Just saw this on Facebook Air testing No Guest Fees

Not just the Guest, I care as a Host about what I get and get more if ABB are not involved.

On a returning guest I put zero value in host guarantee. I can include a real security deposit booking direct and already have liability insurance.

4 Likes

Very interesting, thank you for thisā€¦ even though it made my head spin, :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I was of this mind too at one time but now I have changed to a more book direct philosophy whenever possible. This is because I mainly donā€™t want to be obsequious to their awful cancellation policy. Having a $2000 holiday booking cancel right before Christmas and get totally refunded was the last straw.

Also the reviews are a total crap shoot. Anyone can screw you there, even returning guests.

5 Likes

Good points that you and @KKC make. Like I said, if Airbnb decides to put all the fees on hosts, then they will see many hosts booking directly and they will lose.

2 Likes

I doubt it. They see as as a commodity, despite their claims to look at us like a community.
Or stated another way, they want look like the community as long as we are in the role of commodity.

1 Like

I doubt it would make any difference, the numbers have not changed very much.

Seems a small discount for showing the gross fee so that is a plus.

1 Like

Does that make you an enabler Kona? Perhaps we need an intervention.:japanese_goblin:

1 Like

Playing devils advocate (the Devil being ABB) one advantage of this is if all platforms only charge host fees and the price shown is THE PRICE then it is easier for me to keep rates consistent across platforms. I had someone stay who found me on Homeaway/Stayz and ABB and booked on the former because overall it was cheaper. So I went and upped my rate on that platform as I was undercharging.

Definitely not!!! :rofl:ā€¦

Yes, after just launching automatic collection (in some cities) of a mandatory 13% occupancy tax. That, combined with the market manipulation imposed by the auto-pricing tool (driving the whole marketā€™s pricing down) cut my profits to nearly zero.

Well, hosts canā€™t raise fees to net out those costs if the market wonā€™t bear it: i.e. if you canā€™t get enough bookings after raising your price because other Airbnbs in the area are cheaper. Theyā€™re driving a whole segment of hosts out of hosting (those of us who operate an Airbnb out of a rented/leased home with landlord permission). Folks who own the properties where they host donā€™t have to charge as much per night to make it worthwhile, because they have a lot lower overhead. In the Bay Area, this is the only way many of us have been able to afford our rents. Without an Airbnb, Iā€™ll now have to move to the hinterlands. Itā€™s bye bye, Berkeley for me. Sad.

2 Likes

What happened Amy? Why are you moving? I once lived in Orinda when it was a sleepy and affordable bedroom community. (Now Iā€™m dating myself! :rofl:)

You will find a new place with a new chance to make Airbnb work.

Hi, @konacoconutz. My landlord wants his house back ā€œfor his familyā€ now that he can increase the rent from the $8K Iā€™m paying to the $12K a new tenant could pay (rents have shot up like a rocket the past 2 years). So I have to move, and since Iā€™m barely profitable in this renter-run Airbnb model now that rents are so inflated, it doesnā€™t make sense for me to find another Airbnb in Berkeley. So Iā€™m looking into places like Hayward, Castro Valley, and Oakland Hills, with a plan to either get a few extra bedrooms to rent out on Airbnb or to get a house share with a friend (still sorting that out). This morning, though, a frequent guest who received my announcement said he may be interested in buying an investment property in Berkeley, and renting it to me to run as an Airbnb. So Iā€™m exploring that. Heā€™d have to offer a special rate on the rent, in trade for not having to pay a management company and not having to worry about renters wrecking his house. So he and I will talk about that soon. That wonā€™t likely pan out before August, but if it seems to be coming together, Iā€™ll just plan to move twice (ugh). Iā€™m also thinking of making that same proposal more broadly to my former frequent guests who have family in Berkeley, and on Facebook, in case this former guest turns out to not be serious or able to pull it off. Itā€™s a fine idea. And Iā€™m not ready to give up my Airbnb (which I do also rent out via my own website and sometimes other platforms). If youā€™re curious: www.derbycreekguesthouse.com

1 Like

The guests are the people paying airbnb and the hosts. It only makes sense that airbnb would want to entice more people to use its platform by eliminating fees for the guest. You know airbnb isnā€™t going to lower the amount they take from each booking so whatever they donā€™t get from the guest, theyā€™ll take from the hosts. And they KNOW that we canā€™t say no because airbnb is the best place to rent your STR. Ebay regularly sticks it to the sellers and we know thereā€™s nothing we can do because they have the market cornered. Sellers canā€™t go anywhere else and get the same coverage or salesā€¦ so we shut up and eat the extra fees they keep charging us.

1 Like

Itā€™s just a shell game. If Airbnb moves the fees to my side Iā€™ll raise the price a commensurate amount.

1 Like

Good luck! You sound totally savvy and with it!!

@konacoconutz Thought the video at the end of this article was interesting. If there was ever a question that they are directly in competition this certainly clears that up! B

https://skift.com/2018/04/10/booking-claims-it-beats-airbnb-with-5-million-alternative-accommodations-listings/?utm_campaign=Early%20Time%20Zone%20-%20Skift%20Daily%20Newsletter&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=62037146&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8Pg2A77gNkMVZ3d-_FLKrZwtbawXIOkIE7bIta5aVs_tqwssbXnmlYb-vui-C5WSXZCNiKDY8q9wVAG6hM03FREBR_ng&_hsmi=62037146

1 Like

Iā€™d have to disagree with that statement. Property taxes, home owners insurance, water and sewer bills, mortgage interest, etc. are all bills renters usually donā€™t have to pay.

2 Likes

Well, Iā€™m sure itā€™s case-by-case, but I pay all of my own utilities, and I guarantee you, my landlordā€™s homeowners insurance and property taxes do not bring his costs anywhere near the cost of my rent (weā€™re talking Bay Area). My landlordā€™s mortgage is $3,800. My rent is $8,000. He bought the house before the insane property value escalations that have happened here year-after-year. But even buying it today, there would be no comparison.