Keeping rooms smelling fresh

Citric acid works in the same way as vinegar, without the smell. I use a citric acid cleaning solution that I make up myself in a spray bottle and it’s great for getting rid of odours. It’s about 1 part citric acid to 20 parts water and I add a couple of drops each of orange, cypress and lavender EOs. You could leave out the oils if you’re worried about allergies but at that quantity the scent is minimal.

3 Likes

Zero Odor is £59.93 in the UK for one spray bottle!

Sounds interesting. So you dissolve the citric acid crystals in water? Does it also work on shower glass?

1 Like

Yes after every stay. Again white vinegar and warm water will netrilize any smells

1 Like

Shower glass is the WORST THING ON THE PLANET to clean. Who can tell me the best way to do it?

3 Likes

Which is why I didn’t put shower glass in the last two bath remodels. It’s all the rage and it looks great when new but it’s not good for rentals because you really need to wipe it down after each shower. What is your issue? Hard water, soap scum, both?

Since I don’t have glass showers, I’m an expert. LOL.

I’ve heard that a mixture of blue Dawn and vinegar is good; Dawn for scum, vinegar for mineral deposits. I’d use a magic eraser “sponge” every cleaning because it’s a mild abrasive as well. If you have mold then use chlorine bleach. Also a single edge razor blade can be used to scrape off any thicker deposits.

1 Like

Both unfortunately. And these were installed when I was in the hospital and couldn’t prevent it. I have no experience with the static screens (which are probably bad enough) but these are two sliding glass doors that enclose the tub./showeree.

The frames that they are in are bad enough (pubic hair traps) and they rattle a lot and don’t fit well. I have to stand in the tub to clean them with Windex and a chamois leather but they are never good enough. Sigh.

I haven’t used a chamois in years. At least try the magic eraser with vinegar solution and a microfiber cloth. I’m sorry you got those installed. I’m a shower curtain kind of gal. No they aren’t elegant and they don’t make the designer magazines but those $5 liners can be washed and tossed when they get ugly.

1 Like

I agree so much about the shower curtains. Easy to launder and easy (and cheap) to replace. I think you’re right and it’s about time I stopped being so old-fashioned with the chamois. I’ll try the magic eraser and report back :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like the 3m scotchbrite microfiber for glass but I’m sure there are other good microfiber cloths. The have one for stainless steel that is my favorite. No more “stainless steel Cleaner/polish/gunk” all magic eraser and polishing cloths.

1 Like

Get rid of it and use a shower curtain.

Thats the only way.

Gary

1 Like

I’m another that uses Magic Eraser for glass shower doors along with a squeegee and damp paper towel to wipe the squeegee after each swipe.

I highly recommend.

1 Like

Yes much easier to wash a shower curtain every week or so and to ring the changes. However shower cubicles have their own issues. I had one with a grout leak caused by instability and the frame had to be rebuilt and relined with German fancy waterproof backer board. Also I will never get tiles again, wall panels are so much easier to clean than grout.

1 Like

I was disgusted with my glass shower cubicle which was described as easy clean glass. BS off the scales! Apparently was not even tested for a hard water area. Wish I had a cubicle built now. It’s like purgatory keeping it clean.

1 Like

Some travelers are allergic to chemically-scented products like Febreze (myself included). Staying in a room that has been sprayed with it gives folks like us headaches, sinus drip, runny eyes, and sometimes, asthma-like reactions. I encourage all hosts to consider curtailing chemically scented products, including cleaning products.

If you feel you must use scented products, try a natural oil, and make sure it’s not a synthetically made “pretend natural.” I have a homemade cleaning products recipe I often use: 2 c water, 1 c white vinegar, a dash of hydrogen peroxide (about 2 TBSP), a small bit of castile soap (about 2 TBSP), and a dash of peppermint, lemon, or lavender oil (about 6-8 drops). All of these oils have slight antimicrobial properties (https://healthyfocus.org/8-powerful-antibacterial-essential-oils/). Guests’ natural bacteria takes over a room completely in 48-hours (one of those weird nature facts you sometimes wish you didn’t know). When you spray a scented product, you’re just covering up the smell, temporarily, and doing nothing about the bacteria. Over time, what you get is a gross odor of various chemical scents mingled with human body odor.

WHAT I DO: Purchase zippered pillow protectors that go between the pillow and the pillowcase. Wash the pillowcase every time, of course, but wash the zippered pillow protector anytime a room is getting odiferous, and at least once/month. Make sure your cushions and decorative pillows have removable covers, and wash those regularly. Use duvet covers over the top of blankets and comforters, so those can be washed between guests (much lighter weight and easier to wash than the blankets and comforters). Spray a fine mist of anti-microbial solution on rugs and curtains. Wipe all of the hard surfaces with my homemade cleaning solution (or Seventh Generation’s spray cleaner) at every checkout. Between guests, open windows and curtains, even if it’s cold (close the heater vent and the door, and open windows on both sides of the room, if you have them, for cross-ventilation). Hope this helps.

Also check any drains in the home, make sure they are flushed regularly with hot water/vinegar/baking soda. Have a black light to check for hidden stains. Maybe a cup of water was spilled behind or under he bed and now there is mold.

Yes a water white vineger solution is the answer its great for wood work and especially smear free mirrors. I worked on private yachts and stewardess were always getting me to buy them white vinegar they swore by it

Kind of related is keeping your septic fresh and not smelling…

This was a tip from a Home Depot employee who claimed he was a retired chemical engineer. Mix one application of RIDX with one half cup of baker’s yeast. The creatures in the yeast are alive and they will eat through all the muck, paper and waste, working in concert with the RIDX. I tried it and it worked well!!!

I just cleaned our glass shower door yesterday. I used “Bar Keepers Friend” cleanser to scrub the glass and it looks great.

It combines oxalic acid and a very gentle abrasive to get rid of the hard water scale and the soap scum

2 Likes

I have some that I use elsewhere in the rental so I’ll try that at my next turnover next week Thanks!