Is this why some guests don't read listings and house rules before booking?

You can see yourself that its Hipmonk. It’s an aggregate travel site and not all listings are Airbnb. When it shows a listing from Airbnb, then it gives brief details and the viewer is taken to the Airbnb site to find out more details or to book. Here is the company’s Wikipedia page.

If you click on any other listing then you are taken to the relevant site - Lonely Planet etc. booking.com etc. These sites have affiliate programs so the site makes commission when people book from their links. Airbnb used to have an affiliate program as far as I remember which is probably why some listings are included.

You can tell which listing are Airbnb because they have the logo on the photograph.

It’s all above board.

Thank you for letting me know that Uber isn’t expensive here. I assumed that it was much less expensive in London as they’ve been complaining about the price of Uber non-stop since they arrived. They started by complaining that it costs $18.00 to get here from the airport. I explained to them that there is an airport charge and that a taxi would have cost over $40.00.

So far this morning, one of them left the refrigerator wide open. I noticed because the refrigerator emits a loud alarm when it’s left open for a period of time. He ignored the alarm. Ugh.

It’s getting comical. One of them just walked in, handed my my manual can opener, and asked if it would be possible for me to open a tin for him.

2 Likes

Have they never traveled or lived on their own before? Are they that sheltered???

Seven more nights…??

1 Like

I don’t know about travel, but I assume they live on their own. Yes, it’s going to be a loooong seven nights.

2 Likes

I just hate it when guests don’t GET a place. And then complain about every little thing. Let’s hope they do not leave a review because you know that they are going to make you sound like you have too many rules and that you are too far out. They should just get the bus, geeze. Uber is expensive if you are just using it to go to In and Out or Carl’s Jr. and back. Sheesh.

1 Like

Thanks for the support. I’m not worried about a review. We have 310 reviews, almost all overwhelmingly positive. If they leave a negative review, they’ll just look like they are outliers. I’d be glad to deter anyone who thinks I have too many rules.

The main problem for me now is that I think I’ll need to be home whenever they are home as I need to correct their errors. Thankfully almost all of our guests have been wonderful.

1 Like

Lol bad luck. 100% uber is cheaper in LA though admittedly you have to game the system sometimes and wait 10-15 minutes if the the price is too high. I once got an uberpool to Trader Joes for under 2 dollars. I couldn’t believe it !!

2 Likes

Zandra, maybe you can help me figure out how to communicate distance to foreign guests. Our current guests are from halfway between London and Surrey. They asked us for our cross streets before they booked, saying that they would use Google maps to see if our location was good for proximity to the sights they want to see. As I’ve mentioned, they’ve been complaining non-stop about the distances between our house and the places they want to go to and the distances between the different places they want to go to. This morning they complained that they thought we were closer to Venice Beach. We are five miles from Venice Beach which to an Angelino is very close. What can we put in our listing that will be more clear than we are now that in Los Angeles you have to change your view of how long it should take to get to where you want to go?

They’re just being ridiculous. If they’re from around Surrey they will be well used to driving to get anywhere as it’s out in the suburbs. It’s really only central London that you have such fantastic public transport. Out in the burbs it can be 30 minutes between services so everyone drives. You just have two complainers on your hands, it’s nothing to do with whether your listing is accurate.

3 Likes

Bahahahaha!! That is pathetic and hilarious. I had to laugh out loud.

It gets better. The one activity that one of them hasn’t complained about is eating at Wendy’s. He raved about how good their burgers taste.

Haha! The LA fast-food tour! At least there is something they aren’t complaining about.

1 Like

Haven’t they left yet???

No, they are here until Wednesday. Now the bigger whiner said that there’s nothing to do at Griffith Observatory. He did find something else he liked, Denny’s Restaurant, although he found it to be expensive.

1 Like

Totally agree! I don’t accept people over 50 anymore - they simply DON’T get it…

I have had wonderful guests who were over 50. I just had a woman from Alaska who was here to help her son and his family pack to move back to Alaska. She is over 60. She was self-sufficient, loved our place and left a great review. We hosted a woman in her 70s who has a son who lives across the street from us. She was self-sufficient, friendly and left us a great review. These are just two of many great older guests we’ve hosted.

Sorry but I think that is awful!

I am well over fifty and I’m a great guest. As a host, I find that people in their 50s, 60s and 70s are far more respectful. They are quieter, tidier and cleaner. They are also a lot more ecologically aware and recycle properly and make efficient use of utilities.

When you say ‘they don’t get it’ what is the ‘it’ they don’t get?

1 Like

And they drink better wine! Great when they share. :wink:

4 Likes

My last two over 60 were good, quiet guests but did spend an inordinate amount of time in the room.