Item left behind after departure is lost

In Hawaii they steal worse. They have the schedule and the keys so they’ve been caught renting out the place on their own and pocketing the money. Who will ever know? The owners are off the island.

I’ve heard of other “cleaners” throwing giant parties and leaving the place a mess. Cleaners need to be 100 percent trustworthy!

I have heard the worst dishonest cleaner stories from owners from Hawaii!!

1 Like

More than likely you’d go out of your way and get no review. Returning an item isn’t really a review of the accommodations.

Or it could read something like:

"Although she returned my sonic care, the room had cobwebs, the bed was uncomfortable and the host didn’t greet us when we came in at midnight. Also we couldn’t do laundry. Three stars. "

3 Likes

Mind blown…

The Sonicare woman was in the crew, not the one who booked, can she review?

No, only the one who booked… but she could say… my friend’s sonic care was not returned… bla bla…

1 Like

OK, thank you for all your thoughts. Here is what I just sent.

I was not successful in locating your missing item. Apparently the
cleaner thought it was left behind because it was no longer needed and
tossed it. I do apologize. Perhaps you can make a claim for the loss on
the credit card you used to purchase it? I regret that your otherwise
fun weekend ended like this.

Let’s see what happens…

3 Likes

Good message. They will be more careful next time!

2 Likes

I once had a couple who forgot their iPad under their pillow. As they were traveling through France I shipped it the same day to their next destination, and they got it. I asked them to reimburse me for the shipping costs via PayPal, which they did.

I would never lie about something like that, that’s awful - also, Karma is a b!tch if you pull crap like that.

1 Like

No one even came close to suggesting that anyone STEAL a guest’s item!

1 Like

Finder’s keepers, losers weepers!

The Sonicare forgetter sent me a sort of snarky answer, oh well… So, Air informed me the fellow who booked left me a review, so I left him one as well. I really had no reason to mention “the sonicare problem” and my interaction with him was great and departure was on time with no issues, so I gave him thumbs up, 5 stars and a nice review. Thankfully, his review was very nice as well. Case closed!

6 Likes

I am glad the issue is resolved but I would like to add my input. A toothbrush is a personal item with germs and I consider all toothbrushes to be “private” yucky items. Yes I would keep an iPad and see that it is returned. No I would not keep a toothbrush, no matter how expensive. The cleaning staff was correct to toss a toothbrush and the guests were correct to accept the loss. Additionally, after thinking about this one more day…as a regular user of sonicare and also a frequent traveler, nobody needs or should bring a sonicare on a short term vacation of less than a month. Leave the gadget at home and use a regular toothbrush while on vacation. No host, or hotel, or anyone should have to be responsible for a toothbrush, or returning it.

4 Likes

I was skimming the content, I saw a comment “I don’t think you are responsible for lost items. After all it’s her that forgot it.” and stand-alone it can be interpreted many different ways, if you know what I mean - it’s nothing personal!! Each to their own.

6 posts were split to a new topic: What to do about item guest claimed was left behind

Hi @konacoconutz,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I noticed the similarity. But people can get attached to their things.

1 Like

Wow, @jaquo. You really sound super-organized. Can you always tell when guests are leaving? Or do you arrange to meet them before they leave?

I don’t have a formal checkout message I sent guests, though I do routinely meet then for a checkout. Though in the case of guests leaving early, I do that checkout the evening before. Do I really have to send guests a message telling them to check for belonging before leaving?

I have a small magnetic sign on the fridge with check out instructions. One of the bullet points is to check the room for personal belongings such as chargers.

I ask them, so yes, :slight_smile:

I know, we really shouldn’t have to. Whenever I’m leaving a hotel or other accommodation the last thing I do is check everywhere to make sure I have everything.

But when the reminder is ‘hidden’ in a message that thanks them for staying, asking them if there’s anything I can do to help them check out etc., then it’s fairly unobtrusive.

Maybe I should put up a sign in the room or something.