Is this entitled language?

Wow good to know I’d avoid hosts who did this @house_plants

2 Likes

Thanks. I wish freeloaders would avoid my listing, but they don’t :frowning:

So, I would mention this in the review only if they repeatedly requested an early check-in when I had said it was unavailable, or had requested an early and free check-in so early as to be unreasonable. In each case I wouldn’t characterize it, but just matter-of-factly relate it.

Our listing has a 4 pm check-in. Based on a tip I received here we say that if a check in before 3 pm is requested and available the additional charge is 50% of the nightly rate, including charges for additional guests.

However – and I cannot explain or justify my behavior here – we sometimes give the early check-in before, even well before 3 pm, if available at no charge. I think my thinking is that if a guest seems to be entitled or unreasonable in asking for an early check-in, say at 10 am., I am likely to remind them of this rule. If the guest is very nice about it, and it’s available, I’m likely just to give it to them. I really react to the tone and content of the request.

I’m not sure if this is ‘right’ or ‘smart’ hosting. I really haven’t fully thought it through, but this is what we do.

Letting you know they may check if early check in is available on the day is not harassing you. @house_plants

You asked for feedback and every host who replied suggested you were overreacting .

Seems you haven’t changed your mindset . Not sure what the point of your initial post was :grin:

3 Likes

So now I’m a free loader because I don’t want to book with a host who doesn’t seem to understand the concept of hospitality- interesting @house_plants

3 Likes

In which category?..

1 Like

I disagree. What guests ask for from a host is some of the most useful information that a review can possibly contain. It is actionable and practical information, unlike “guest was a good communicator and respectful of my house rules…”.

And regardless of what the request may have been, the information is equally useful to a host that cannot provide the same as it is to a host that can provide it.

I’ve personally, been on both sides of the early check-in requests attitude and have also had years when I couldn’t provide an early check in and years now when I can and do provide it. That information would’ve served me as much then as it would now.

1 Like

To me, there is nothing wrong with a guest asking, and I agree that if they continue to ask or demand when they have already been told no, that is harrassment.

However, giving a guest a 1* in all categories review, if they otherwise were non-problematic, is unfair, and misleading to other hosts (asking for an early check-in may be quite situational, such as an early morning flight, and never be asked for on future bookings) . A lowered communication rating, depending on how their other communication was, would be warranted, but certainly not 1* in the other categories, just because they were annoying about early check-in.

Asking for early check-in doesn’t fall under disrepecting house rules, IMO- following house rules has to do with behavior, not words. If they showed up early, ignoring the no early check-in rule, or didn’t respect check-out time, that would fall under the house rules category, but just asking, even if they ask repeatedly and annoyingly, is a communication issue.

2 Likes

You will punish them for their interaction? You will punish them for their grammar? You will punish them for their curtness? Hmmmm…

4 Likes

And for not having English as a first language :frowning: @Rolf

3 Likes

The OP seems to think guests should be rated on his/her own annoyance level. It’s like guests giving a low rating for check-in because they couldn’t figure out how to open the door.

3 Likes

It also seems like the OP thinks it’s perfectly okay to give a low rating for a ridiculous reason but if they get one for a ridiculous reason they should successfully petition to have it removed. I can see the review removal process entering a downward spiral to the point that we are back to all reviews reflect the experience of the person submitting it and we are going to let it stand.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, when was that? :rofl:

It must’ve been some time prior to Airbnb completely defiling the otherwise well-established 5-point rating system, by declaring that “5” is the only rating higher than zero. :rofl:

1 Like

Here’s a thread about it and a link the the article that uses the language about reviews reflecting the author’s experience.

Given your laugh emojis I’m guessing there’s a joke that I’m not getting involved but my brain can’t seem to process what that is today.

Where is she from? Her messages sound like she doesn’t speak English and it’s a translation from what she speaks.

Yeah, we missed each other on that one. :slightly_smiling_face:

ha, you sound like me. I’m fully aware, but there are certain types who I suspect always ask for more, more, and more (this is also in line with certain cultures in my experience). They don’t need early check in due to flights arriving early, or they are going to a wedding and want the extra hour to prep before heading out at 2pm, or even trying to work around kid nap times. Those situations I understand and accommodate. I guess I just have a gut feeling for this behavior, and it’s actually not that often that I put those details in a review, in fact I think I’ve only done it once, when the guest was really rather entitled.

1 Like

Actually, it sounds to me like English is not her first language, that’s all. I interpreted it as she’s fine with the regular time but used confusing language following that. I don’t read “entitled”.

2 Likes

I agree with your assessment

I have several “quick replies” at the ready. I believe the proper wording deflects any animosity from “being denied”:

Hi [guest first name],
I’m sorry, but early check-in is not possible at this time. We have guests scheduled to check out at noon on the day you check in, and we need the time to properly clean and prepare the cabin in order to give you the best experience possible. We appreciate your understanding.
-Bob & Tam

Or:
Hi [guest first name]! Thanks for your inquiry! We won’t know if we can offer early check-in until closer to the date. It depends on whether there will be a guest checking out at noon that same day. If that ends up being the case, we will need a certain amount of time to properly clean and prepare the cabin in order to give you the best experience possible. We appreciate your understanding. What check-in time are you requesting?
Bob & Tam

Or:
Hi [guest first name],
We are happy to accommodate your request. You may check in as early as noon [or whatever time we choose to type].
-Bob & Tam

We also have this one I use all the time. I send it as soon as we’re locking up after a same-day turnover, sometimes we finish early. With a 4 PM check-in, this let’s them know that if they’re ahead of schedule they needn’t delay their arrival. Many times we get a reply thanking us and updating us with their ETA:
Hi [guest first name],
The cabin is all ready for you! Feel free to check in anytime!
Bob & Tam

EDIT TO ADD: Sometimes saying “no” like this makes it less personal. Instead of the guest feeling like you’re being stingy or petty or whatever and choosing to not give them this thing, it gives them a plausible actual reason to accept why they CAN’T have early check-in… because it’s for their own good. And then letting them know when it’s ready early, lets them feel like they’re getting something for free.

1 Like