Is It Too Much to Ask Guest to Shower?

4 minute job? It’s only got to be disabled till the bath monkeys has left

1 Like

It might be. In these older homes these cast iron tubs are rusty and of course this one is all wet underneath. Mine for instance, I can’t remove the drain flange. It’s rusted in.

We have a case here where Josiah doesn’t want to change his behavior, he wants to change the guest behavior. He doesn’t want to fix or disable the drain, he wants the guest to shower. We saw the same thing on another thread with clemdiddlehopper. All advice was rejected, she wanted a magic trick.

I’ve been thinking what could be happening that showering doesn’t produce the same volume of leak as bathing and I can’t quite figure it out. But I agree that it’s bad and there’s a multi thousand dollar repair in Josiah’s future.

2 Likes

I see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onoLAlHrAfY

Good one! It’s too bad magic doesn’t work on home repairs or airbnb guests, this guy could make $$.

1 Like

It only started leaking when this guy started taking baths. There’s evidence of leaking before, but we re-grouted and caulked the tiles and tub over a year ago and there hasn’t been any leaking since - until now. I’d only like him to take showers until we can get it fixed, and even that could take weeks. It took about a month just to get our sink installed. We prematurely listed our space before the work was done, and with ample notice, the few guests we had were completely fine using the sink in the half-bath downstairs.

I’ll consider disabling the drain plug. Although I’d feel like I’m going behind his back. If bathing is his preferred method, then perhaps we’re not the best fit for him. I’d actually prefer to replace the whole tub with a walk-in shower stall. But other than this leak, there’s nothing actually wrong with our shower-tub set-up.

Eventually we’d like to renovate our kitchen, and a friend suggested installing an access panel below the tub plumbing for easier access in the future. (There’s already access from the closet behind the tub which is where I spotted the leak.)

I guess, my only other concerns are his unusually early morning routines which wakes us up, and my seemingly ignored communication attempts (voice, Airbnb messaging, and SMS text).

1 Like

That’s it, but about 76 years older.

I’d call Airbnb and get him out. If you get replacement bookings make it clear that showering during normal hours 6am to 10pm for example will be required in order for them to stay.

1 Like

@Josiah

Oh-oh…there appears to be a disconnect about your seeing what the real problem is…you are still focused on wanting the guest to change his ways rather than you fixing the problem - the leaky tub.

Preventing further damage should be of primary concern…not worrying about whether the guest will view it as going behind his back if you remove the drain plug.

Good luck to you. Hope it works out.

6 Likes

Why are you taking so long to get urgent repairs done on your place, when you are letting out to guests?

2 Likes

I agree with those who have said you are focusing on the wrong thing. You’re focusing on your guest’s behaviour. That’s not the biggest problem you have. You have a plumbing issue that needs to be addressed immediately. Until then, my opinion is that you should have AirBnB rehome your guest and snooze your listing until the problem is fixed by a professional.

Water leaks are the most damaging thing you can have in a home, not only because of all the damage they do, but all the things that can result - mold, structural integrity, etc…

Get it fixed ASAP.

3 Likes

Get it fixed as soon as possible!!! I do Airbnb out of my guesthouse, but I also own apartments in a city where rentals are tightly controlled. If I were to let a problem that that slide, I would quickly find myself in REAP and liable for severe penalties for not addressing a basic habitability issue. My rule of thumb is to treat repairs of the Airbnb apartment with the same alacrity as I do with my long term rentals.

1 Like

Yes, I think you are unreasonable, that you need to fix your house and even possibly compensate or relocate. I find it very one sided that you would think he should adapt because he had a discount.

1 Like

This started days ago - and it still isn’t fixed? Why?

1 Like

I had a weekend sewer choke - guests were immediately offered smaller accommodation with refund or an upgrade to larger with a pool. They took the larger space and on arrival there was a bottle of nice bubbles waiting for them. Five star review and very happy with their attentive host.
The choke was due to previous guests revolting child shoving a toy down the toilet. the affected guest were very understanding, especially after seeing the pic of the offending toy. The cost of fixing the choke was bourne by me because there was no way to prove it was the previous guest.

I got lucky (in a way) that my first guests after the remodel were my nephew and his wife. He reported that there was a clog. I called the contractor about it and he paid for the plumber to come out. It was one of those nasty plastic water bottles stuck in the sewer line. Was it put there purposely? Accidentally? Unknown but definitely one of the contractors working on my remodel. If it had happened with anyone else I’d be wondering which guest did it. Since my nephew was staying free he wasn’t entitled to another refund. Luckily I have other bathrooms that weren’t affected.

(Taken from the OP’s last post):
“I guess the quirky guests just make good (or bad) storytelling.”

This?..after all the helpful responses provided by forum members?

Was the OP really after helpful input or just relate a tale for entertainment? hmmm…

1 Like

We found the leak. It’s from the overflow drain. Only happens when water goes down it. That can only happen from filling the tub, i.e., baths. We’ve tightened the nut and the pipe. We’re not sure it’s worth calling a plumber over this. Since no one takes baths this never became an issue.

I guess I didn’t think guests would actually take a bath in our tub. We have a showerhead. I mean, if we had a walk-in shower, what would a bath-taking guest do?

Guests ignoring your messages is an issue, too. Doesn’t install a lot of trust when they’re in your house with you.

1 Like

Find my guest a place to stay? Where do I go?

@Josiah - if you have an extenuating circumstance that keeps you from hosting, you call AirBnB and explain the situation and ask AirBnB to help relocate your guest.

I’m really surprised you don’t expect people to take baths in a bath tub. Yes, many people take showers. But there are people that take baths. We had a lady last year that was undergoing treatment for cancer and taking warm baths made her feel better. I understand your current guest appears to be able-bodied, but he doesn’t deserve you making fun of him for taking a bath instead of showering.

And there’s a really simple answer to your question on what bath-taking guests would do if you only had a walk-in shower - they would have booked some other property.

I hope your simple fix is all that was needed.

2 Likes

nuke-from-orbit

1 Like