Kitchen Quarantine: What’cha Cook’n?

My kitchen is a wreck and the fact that my dishwasher hasn’t been working for the past week and half doesn’t help. It’s about time to start eating up the prepared things in the freezer.

I’ve been doing a lot of freezer-diving! The two-year-old Stouffers frozen lasgana was fine, maybe a tad dried out, nothing copious amounts of red wine couldn’t fix. AND just found a pile of last year’s party ham!
On a serious note, so fortunate to not be in a food line somewhere, and to be able to donate the $ I would have spent eating out or traveling.

3 Likes

I hit that point two weeks ago but I am the only cook in the house other than my daughters who I am training. We broke down and ordered take out from our favorite place for Easter dinner, other than that its been all me in the kitchen. I made tortillas today and realized I am out of cheese.

If you want to bake a cake, but are short on ingredients, here are some helpful suggestions:

JF

4 Likes

Trader Joe’s pizza dough!

3 Likes

!

3 Likes

Some of these sound pretty rough, but maybe inspiration if running low on supplies:

JF

2 Likes

Made bread for the first time, and husband has been eaten all the crispy sides already. Cinnamon sugar and soo good!! I’m surprisingly very proud of myself, ha!

Edit: Open outlets not at NC property, haha! Putting a kitchen and bath in current home.

While I was mixing, I heard a sound behind me and turned to find my sweet Bridgette had dragged her bed into the kitchen! :joy:

Kiddo has grabbed her 4th piece of bread so I took an inside pic before it’s gone :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Dog biscuits! Using leftover bits from the cupboard and fridge (pancake mix, beef broth, coconut, cheese . . .)

3 Likes

Borrowed an air fryer from a neighbor … Dang, now I “need” one :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

I love cooking and during lockdown I have more time as usual.

Everything I want to buy is still available here but if we had to be self-sufficient:
We have our own trouts and eggs and the farmer down the road has milk (+butter and cheese), beef, potatoes and wheat.
Lots of wild herbs and fruits are also growing here.

If anyone is interested in recipes just tell me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Geez, my husband is a great cook, but I think I want to come eat diner at your house!

1 Like

That all looks amazing.

My wife started making bread every day about 2 weeks ago. She rarely bakes, but I think she’s just trying to keep the kids (two boys, 16 and 18) happy while they’re stuck at home. First attempt was a brick because the yeast was old, but she baked it anyway :upside_down_face:. Second attempt was just slightly under-cooked. Now I wake up to the smell of fresh bread every morning and it’s perfect.

3 Likes

Oh, man, I need to take a plating class! I still find myself in “drown in luscious gravy” mode, but since I had to go low carb (A1C back to normal after 3 months) I’ve been trying to do better.

When you’re only serving yourself it seems like a lot of extra time, and it’s really hard to cook well for one person, especially for things like a rack of rib chops. The worst thing about this lockdown is not being able to share meals with friends. :disappointed_relieved: :champagne:

1 Like

It’s not just myself we are a family of 4. But I also miss having friends over, cooking, eating and having some bottles of wine :frowning:

1 Like

There is nowt wrong with that! Just the same as there is nowt wrong with a plate of elegantly positioned, and dressed food.

Agree 100%. Our kitchen really only comes alive when the table is busy :smile: and because our borders are effectively closed, even our daughters can’t get here so it’s just me and the OH, every meal, every day. Boring!

JF

Better than haggis & neaps!

Just us is the norm here, well, in the evenings, but I never expected to be having lunch with my OH on a daily basis.

The boring part is thinking about what to eat twice a day.

Often it’s just us also, but not every night. This past six weeks has brought it home to us exactly how much time we spend out and about, grabbing a tapa here and a tapa there. If you meet someone, the first impulse after ordering a drink is to order some food to share.

It’s not just in the evening, but during the day as well. Lunch is often a couple of montaditos in our plaza, or if we’re feeling adventurous, heading into the tourist area for a bite to eat.

Lock down lethargy sets in, at least with me, and in some respects our diet has been fairly uninteresting. The weather hasn’t helped either, normally we’d have been eating (and cooking) outside for most of April, which is always an incentive to be more adventurous.

Just thinking about it now, during the dark months our diet tends to be very Scottish oriented, but when the sun comes out and we start eating outside, it changes to a more Mediterranean diet. I think I’m missing my salads!

JF

2 Likes