Just saw this on Facebook Air testing No Guest Fees

One way to frame this to make it sound more juicy/safe to your potential investor, is you separate the two relationships.

You pay regular rent, traditional tenant -landlord situation.

But then they pay you to be their on-site property manager and caretaker. Traditional property managers charge 10% of the rent for doing very little (ask me how i know!.. or not. Grumble), if you’re onsite and doing all the greeting and cleaning work, you could justify a much higher %

The investor has your steady rent to depend on, plus they know you have an incentive to keep things looking good on the short term side.

Another way of doing this is going into a true partnership with someone and forming an LLC. When you draw up the papers you can stipulate what each person is contributing (they’re contributing capital, you’re contributing knowledge and labor) and what % of the profit you each get as a result. Then whatever rent you might pay goes into the LLC and you get a % back once a profit is made. (That takes a while because property is expensive…)

Anyway, i am not a lawyer I’ve just been reading and thinking a lot about how to make long distance rentals work for landlord and tenant. :]

3 Likes

This is like what the old VRBO was-just charging hosts. Except Airbnb’s would be on a commission model and VRBO had an annual subscription of about $1200.

VRBO used to start at $399 per year for a “Bronze” subscription. They had metallic tiers up to “Platinum” ($1000-$1200 per year, I can’t remember which), and the more expensive the tier was, the higher you were in the rankings, which presumably leads to more bookings.

Yes, it was $125/yr for everyone when I started in 2002. I ended up paying $1200 or $1300 a year by 2016 to have the platinum subscription which got me in the top 10 listings of 400-500.