Is this why some guests don't read listings and house rules before booking?

Bahahahaha!! That is pathetic and hilarious. I had to laugh out loud.

It gets better. The one activity that one of them hasn’t complained about is eating at Wendy’s. He raved about how good their burgers taste.

Haha! The LA fast-food tour! At least there is something they aren’t complaining about.

1 Like

Haven’t they left yet???

No, they are here until Wednesday. Now the bigger whiner said that there’s nothing to do at Griffith Observatory. He did find something else he liked, Denny’s Restaurant, although he found it to be expensive.

1 Like

Totally agree! I don’t accept people over 50 anymore - they simply DON’T get it…

I have had wonderful guests who were over 50. I just had a woman from Alaska who was here to help her son and his family pack to move back to Alaska. She is over 60. She was self-sufficient, loved our place and left a great review. We hosted a woman in her 70s who has a son who lives across the street from us. She was self-sufficient, friendly and left us a great review. These are just two of many great older guests we’ve hosted.

Sorry but I think that is awful!

I am well over fifty and I’m a great guest. As a host, I find that people in their 50s, 60s and 70s are far more respectful. They are quieter, tidier and cleaner. They are also a lot more ecologically aware and recycle properly and make efficient use of utilities.

When you say ‘they don’t get it’ what is the ‘it’ they don’t get?

1 Like

And they drink better wine! Great when they share. :wink:

4 Likes

My last two over 60 were good, quiet guests but did spend an inordinate amount of time in the room.

Talking about reading listings and house rules, I’m finding that guests are getting better at this. Recently, I’ve had guests who have said ‘we chose your place because we love the house rules of no partying and the quiet hours’.

Our current guests said that they had chosen to stay with us because our listing says (nicely) that we do not accept children. (Therefore a lack of kid noises).

I’ve had recent guests who have appreciated the fact that we do not allow pets because of their allergies.

I’m getting more and more bookings from people who say that they chose us because of the location, the reviews or the view from the rental.

Is this a new trend? Are guests suddenly starting to actually read?

I’ve had over 400 guests and I find any age related stereotypes to be unsupported by my experience. I’ve had guests of all ages who were varying degrees of quiet, tidy, clean, knowledgeable about recycling and in the habit of saving energy and water.

2 Likes

The whole idea of shared economy. Because money is involved they think they must be getting something extra from staying at someone’s house rather than a hotel. It’s a never-ending stream of demands and attention seeking. I do make exceptions for other hosts though - they seem to be more capable of handling life in general. This topic was addressed not so long ago on the forum:

I must be reading this incorrectly. Surely you’re not saying that people over 50 don’t ‘get’ the sharing economy? People of my mother’s generation knew more about it than we do today.

The topic you quoted is typical - ‘after one year of hosting…’

After only one year of hosting, no-one can identify a trend. That’s certainly not long enough to identify a global trend as in a mere year, hosting and guests can be affected by many factors.

Regarding age differences, take a look at surveys. They invariably group people by age. (10% of people under 25 do such-and-such, whereas 26% of people over 60 etc…) and this isn’t stereotyping, it’s categorising. But just as a survey of 1000 people isn’t indicative of the population, one year of hosting isn’t enough to identify a meaningful trend.

1 Like

When you turn 50 I hope you remember your comments! (If you’re fortunate you’ll get there too.) Hopefully people won’t treat you the way you treat 50+ people now. Then again, it’s what you’ll deserve, idn’t it?

Yeah, I get some older people (MUCH older than 50) who ask a lot of questions, but they aren’t usually questions that are already answered in my listing. At least they take the time to read what is posted. And I usually don’t mind answering those because they are at least interesting instead of the bleeding obvious.

I agree with @jaquo they nearly always leave the house nicely, zero complaints from neighbors and I have much more peace of mind during their stay.

In short… send your 50+ guests my way. I’ll take them!

3 Likes

I absolutely agree. Hosts (i.e. you and me) are certainly more capable of handling life in general. We are simply more intelligent, more polite and generally much better behaved than “ordinary people” :grin:

I had one 74 year old woman this year traveling with her son. They went to 23 “pubs” creating their own beer crawl, plus the three beer “factory” tours. She sprinted up our steep hill and then bounded up the three flights of stairs to their rooms. Previous trips had been to Kentucky, for a bourbon exploration. You get the idea. She comes from the UK twice a year to visit her son, and the two of them head out in his custom built GM to find alcohol. They were great fun!

And they are not alone. I get lots of older guests and with only one exception, they have “gotten” it just fine.

3 Likes

Ah well, that explains it - we’re famous for our boozing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When you are 27, a year seems like a long time. :wink:

1 Like

I’m curious too. I just had a 20 something here that didn’t “get it”…like how to clean a stovetop after frying eggs, or how to hang a used towel on a towel rack rather than stuffing in back into the cabinet on top of clean towels…I could go on…