Landlords return to long-term rentals as Airbnb loses its shine

They key words there are “at least for now.” The hotel lobby has no bottom to its purse and they can trump up ‘neighborhood concerns’ like no one else on the planet.

Even America itself is an outlier. Airbnb is virtually unknown in, for example, Germany and is small potatoes in many other countries.

2 Likes

You may be right. I’m very lucky.

Even in the US only 71% of Americans have heard of Airbnb. It’s not surprising that it’s even less well known in other countries.

No because I am tired of arguing with you, you will always be right and always have an argument to back up how right you are. It is exhausting.

RR

I’d like to think air would still honour any payouts and wear the cost, but going off of dealings I’ve had in the past with air, this would not surprise me TBH.

This is the similar to why I STR. Majority of tenants especially in a share house situation treat your property like Shit.

2 Likes

This is also why I went from medium-term (1 to 9 months) to short-term. I don’t have enough data/experience yet to say whether it was the best decision, but being able to clean and maintain the property to my standards is the fundamental reason I switched.

6 Likes

The flip side is my gas bill at the Air property for February which was $212. Literally running the heat 24 hours a day. The hidden side to STR and guest’s ‘what me worry?’ attitude.

And I’ve had plenty of guests wreck my stuff even during a four day stay.

1 Like

Nest thermostat can control that.

We used a Nest at another property we had with mixed results. Requires 24 hour monitoring and guests can bait and switch the thing if they are sophisticated. Bottom line is you are selling entitlement that doesn’t exist in a LTR so make sure you get a sufficient price. Of course Airbnb is right there to cornhole you with their ‘pricing software.’ Another of Brian’s hilarious jokes.

I don’t have heating or air-con but I’ve found the complete opposite. My utilities have gone down considerably. Maybe 50 percent !

Sorry I don’t agree at all. It all depends on the landlord and the STR host. Some landlords provide a service and some STR hosts don’t. They provide a product.

I am an active landlady. I provide a service. I visit my tenants quarterly. We exchange Christmas Cards. If there is a problem such as a boiler breakdown I aim to provide a next day service for repairs (during the week). I act as a go between between my landlord who owns the building and the tenants, when there was an issue with some other tenants. I maintain my property on a regular basis.

I do the same with my STR - I provide lots of added value and a personal service.

Some STRs particularly those run by management companies or owned by companies with multiple properties are very much run as a product. With the same look and feel and with minimal involvement with the guest.

This is another thing that I control. I set a minimum price and the software has never let the room be booked at a price below that. There are a few times where it’s set my price a buck or two above my minimum and I’ve gotten booked so I keep using it.

There are many hosts for whom Airbnb is working quite well. If it stops working for me I will stop using it. I may go back to a roommate situation. Airbnb didn’t start out to be an alternative to LTR anyway.

3 Likes

No one is saying they can’t control it. What we are addressing is the rank duplicity and doubletalk of the whole operation. Chesky says 'there ‘s a place for everyone.’ Translation: ‘we are going after luxury/business travelers so look out if you are a small time operator.’ He’s says ‘we have tools to control your prices.’ Translation: we are going to force prices lower to grab market share at your expense. He says ‘you have complete control over who you rent to.’ Translation: accept bookings from people you can’t see and don’t know or else.

6 Likes

Then why are you still here? Vote with your feet.

RR

1 Like

Why am I still here? Good question. Listening to people like you is making me change my mind…fast. But hey you’ve been hosting for two whole yers so you ARE the oracle.

2 Likes

Yep. Further translation: When they burn down your property, it’s your problem.

4 Likes

It doesn’t really affect me. I don’t expect much from the company or any other company. I could go off on a rant about “late stage capitalism” and a bunch of other stuff too but it doesn’t affect my bottom line tomorrow or the next day so I’m not going to worry about it.

Is there a solution you have in mind or you just need to vent?

1 Like

Thanks for recently starting to post on the forum.

@RR can be a little direct at times (as can I) but nonetheless has a valid point.

We can all have a view regardless of how long we have been hosting (or posting on here :slight_smile: )

1 Like

And someone can host and post almost as long as William and still have very different experiences with Airbnb, as I have. William has been complaining about the pricing tool and Airbnb for years. Things continue to get worse but he’s still on Airbnb apparently. BTW I took "why are you still here from RRR to mean “here with Airbnb” not “here on the forum.” We all need to vent sometimes and the forum is great for that.

3 Likes

Hi @KKC

And yes, so did I.

I was replying to @William_Norton and pointing out it was not about who had been hosting the longest hence my comment "we can all have a view regardless of how long we have been hosting ".

1 Like