Is your STR in the path of the Oct 14 2023 solar eclipse?

If your rental is in the path of the 2023 solar eclipse are you opening your calendar early? To see detail of the best viewing go (be patient, slow to load):

Simple map

1 Like

No, a few hours away from peak view and I could see people stopping overnight here on their way to a location to see it. In the US it will go across a huge swath of very sparsely populated territory, but also unlikely to be cloudy. I may be gone somewhere myself. Northern NM is already magic even without a celestial event.

2 Likes

Looks like my area will not have another total eclipse until 2078. I doubt I’ll be here for that one (if Betty White couldn’t make it to 100, I doubt I’ll make 108).
Now an eclipse viewing vacation in the next few years sounds appealing

1 Like

The last eclipse was right over our place. It was earlier in our hosting too so I had not priced our place to take that into account as I didn’t even know it was going to happen!

A guy booked my place as he knew it. I lost a good $$ opportunity so you are so kind to help other hosts not miss theirs.

3 Likes

I just realized that there’s an even bigger eclipse event on April 8, 2024. The one in 2023 isn’t a “total” eclipse.

I’m not in the path of either but since both are passing through TX, hosts in the path of either should be aware and even those of us on the way to and from should be aware. It’s more my style to block the dates and then open much closer to the event.

3 Likes

Darn. We will miss out on both.

2 Likes

At the time of the eclipse in our first year of hosting (2018, I think), we got asked about making eclipse reservations for 2024–seven years later!

2 Likes

The one where someone looked up at the sun directly without eye protection from a White House balcony? 2017.

4 Likes

Me too ……………………….……

Yup. That one. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Looks like I might be in the path of the April 2024 total. Path shows a bit north of me, but I can’t imagine that makes too much difference.

Also for people who want to view totality, they don’t necessarily have to stay in the path, just be in the path during the time of the eclipse. I could easily see your town being completely booked up and people who don’t have cars sign up for buses out to viewing locations.

1 Like

Yes we are in the path of the eclipse. Not sure what to do this far in advance!

I’d block my calendar and wait. Let others fill up first and deal with the folks whose plans change when they book so far in advance. Then when you are ready to list and know what you want to ask you can open your calendar with market price.

3 Likes

We are not in the 100% path, but, we are close. In the 90% path. Not sure if that’s close enough to benefit from it.
Edit: We are close to the 2024 total eclipse. Not the 2023 one.

Oh, yes, I think it is.

Look here and they show the central line of the path and the northern and southern bands. You can see these for 2024 eclipse in the first article and both in the second.

1 Like

We’re in the path for the 2024 eclipse. And we already have a guest for that one.

3 Likes

It astounds me that people make travel plans 2 and a half years in advance.

Thank you for sharing. For 2024 my home is in the 80% band. My rental is in the 40% band. Good to know.

2023 my areas probably won’t notice any effect of the eclipse. Oh well-still good to know.

1 Like

Some people are planners.

Years ago there was a show on TV for children, filmed in Chicago (my hometown) called at the time, Bozo’s Circus. The show was for small kids. Since I planned to eventually marry and have kids, I signed up for the waiting list, for the maximum tickets, when I was still single. The waiting list was ten years long.

Sure enough, about ten years later my name came up. By then I was married and had a four year old daughter. She and her friends were delighted when we could take them all to the live show, where many kids get to participate on air.

So, I can easily imagine a planning guest locking in a price for a stay along the path of the 2023 or 2024 solar eclipses. Just as I see we have here a few planning hosts who would block those dates to get better prices closer to the actual events.

Planning pays (sometimes).

1 Like