Hello Air Hosts.
My first-ever guests just checked out this morning after a five day stay. There were six of them (I think), they rented my 3-bed, 2-bath single family house while I was out of the country on business.
My poor girlfriend has been cleaning the house all afternoon, and after hearing and seeing pictures of some of the “damage,” I had some questions about the general etiquette I should hope to expect from renters in the future if I ever decide to host again.
Obviously, we totally expected to have plenty of cleaning and straightening up to do, but some of it seems a little questionable to me so I wanted to bounce this off of everyone to gauge how reasonable/unreasonable I am being.
Here are some of the things we found:
- Dirty boxer shorts left on bathroom countertop
- Dishes washed, but poorly - everything had to be rewashed
- They clearly cooked with a lot of oil and there is a sheen of it over every surface of the kitchen
- Outdoor rug has what appears to be BBQ sauce stains on it. So does one of the patio seat cushions
- Cigarette and cigar butts found in planter beds even though an ash tray was provided
- They used metal to stir whatever they were cooking in my non-stick pans and they left scratch-marks
- A handful of other sucky things along these lines
I should note, I am an exceptionally clean and particular person, and I fully acknowledge my oversensitivity to a lot of this kind of stuff. Also, while I did leave a house rules/tips&tricks sheet, on which I specified cleanup and check-out procedure, it really only said to clean dishes and kitchen, and strip the beds. I guess I naïvely assumed that they would otherwise make an effort to leave the place as they found it (which was spotless).
What do you guys think - is this totally standard? Should I update my house sheet and be more specific about cleaning up upon check-out? Should I try to get myself a prescription for Xanax?
PS - I totally understand that I can charge a cleaning fee and get a cleaning service in there to do some of this dirty work to spare me and my girlfriend, so no need to point that out. I am living and learning in real time here. I am really just looking for reactions to the guests etiquette and how much I should temper my expectations.