Is there a list of bad guests for hosts to read?

For all those who kindly took the time to answer the question of a ‘bad guest list’ and put forward their opinions and concerns - thanks! I still think a private “hosts only” list of bad guests would be a brilliant idea, it would be more truthful. Thanks to GardenGnome for the Facebook group called Airbnb Guest Blacklist. I shall have a look. It would be great to have a separate site/app for Airbnb hosts. This list does not need to be complicated, just names and a general history of what a guest did to upset their host, its not a venting blog. I am sure their are some bright minds out there who are tech savvy and who would be able to do something. This list is not stopping hosts from accepting a booking from a bad guest, but just gives the host a heads up of what might be install for them. You are not slandering anyone or putting them on a hit list, it is just general information for hosts to use or ignore.

I and many other hosts feel reviews generally are not that accurate as nice hosts and hosts who have been in the game for a long time know, that moaning for all the world to see can be seen as unprofessional.

In my case my guest cancelled for a very flippant reason on Airbnb. I cannot review her because she did not actually stay. She just booked and then cancelled. If a list was up and running, I could then flag her as a potential guest who did not take bookings seriously.

Having been in the industry for many year I have come across all sorts of different hosts. Some hosts with tiny apartments and others with very expensive homes. Some hosts are fussy, others are more laid back. I have a small less expensive cottage and a more upmarket home. I would most definitely have a look at a bad guest list for both these properties if it was available.
Al

@alkira I was actually thinking about making something like this (i.e., a bad guest list across all bnb platforms) but doing it in a way that doesn’t violate privacy (yes, it can be done). Does anyone want to provide me input on the project before I start? No gimmicks. Just really want to build something we all can use and would like feedback from a few folks so that I’m not just building for myself here. :slight_smile:

Being an international forum …. Are you going to consider every country…?

Totally. I see no reason to limit it to a specific geo.

@1NYhost, did you read this thread? Plenty of feedback here

1 Like

Yep! I read every word, and I also get this might not be for everyone. :slight_smile: It’s a pretty old post though an a lot has changed since then. More Airbnb-like platforms, more direct bookings, etc…So, I was thinking this can be a shared database to prevent people from accepting bookings from guests that hop around platforms and/or just aren’t accurately portrayed on major sites. I think this can be done in a way that just helps hosts make better decisions without violating privacy of guests. I was also just wondering if, for those that thought it would be useful in 2019: would it still be useful?

What hasn’t changed is the definition of libel.

3 Likes

I just mean a lot has changed in the market because there are a lot more platforms popping up. Also, I don’t think a name or any other PII needs to be used so there isn’t any liability.

You really haven’t thought this through, have you?

Anyway, crack on and once you’re finished pop back in and let us know.

JF

1 Like

How would this be of use to a host then? Also, if a guest is merely inquiring or making a request to book I only have a first name.

I’ll bow out of this convo now. I’ve said in this thread and all the other threads on the topic that it’s a bad idea.

Edit 2 hours later: not bowing out after all. It’s really getting interesting now.

1 Like

@1NYhost Terrible idea. Would open itself to all sorts of abuse and as KKC says, libel. There’s enough hate and vindictiveness on the internet without adding to it.

Just because another host had an awful experience with a guest doesn’t mean I would. Nor are hosts some special class of people who would never lie or exaggerate, and a host could slag a guest simply because they didn’t like the review the guests left, even if it was true.

@1NYhost, I agree with so many others. Terrible idea.

Has anyone mentioned that many people have the same name? How many are named Tom Smith or Mary Lee?

There would be no way to keep such a list updated. People cancel their accounts. People die. New people join.

No way.

1 Like

Ok. Well thanks for the feedback everyone. I certainly don’t have to build it. I was just seeing if others also felt like bad guests are still a problem and if having a look up tool across platforms could be a possible solution.

I misspoke. There would be a first name, but not a full name. First name, in it’s own right, isn’t PII.

Worthless as tits on a bull.

4 Likes

??? So what, “Don’t ever accept John, from Denver. He trashed my house.” ?

How would that be helpful? There’s thousands of Johns from Denver. And maybe he’s not really from Denver, or he moved to Chicago.

You really didn’t think this through.

It’s up to each host to vet their guests in the way that works for them.

1 Like

Your time might be better spent in improving your communication and hospitality skill. In my many years in this business I have never had a bad guest.

Yes, of course I’ve had less-than-ideal guests, uncommunicative guests, weirdos, people I haven’t liked, some who have been pretty dumb, noisy guests etc. etc. etc. because guests are people. People aren’t perfect. People have foibles and idiosyncrasies. Deal with them. Other hosts do.

Although I’ve got a suggestion - how about a bad hosts list? Hosts talk about bad guests but how about putting the boot on the other foot?

If guests and hosts were all honest enough and not scared of reprisals or whatever they are scared about, the review system is the perfect way to know about your ‘bad guests’. Oh, and bad hosts too.

3 Likes

Exactly. If all hosts left honest, informative reviews, it is obvious that a guest has been problematic.

And this fear of reprisal for leaving a bad review? I’m sure if that actually happened, we all would have read about it by now.

1 Like

Yea, that’s interesting. I just don’t really hear guests talk about bad hosts as much. If it would be useful, I could do it for hosts too. But, I don’t think I’m hearing it would be useful to see the guest list so I guess it doesn’t matter.

Close. John, from Denver, who’s education level is X and hobbies are Y, when he says “xxx”. And you could search on all these things was my idea.