps 15 just south of us. The total price would be about what they would pay to get an add’l accommodation for the extra friends anyway. I haven’t heard from her but my messages didn’t necessarily require a response.

As far as the free host cancellation, I agree, at this point it seems a bit harsh to cancel just because she begged to bring more people. I do think she is spoiled and yes, also annoying. We have had our share of partiers and it’s never pretty but all in all, we’ve been fortunate. There is nothing in the home that is sentimental nor vastly valuable and in all cases we have been able to clean up what the partiers leave behind. We do have a security deposit and will use if necessary.

Also, if I cancel it is highly unlikely that we will rebook at this point. Our place is higher end and we would lose $1,000s not $100s. I know, is it worth it? In the 18 months we’ve been hosting it has been thus far.

I’m so appreciative of the comments and suggestions and it’s incredibly helpful for future bookings! Tucking all of this conversation away for good use!

3 Likes

And if the stay is completed, please update with the result.

2 Likes

Absolutely! I’ll provide a detailed update. I can tell you I won’t be providing the typical complimentary bottle wine to this group! LOL

3 Likes

A keg or two might suffice.

3 Likes

You take a separate security deposit? Or are you referring to the impossible to get Airbnb one?

1 Like

Under Airbnb “Policies” and “Security Deposit”. I’ve never filed a claim but that’s what we use for the listing. I did settle offline with one guest after they dented a wall and spilled punch on our epoxied garage floor. They were embarrassed and sent me more than I asked for via Venmo. We have been very fortunate that accidents/damage haven’t cost us much. Everything else has fallen under the cost of doing business.

That is the non existent security deposit that the guest needs to agree to you making a claim?

3 Likes

Well, we’ve weighed the pros and the cons based on the information we have gathered and our own hosting experiences and have decided not to cancel her reservation. I’m happy to post an update after the stay. Thanks again for all of the comments.

8 Likes

Air’s “guarantees” and non-existent “deposits” are useless.

Hosts have had difficulty recovering anything, since the guest has to agree in order to use the “deposit” which they have not been charged for. And that’s with photos of damage, security camera footage, and itemized bills. And it takes forever.

You do have STR insurance in addition to your regular home insurance, right?

And take a look at the other accounts of party damage in this forum.

1 Like

We do have comprehensive insurance coverage. Appreciate all of the info.!