Is it my responsibility to leave aluminum foil, plastic wraps, spices?

I leave so much for the guest, where do I draw the line. What am I responsible for besides toilet paper?

It’s entirely your choice what amenities you offer. You just need to state clearly in your listing what is and isn’t offered. If you don’t want to leave aluminum foil, plastic wrap or spices you should consider not having use of the kitchen as an amenity.

I leave salt, pepper and oil. Other guests have left spices. I also have coffee and a selection of teas but these are not advertised.

1 Like

I leave all those things - in 18 months i have replaced the salt, the other amenities have not required replacing.

Wow I do exactly the same, but no-one every mentions all the lovely tea and coffees I offer on a complimentary basis, so I am thinking of stopping.

When I first started out I only supplied coffee and tea. Then I got a lot of requests for oil, so I bought a bottle along with salt and pepper and they get used quite often. I don’t think spices are necessary though.

I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. I get no mention of all that I leave for them. That is why I was asking if everyone else does the same. I suppose if I didn’t leave it, they would take care of it themselves. A simple thank you or maybe restock some of what they use would go along way.

When you travel, what would you like to find in an Airbnb? That’s the criteria I use for stocking my kitchen. Personally I like to find olive oil as it is a real hassle to carry that around with you when travelling!

4 Likes

To be honest, I find these comments surprising. They may not say thank you or mention the nice things that one does, but, how would they even know that YOU think that they are “extras.” They thank you with their hard earned cash, and in the AirBNB world, stars.

We are in the hospitality industry, after all. Having a few essentials is simply a nice thing to do for your guests. It is certainly how we would want to be treated when we are traveling.

4 Likes

I appreciate a different point of view. I am new to airbnb and wanted feedback as to what everyone else includes in the rental. I guess it’s a personal preference if I was to leave supplies such as alumni foil, spices etc…??
There is always a bottle of wine awaiting them that they seem to appreciate and say thank you.

1 Like

I understand what you are saying @anon67190644 , however these are not essentials but things I offer over and above essentials such as

1. Chilled water
  2. Retro sweets
  3. Fresh flowers
  4. Glass of wine/beer/juice on arrival
    5… Personal tour of the area
  5. Fresh and instant coffee and eight teas
  6. Access to all my sauces, vinegars, oils, spices, herbs from my herb garden, flours, rice, pasta (I am a keen cook :slight_smile:

They know because I mention this in my guide book and when I show them around that on a complimentary basis I offer these things in addition to super soft bath, hand and face towels, quality shampoo, conditioner, soap and shower gel that form part of the essentials for my listing

They get all this for a budget price of around ÂŁ30 a night for a double.

This is a good way of looking at it.

@Helsi. If it is in your guidebook, then it isn’t an “extra” from your guests perspective, perhaps. It is part of the amenity package that you are offering. I think once something feels onerous or doesn’t bring value, drop it. Remove it from your guidebook, your listing, and your introductory house tour and if, you have a guest that you particularly like, perhaps offer that extra to only them.

But just because it isn’t mentioned doesn’t mean that it isn’t noticed.

2 Likes

You’ve got to have some way for guests to cover leftover food. Do you want them putting it in the fridge uncovered. That leads to a disgusting fridge.

2 Likes

For an American (at least this American), coffee and tea are expected. To mention them would be like mentioning the lovely toilet paper and sheets.

1 Like

I bought some dollar store bottles and filled them with oil, vinegar, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. I will top up as needed. I also provide salt, pepper and some spices. A jar with sugar and another with herb tea bags. Each guest gets a new roll of paper towel, and enough toilet paper for their stay. A bottle of dish soap and laundry soap. Total cost per booking less than $5, how it benefits ie reviews, hard to tell. But I feel that it creates an air of hospitality.

1 Like

That is a great idea! Thank you!

I have both rooms in my home (which have limited access to my own kitchen) and a small studio with a kitchenette (it’s also in the house). In the kitchenette, I leave plastic wrap, plastic covered containers, microwave dishes and plastic food storage bags because I want to be sure that guests will be able to wrap or store their food items so I don’t have a problem with bugs! So it is really in my self interest as well as for guests’ convenience to leave food wrapping and storage items. I also have coffee, tea, sweeteners/sugar, milk, cereal, yogurt, hard cooked eggs, and fruit as the continental breakfast items. … There really isn’t cooking in the kitchenette, but I do have salt and pepper and paper towels and paper napkins.

I list as an entire home but I don’t provide aluminium foil, plastic wraps nor spices. I list everything I provide clearly in my listing. I refer to holiday rental’s standard when I choose what to include. I used to live in different short term/holiday rentals due to my husband’s work. We live there from 1 month to 6 months. None of the apartments provide these as amenity.

Though, I’m considering about providing aluminium foil and plastic wraps. I’m concerned about providing spices due to hygiene reason, unless it is the small package ones.

I don’t really have American guests and it’s not expected in the UK.