Is this allowed and is it rude?

I rented my lowest rated (most expensive) room to my brother last summer for $10 per night. He and my sister-in-law wrote an honest 5 star review, and my SIL gave me her unvarnished review/suggested improvements/complaints in person. They stay in AirBnBs when they travel, and sometimes Air their downstairs apartment in their house in Mexico, so she was full of suggestions, some of which were totally impractical for this location or for the kind of guests I usually host.

It seems like most guests will do this. I have a whole house rental on the Jersey Shore and the max was 8 guests. Several times the neighbors informed me that there were 10-12 guests staying at the house. Each time confronted, the guests would deny it. The ring camera is on the front door but guests were using the other door to enter so I could not see them at the door. Installed another camera on the second door but then they would go through the glass sliding doors.

So I removed two of the beds (twin size) so that it only accommodates 6 and I no longer leave out extras. I used to have extra towels, pillows, sheets, comforters, etc. Now it’s all gone! If they bring extra guests, they will have to sleep on the bare floor!

I wait till the end of the time allowed to review guests, and I give them a negative review indicating they had extra guests and a thumbs down. I plan on installing another camera where the glass sliding doors are located but I’m tired of playing hide and seek with the guests!

One of my units is for 2 guests only; several months ago a guest booked a stay during Christmas for over a week for 2 adults; a week later he contacted me about adding another adult and a baby. I didn’t think 3 adults and a baby would be comfortable and refused to agree to the extra guests, offering a larger apartment in the same building for about 10% more. The guest declined. I stood firm and contacted Airbnb; when contacted by Airbnb he offered more money to stay in the smaller apartment. Conclusion: Airbnb supported me and cancelled the reservation.

4 Likes

The magic word is invaluable for me. My rules are long because it’s a homeshare, and because it’s a summary of proper behavior. But it’s an easy read, and common sense.

Without fail, if somebody “can’t find it” it’s because they haven’t read them.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to then also request the additional person fees (is you don’t have them, add them to your listing). I also suggest indicating that the rate for unauthorized guests will be much more (in my case authorized is $20 and unauthorized is $50).

2 Likes

Great idea! Thank you so much : )

1 Like

Have you ever had to collect or does the extra fee deter the sneaking in? I just charge my normal extra guest fee ($15) and have to collect it about 4 times a year. I was thinking to raising the fee to cover the $80 annual subscription for my two Nest cameras.