Is My Condo Furnished Enough?

I have a small, 482 square feet condo in a fairly hip area of Austin, Texas. It is fully furnished by my standards, but I’m a minimalist, and I’m not sure how your average person would take it.

Things I don’t have that strike me as possibly problematic are:

1. TV (and the cable/streaming services that go with it),
  2. A couch/loveseat or other sitting area.

I really don’t have any desire to have these things taking up my space. Will people be less likely to book without them?

I usually use my bed when I want to be comfortable or watch something on my laptop, sit at my desk for computer work, or sit on one of the two stools at the kitchen island to eat.

What do you think?

A bohemian minimalist! Never meet anything like that before :smile:
Its usually not the furnishing people look at but the basics are important. A TV isn’t a must if there’s fast internet or wifi but definitely a sofa! I don’t know what a loveseat is but I like the sound of it!

We don’t have television either. We have Netflix and Hulu which guests may watch on their devices. We’ve never had a complaint. As I understand, in Texas it’s often too hot to spend much time outside so guests might spend more time watching television.

I would not be happy in a listing that didn’t have a couch. I don’t like reading or watching shows/films in bed. I also vastly prefer a table with chairs to a counter and stools for eating.

3 Likes

YES to the table and chairs rather than a counter. We usually have a stand-up breakfast at home but on holiday like to relax with our toast and coffee … we see so many places we’d like to stay but no table ans chairs …

Also, unless all your guests are in their twenties, watching tv on the laptop in bed is incredibly bad for their backs (ask me how I know!)

You can get a nice minimalist sofa (couch?) from Ikea very cheaply!

1 Like

I guess we have to wait a day before you can post a link?? Would love to see it so I’ll check back and see what you’ve done. I might have a suggestion for sitting feature.

2 Likes

I too want to see pictures. It’s hard to tell based on just a description!

There are some inexpensive modifications you may be able to make but it’s hard to recommend anything without seeing the space. :blush:

Depends on your market and people’s expectations I guess. Will people be out the whole day and just come in to sleep, or will they spend a lot of time at home. I could easily do without a television when traveling. Do you provide a radio? As far as the sitting area goes, consider putting in something light weight that you can easily store when you are using the condo yourself. I was thinking of maybe two like this:

Can we see the listing to provide some more specific feedback on how it looks?

My initial thought is that a TV and couch would definitely be a must. I agree with others here who don’t think that a bed is very comfortable for anything other than lying down or sleeping. I also agree that pics would be very helpful as well. I think not having these things will limit the potential pool of guests. When putting my place together I tried to think of the basics that would appeal to a wide variety of guests. I am not a coffee drinker and don’t have a coffee maker, but I went out and bought one to provide because I know that it would be appreciated, if not expected. I guess it depends on how much you want your place to be booked. Is it already listed or are you still in the planning stages?

Hi @RusticBohemian,

In the UK, that’s considered a big condo, and people here expect more of a spartum lifestyle compared to North Americans. I’d really like your place, but it’s worth a test and see what your guests come back and say. A place to eat/sit to eat is definitely vital, even if most guests go out for food.