Is raw honey safe?

Well, dealing with contradictory advice is all part of this Big Fun Adventure we like to call Life. (And I mean that satirically, in case anyone is wondering.)

1 Like

Coming up up next: PB…crunchy or smooth?

3 Likes

If I were to provide honey, I would buy something like these single serve packets.

Cheaper than the little glass jars.

2 Likes

Those of us inclined to inconvenience ourselves for the sake of the environment don’t care for little individual plastics whether they are holding coffee, creamer, honey, jam, or whatever. I’m so glad I don’t provide much of anything so I don’t have to feel conflicted about violating my food handler’s safety pledge or doing the environmentally friendly thing.

3 Likes

We have bees in our garden and our guests love to try the honey and buying it.

We had a guest that bought 8 jar of 350 g each

2 Likes

Hi there @Barns ! Yuk, 24 years in the USA now and I still think that peanut butter is a culinary abomination. :slight_smile:

@anon67190644 - I am not surprised to see that you provide the same Bonne Maman strawberry jam that we do. We put it in the breakfast basket (for the guests’ first day, after that they are on their own) along with individual mini tubs of butter and fresh croissants. Also Oui-brand yogurt.

@Faheem - my rule of thumk is to only leave foodstuffs that WE will enjoy if the guests don’t use them - so supply what you and your family prefer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely agree with that!!!

2 Likes

@sylvainbg

My cousin has bees. Her bees ‘ :honeybee: honey seems so much more tasty than store bought. I like to make freezer jam from berries in the spring & summer. Probably not as tasty as ken’s marmalade but pretty good

I think of guests or friends know that the treat is personally made or from local bees they will eat something they normally would pass on—like marmalade on toast or honey butter on a biscuit

@Barns

Years ago when evacuating for hurricane Floyd (then category 5) I saw a car with peanut butter and loaves of bread stacked in someone’s rear window—proof it is the perfect food even in hurricanes ; travels well no refrigeration and won’t go bad!!!

1 Like

Leftovers, and our breakfast is sorted…

Def crunchy, made into what we call “adult” PB. Satay sauce on hot buttery toast.

1 Like

@anon67190644
I flew with Emirates over the holiday period and they provided sachets of this jam and I instantly thought I need these for the rental! But i am yet to come across them online to purchase… I will keep on searching!

@TSGardenC

Are these what you want?

Everything is on Amazon…

1 Like

That jam is over double the price of the ones I posted above, and you end up with really sticky trash.

Maybe little plastic packets appeal though.

@anon67190644
Maybe it is location.

My view shows $0.65 / ounce packets. Jars = $0.76 / ounce.

Also I have Prime.

Either option is tasty!! I love strawberry jam. Butter & strawberry jam on a hot biscuit yum. Place a crispy bacon slice on it and it is an eyes roll into the back of head event.

Nooooo, please, noooo. Made of non-recyclable plastics and horrid stuff (not the jam…) that is causing environmental catastrophe. Did anyone watch David Attenborough’s Blue Planet, particularly the plastics in our oceans?

Glass, glass and more glass.

Ohs, I buy on sale, in bulk. My cost is $.475 per unit. Free shipping. I have enough room to store. The little bottles are good for portioning honey [original topic], storing nails and screws, taking salad dressing to work and homemade baby food.

When I have too many I post them for free on free cycle and they disappear quickly.

1 Like

Because folk want glass, glass and more glass!

Hi yes, thank you they’re the ones I was looking at. They don’t ship to Australia so makes it harder to find.

Re: plastic vs glass jar, I am trying to work out what will be most cost effective once I can actually find what I am looking for :slight_smile:

glass can be cleaned out and re-filled for your next guests. Or use small ramekins and portion out of a large jar of whatever product. This would achieve both eco-friendly and cost effective ambitions!

1 Like