It's official ABB doesn't care about local laws

As many of you know Barcelona has out right banned STR, unless you have a touristic permit. These permits were issued for a short time and our new mayor no longer issues them, allows sale, or transfers. The fine for being caught illegally STR is 30,000 Euro or putting your house on social housing for up to 3 years. This fine is extended to anyone ‘involved’ in your property manager, house keepers, maintenance, etc. The city is not kidding.

Our property manager only manages legal rentals bc of the liability. He was contacted by ABB about a month ago asking if he had other flats in a particular part of town that he could bring on as full home rentals. He said "I’m sorry, that is against the law without a license ". ABB then proceeded to tell him the law was not really a law and he should list the flats until he was fined. He asked if ABB would pay the 30k fine, they of course said no. He ended the call saying ‘Thanks, but no thanks’ but did give the rep his email. He has now received 5 emails from ABB outlining the ‘laws’ and saying he is not breaking any laws if he lists more flats. I was gobsmacked that ABB would push this hard for someone to break the law. As a point of reference here in Barcelona there are 10,000 less ABB listings year over year bc of the penalties and fines.

Just wanted to share my intel…as always your experience may vary.

4 Likes

Well how is ABnB supposed to make any money if people follow the law?:confused:

5 Likes

Az - so is Barcelona doing this to try to force owners to rent to locals?

Thank you for sharing. I have come to the conclusion that Air doesn’t give a shit about anyone. They are willing to take many risks, just hoping they can claim immunity for being an online site only…not responsible for the acts taken by others who choose to advertise with them…

Thanks for sharing that info - it is quite … I don’t know the word for it…

Thanks for sharing with us Azreal :slight_smile: it’s interesting to learn what the laws are like in other areas, and how ABB has been whoring with the local hosts.
It’s the same here in Japan, although the laws here aren’t that stringent. ABB doesn’t give a crap about the laws here either. Only in certain areas in Japan, it’s banned but ABB won’t o anything from stopping hosts from breaking the law. Their only way to “cop out” is by emphasizing that you should observe your local laws, meaning they won’t be responsible if any host ends up breaking the law. The only time they’ll move is when local governments threaten them with lawsuits, like in SF and NY.

Yeah not suprised by this. To be honest Airbnb needs hosts to break the law… it’s what gives them a negotiating position. And it worked in London, where it went from being 100% illegal (most had no idea that was the case) to a tax break for Airbnbers plus a relaxation in planning laws.

2 Likes

We all know that AirBnB sees laws as an inconvenience, and only care about money.

If I were him, I would send these emails to the local media.

Looking forward to what they say at the Open. Without Airbnb I couldn’t have improved my living situation but so much of this is disappointing and frustrating…

1 Like

They have you, like many others, hooked on the “AirBnB-drug” now.

You need them, and they now it…

Do not expect much from the AirBnB, it will all be marketing, and hyping… lot’s of people clapping an cheering for nothing… etc etc.

Proud to be a member of the Airbnb junkie community. Now someone’s gotta think of a rehab program for us junkies;)

1 Like

Ah yes, the little jingle on our phone at 3 am “Congratulations! You have a booking! ‘Johan’ is coming to stay!”

It’s sweet in our family because my husband gets the text, and I get an email. So when his phone signals a text, we stop, listen, and if I get a jingle that I have an email we get happy!

Although…for the last two weeks - ugh. dead dead dead dead dead. Of course, it makes sense; I’m putting another $14,000 into my space…

1 Like

Hilarious! I’m new to hosting, but I’m already feeling that addiction! My husband and I get excited when we hear that little jingle plus a text notification sound! Ha-ha!

@azreala Informative post. The world is constantly changing, and as I posted many times before, the Airbnb model as it is now, will not be sustainable in many places in the long run; not only because of local counter-veiling laws but because it is a too high-maintenance a model. Good luck.

@cabinhost Well there is much more to the story here in Barcelona, that just housing supply being used as touristic rentals. Yes, that is for sure happening, but our current Mayor is against tourism in general. She is a nutty anarchist, and even wanted to stop construction on the new cruise port bc it would bring too many tourists into the city. Let’s just stop there for a second, Barcelona is a tourist city! Our economy depends on tourism, so this thinking is terrible for the city. There is much turmoil here about the ‘gig’ economy , Uber is not allowed, ABB is not allowed,etc. We will see if the policy changes when she eventually gets voted out of office.

@Zandra I agree that ‘pushing’ the laws are sometimes needed to facilitate change. That happened here 3 years ago, and the city hall has continued to make the penalties worse, and they are not letting down on their stance. For ABB to advise residents to put themselves at risk for a 30K Euro fine, is just awful

@Chris He actually thought it was City Hall Enforcement trying to ‘bait’ him into saying he was renting illegally (which he isn’t). He was very skeptical that is was actually ABB, but was verified when they emailed him, multiple times. Going to the media would only put his own business at risk, even thought he only manages legal rentals, he does not need to be in the cross hairs of City Hall.

@Mearns you know I agree with you! Luckily we are fine here in Barcelona. The people below us, was just shut down bc of multiple complaints from our HOA. There flat will now be on social housing for 3 years, which is not good for the prestige of the building, but the community felt it better than a continued stream of partiers. We follow the rules, have a manager, 24 number our neighbors can call whenever, and strictly do nor rent to people looking to party.

To everyone else the responded. Thanks for the comments. We too are addicted to the ABB drug and have been since 2009/10. I think its too long, and we will die with the needle in our arm :joy:

4 Likes

A needle engraved with your house rules. :wink:

2 Likes

Hahahahaha, good one, Az!

2 Likes

I gots jokes for days…

I believe you are in DC – I am about to place an Airbnb listing in Georgetown (entire unit) but heard that there is a new local law that would require the owner to be present in the house, that the home has to comply with the ADA and other requirements. Do you know anything about this? Would you be open to talking with me about your experience? Thanks

“high-maintenance”? I’m not sure what you mean. Care to elaborate?

The ‘share housing economy’ or whatever anyone wants to call it, has so many aspects that are beyond the direct control of Airbnb and moreover the model forces the company into the role of a referee, from afar mind you, between human interaction and self-interest.

One reality was when the industry was small and didn’t draw much attention, another is when is taken to such a much higher level like Airbnb has, and now has a direct economic impact on local economies and interests. It now has gotten the attention of the powerful hotel industry, and of communities that do not want STR at all, presumably because it is ‘stealing’ overall long-term housing. Or adding to other ‘problems’ like creating a ‘hotel’ to what was before just a low-profile ‘home’.

The practice also creates a conflict somewhat in every neighborhood since it changes the rules of housing/guest behavior. And does so in every condominium complex. That is why already in so many locales, local authorities are curtailing it or outright banning it. That is at the macro level.

At the micro level, the company has to ~bet~ on hosts being responsible and honest individuals, again from afar since they have never met them face to face, and at the same time hope guests are of the same ilk, and also hopes those that will start gaming the system do not grow to a large in numbers to ruin the party. The model is a perfect recipe for human conflict and incessant high-maintenance ‘resolutions’ to solve those conflicts.

None of the above I personally wish, if anything because it has been a Godsend to so many individuals economically, including me, but I think that is what is happening and will happen to a much greater degree in the next few years. Until…

Airbnb goes public (IPO), then the founders be rewarded and then it will change. To what? A booking agency of already established businesses, and a booking agency of individual places that will not encounter counter-veiling resistance by virtue of they being more isolated or unique locations. Its a big world, there are a million places they could still list, and do a smashing job for and with.

The future is, who knows. Live for the moment I say. :cocktail: