It could be risky to say "no children" in your Airbnb listing

If people want to bring their own baby cots, bedding, highchairs, baths, bottles and sanitisers, and all the rest of the paraphernalia that babies apparently require, I honestly don’t care. But I am not going to provide any of it, so I think its unlikely that many multiple birthers are going to want to stay at my home.

I’m a bit late to this thread and it would take a lot of time reading through 127 posts…but is this really true about Airbnb forcing hosts to allow children, if I am reading this correctly? It is not clear.

What if you are renting a room in your primary residence? My home is not childproof and I am not used to having children around. I have many touch-worthy things, and along with parts of the house a hazard to children.

No, Airbnb is not forcing hosts to allow children. You’ll need to read more through the post to get all the details.
Two things are happening. One has to do with Airbnb, the other has to do with laws in the USA.

(1) Airbnb is apparently telling guests that “infants come for free” (age 0-2), even though many hosts do charge for infants, in fact they charge for every human being. So there is a conflict here – AIrbnb, which has many times said in its terms of service that “Airbnb has no right to run your listing”, is essentially doing just that – trying to run people’s listings, by dictating to hosts what their terms will be. Airbnb is trying to encourage hosts to believe that they can dictate all their terms and preferences for how many adults or kids they will accept in their house rules – because Airbnb wants hosts to think they can use instant book. But the fact is, in the USA, one can’t limit number of kids (or say “zero” kids) in one’s house rules, as that’s not legal per US law.

(2) US law prohibits anyone, regardless of whether they are renting a room in their home, or a whole apartment, from stating “no children” in their advertising for rentals. THis has been the case for many years, but only lately have we seen news reports about people getting sued over this. THose offering rooms may legally refuse to rent to families with kids, but may not say so in their ads, so it’s basically a “don’t ask don’t tell” type of law. You can do something but you can’t talk about it.

That’s very disturbing. I did not allow children because it was for their safety. I would be nervous with little kids in my home because of what I described in my previous post. Maybe I should change my listing and make it clear that my house is not childproof and make sure parents supervise them at all times.

If I add the clause " for insurance purposes" do you think this wording in house rules would work?:

• We need the names of each guest who will be using the unit when you request to stay. If any are infants/children please indicate that as well. If the occupants change for any reason we need to know prior to arrival.
      Any other suggestions you would make? I am hesitant to ask for ages due to raising the issue of discrimination, but if you think it is a non issue I can ammend that.

I have added in my rules a description of the areas which potential guests need to consider before booking with children or elderly guests, specifically that there is an open staircase leading down to the exit of the apartment and potential guests need to take that into consideration when booking.
I don’t know what your concerns are, but if, for instance, there are fragile items you might be able to indicate that and state that guests will be held responsible for breakage?
Does anyone see a problem with this?

Yes – you can state “for insurance purposes” although I would guess that if something is considered “illegal” to state, according to FHA rules, it doesn’t matter for what purpose you state it, whether insurance or otherwise. But it’s not illegal to ask for names of guests, and it’s not illegal to ask if guest intends to bring any infants/children, and it’s not illegal to ask ages. For instance – it’s illegal to discriminate on the basis of national origin, but it’s not illegal to ask a guest what country they are from. Simply asking for information doesn’t imply you are making a decision on that basis.

Let them host and let them declare their preferences, which I’d rather know in advance so I don’t end up staying in a place where I’m disliked.

4 Likes

Well, the problem with expecting guests to be responsible for breakage, is the follow-through. There’s your house rules in theory and then there’s trying to uphold the security deposit in practice. Many hosts find that even though they state clearly that guests are responsible for breakage, and guests did break something, it’s a whole other ball game to try to get reimbursed by Airbnb for the damage. You can add things to your house rules about breakage until you’ve covered yourself backwards and forwards and sideways and upside down clarifying that guests are responsible for breakage, but if Airbnb won’t pay you, then Airbnb won’t pay you out of their security deposit.

This is why many hosts don’t simply blindly hope to get paid for damage, they seek guests who they have assessed as less likely to cause damage. Though admittedly that isn’t so easy to do!!

That’s my view on it too. I don’t see the point of putting duct tape over people’s mouths so that you don’t know enough about who you’re booking with, and then end up going to stay with someone you end up feeling very uncomfortable with. Yes, the host has followed nondiscrimination policy and let you stay in their home…but what’s the point, if there’s a tense co-existence throughout, because people basically are who they are and no law or policy is going to change that? That’s why I think it’s disingenuous to assert that nondiscrimination policies are simply intended to allow people equal opportunity. What’s the point of equal opportunity if you find yourself in a hostile or unfriendly environment? Do the laws then have to go further and mandate that people can’t feel certain feelings or think certain thoughts, because those feelings and thoughts create an unfriendly environment to some? It’s awkward. The intention of the nondiscrimination policies is good, but you can’t legislate compassion, and you can’t create kindness and openness through passing laws and policies.

1 Like

I agree with you. As someone mentioned here (maybe it was you), it does depend on the context. Many years ago certain people had to use separate restrooms and drink from different drinking fountains, attend different schools, until anti-discrimination legislation slowly emerged to tackle those types of inequities.

But if I’m choosing a Bnb I’d surely want to know if I’m welcome there.

1 Like

An EXCELLENT point! This goes both ways.

When my children were young the last thing I would want to do on vacation would be to spend all day making sure they didn’t harm themselves or someones’ valuables because the place wasn’t appropriate for children.

I know this will probably not be a popular opinion here, but if I saw an ad that said “no African Americans”, no “transexuals” or whatever it may be. I’d be glad to know up front. Those were not the type of hosts I would ever choose to stay with. Bigotry obviously still exists, but when it’s out in the open at least I know and will choose to take my business elsewhere. Each new generation opposes bigotry in any form more and more. It’s repudiated by the vast majority of millennials, for instance. These bigots will suffer the consequences of their own backwardness. In the case of “no children” in a listing…I’d prefer to know up front, if kids are really welcome or not. If I’m traveling with small children, I’d really rather not stay in a place that is dangerous for kids or where the host just despises kids or whatever. There would always be plenty of other options that were “kid friendly” thatwould be more comfortable and suitable for children and their parents. Markets forces will always drive what is offered.

1 Like

I am in the same situation…I rent out a room rather than the entire home. It directly affects my quality of sleep when an infant is up all night. Can you imagine being at work all day just to come home and find your Christmas tree has been knocked over by a toddler? When I found out about the discrimination law I simply changed my maximum guests allowed to “1” thinking that this would be the solution to making it impossible for children yet not mentioning “no children”. I quit Airbnb. It is no fun now and I believe Air is going to lose a lot more of their hosts – good five star Superhosts because of all their changes.

1 Like

I’m not happy with that new policy either. But there’s no law saying I can’t discourage parents from bringing children, such as explaining the hazards in the house. That’ll make parents think about it.

Thank you for this idea… for the rules…

So do you think it is now safe to check those 2 boxes? Or should we leave them unchecked?