Is it okay to ask questions before accepting? Person is brand new, no reviews or info at all other than first name

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for polite questions I may ask before accepting a request. This person is brand new, no reviews and there is no info on their profile other than a first name and where they are from. I do not host much because I am in the suburb of a city. I take overflow when there is a big weekend and city hotel prices go way up and everything is booked. I am assuming that is why this person just joined Airbnb, because the city is completely booked. I like to interact with the person a bit beforehand. In this case, they are a party of 3. I do not know if it is a family, a couple with friend, 3 college kids, etc. Any suggestions?

Of course you can ask questions. Just respond quickly as trying to book an Airbnb can be a real pain when people don’t do instant book.

I generally go with: “what brings you to xyz? Who will be in your travel parry?”

2 Likes

The above, and also something like “have you read through the listing to make sure it’s suitable and do you have any questions before booking?”

Maybe you can make that sound a bit friendlier than I did, but it’s important.

Now is the time for them to ask, do you have a microwave, can I bring a pet, do you offer early check in blah blah blah…Not after they’ve booked.

1 Like

We have standard questions for no review guests. Is it family/friends or business trip? What’s the age of the travelers? Have you used vacation rentals before?

1 Like

Absolutely! Ask as much as you need until you feel comfortable making a decision. You’re interviewing guests to rent your home, after all. I typically say “Hi Matt! Thank you so much for your message. It looks like you’re new to Airbnb. Welcome! Would you mind telling me a little about yourselves (just who you are, what you do, the basics, anything I need to know as your host, etc.) and your plans while here in Helen, please? I just like to know a bit about my Guests. Thank you!”

1 Like