Is this how it works?

I can understand a host wanting to see IDs when the guests check in, but I can’t see why a host would need the phone numbers of the rest of the booking guest’s party.

Have you had a situation where having the phone numbers of the accompanying guests would have been extremely helpful?

Not understanding. I am talking about their names only.

I quite like preserving a guest’s anonymity, if that’s what they want. Often, when guest arrive and I’ve introduced myself and shaken hands with the booking guest, I look encouragingly to the second guest who will smile but not give me their name.

The only reason for this (that I can think of anyway) is that the couple isn’t a regular couple and they don’t want me to put both names in the review.

:wink:

Could Air needing all details of all guests put off the ‘affairs and stolen weekends’ market?

I have never booked as a guest, but KKC, who does often, said upthread that while there was a place to input it, it wasn’t “required” to list the information of those accompanying the booking guest.

Airbnb shares guests’ phone numbers after the reservation is confirmed. When you open ‘inbox’, open a conversation and look at the detail on the right panel, you will see it under the boxes of ‘Send or request money’ and ‘Call’. It’s very tiny.

What, they’ve suddenly developed a moral conscience? Guess they’ll be stopping the automatic suspension of hosts’ listings based solely on some refund-scamming guest’s unsupported allegations, then. :wink:

1 Like

This discussion was created because, while airbnb shares the name (and phone number) of THE PRIMARY GUEST, it does NOT share any information that airbnb has requested about other guests.

The reason I am writing about this is that I feel that this information, even if it is just the name of the secondary guest(s), would be helpful to the host.

1 Like

You are absolutely right. I requested all guests’ official names, but there were always people ignoring the request. Sometimes I let it slide to avoid bad feelings…

To me, it sounds like your friend is not going to be with you on this reservation. If that is the case, unless airbnb changed the rules, it is a third-party booking which is not permitted. I would have had you cancel the booking and re-book under your name. If you did not have an account, they you would need to set up one before booking but I would work with you to set it up correctly.

I also request all info for all guests booked. It’s clearly stated in my rules but not everyone takes the time to read the rules.

Other hosts - has the rules to third-party bookings changed?

No, that is not true. My friend and I will be in the reservation together.

It was commented by my friend that airbnb, not the host, were asking for my information. With Airbnb only one person (or sometimes a couple) can make a reservation and have other people join them. With couples, or even a small group of people, it still gets down to the one person who has the credit card. This was not a third-party reservation…

Yes I understand how airbnb works but you stated that your friend made the reservation for you not that you were staying with your friend in an airbnb that they booked.

There is a lot of misunderstanding in this post for some reason. Here’s a recap of what I think I’ve understood and said:

1. Airbnb does NOT require guest names.
  2. I will share a screenshot the next time I make a booking which should be within
    the month to either confirm or admit error.
  3. I can’t recall if Airbnb does or doesn’t share guest names. Because I don’t care, I
    haven’t paid attention.
  4. Airbnb does NOT require guest names.
2 Likes

Except Airbnb required the booking person to give them the name and email address of the second guest. So until you can disprove one and four, you should remove them. Your comment is inaccurate until you can prove otherwise.

No, they absolutely did not. This is absolutely not a requirement. It is an option and has been an option for at least 10 or 12 years that I recall.

Your friend asked you for your name and email address to add to the optional line that suggests that you can add a guest’s email if you want so that they are included with the reservation. It is not a requirement.

It is only presented after the reservation is confirmed and paid for, inherently preventing it from being a requirement.

1. Either your friend misunderstood the optional suggestion and/or misrepresented it to you.

or

1. You misunderstood what your friend told you about it.

I’ve booked a lot of Airbnbs, many just recently and every single time that I complete (and pay for) a reservation I am given the option of submitting the email address of my guest(s) or even someone who might be interested in the trip that is not even going on the trip (e.g. I could enter any email I wanted) but I am not required to enter anything at all.

There is a literal “Skip This” button that can be clicked or the page can safely be simply closed since this option is only presented once the reservation is confirmed and payment is completed.

I am most commonly traveling only with my husband and never ever put his email address in on this completely optional line because we will be together and he will ask me for any information about the booking that he is interested in so there is no reason for his email address to be added to the reservation.

However, there have been a few times when I’ve booked an Airbnb and my cousin and her husband are going to meet us at the Airbnb so I include her email address on this truly optional line. That is because they will be traveling separately from us and from a different starting point than us and putting her email address on the reservation allows her to access the booking, check out the listing for the amenities, look at the pictures, etc and find directions to the listing without me having to send her the information myself. It is merely a convenience that is and has been an option for years.

Although this option is given immediately after confirming and paying for the reservation it is also possible to add someone’s email at a later date as well. Here is the Help article that describes how and why you might want to do that:

As you can see it is not a requirement.

In my experience, only about 15-20% of guests take advantage of this option but when they do I do indeed see their guest(s)’ name and can even link to the guest(s)’ profile(s) if they have one. This is also why you will see some guest reviews that say "from a trip booked by other-name-than-the-guest. Because if you add your guest to the reservation the review for the trip will show on their profile (which is probably why some people use this option, so that their guests get benefit from a good review).

One caveat is that sometimes there is a host that personally requires that all guests be added to the reservation in their House Rules. However, that is a host-specific requirement that the booking guest use this OPTION and not a requirement by Airbnb nor the Airbnb system.

1 Like

Then you can ask for the name of the secondary guest. Some hosts do. Put it in your House Rules that you require the name of their guest or even put in your House Rules that you require that they add their guest to the reservation. Explain to them that they will see the option to do so when they complete the reservation and can add it at that time or give them the link I include above to show them how to add it later. If you want the information you can ask for it or require it but there is nothing in the system that does it for you.

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I was ‘told’ that it was part of the booking process but was told it was a requirement and not a skip; my friend was incorrect.

Again, thanks for this. This is why I come to this forum - for information…

Thanks for trying to do some science for us Rolf.

I’m guessing Airbnb could use extra guests emails to:

1. link reviews of the host to multiple guests.
  • flagging multiple ‘problem’ guests after a party complaint by host. I think many of us have seen reviews on guests requesting to stay with us, but there are no prior trips on the requester’s profile.
  1. marketing to extra guests (get them on the platform.)

3} reporting compliance in some countries.

1. sharing trip details that would save time for booker telling the other guests? House manual, house rules, wifi, directions, etc (I like this concept for like 3 families staying in a house driving to host separately)

Can anyone think of any other use cases?

In my house rules as a host, I do ask that a guest agrees to list all guest names and phone numbers as well as cars to be parked and license plates. I do this as i have had an issue with smoke alarms due to fireplace not being used properly, firemen arrive on site, incurring charges for these visits…i need to be able to reach the guest(s). It also helps with guests transparency as to the visit. All guests have no issue with this, except the guests that are doing something they shouldnt, such as inviting more ppl than allowed, parties, etc. They push back and it is always due to this problem. Having them agree beforehand sorts out good guests from not so good ones. It protects my beautifully appointed home and gives peace of mind. When i explain these issues to a guest they understand and have no issue sharing.

2 Likes

I think most of us do. But since airbnb also does this, as part of the reservation process, it would seem smart for airbnb to share that with us.

Good for you! At what point of the booking process do you require all that information? Before approval when your potential guests send a booking request? I assume you have direct booking disabled? We’re still fine tuning our guest-sorting process… So I would like to know how you’re doing it. Thanks in advance.