Is Anyone Using Arlo Pro 4 Cameras?

We got a set and installed a couple today. I’ve been reading the information but wondered if anyone had real-world experiential advice? I’m particularly interested in the video settings, whether to use the auto-zoom or not. Also, the height/placement you’ve used. Arlo shows the cameras zooming in and getting a license plate but we have not been able to achieve that.

Is it possible that we’ve installed them too high? Or do we need to use the auto-zoom? Auto-zoom gives the warning that “Video recordings will not be in 2k resolution”, which makes me think the details, like a license plate, will be less defined, not more. If you have any experience with them, I would be appreciative of any tips.

Is there not a user forum for the brand or a helpline for the brand that you could call ?

Are you aware that there is professional help available for passive-aggressive behavior?

I only have experience both at my home and at the one I used to manage, for the first gen Arlo Pro. Mounting them high enough for one to need a ladder is very important. We had people try to swipe at them on the front porch.

Also hide/lock up the router. We had two groups turn it off.

Mention in your listing for your outdoor cameras that its “for their safety and our peace of mind”. We had someone get a towel and put it over the camera out back, by dragging a kitchen chair outside, then doing that. They thought we were spying on them on the deck, but the camera was pointed to the walk way to the fairway, which is off limits to renters (who continually broke the rule - which made us fearful of them being maimed by a golf ball) and it would notify us of the mountain lion that lived nearby.

2 Likes
1 Like

Thank you. We did that but I thought maybe we put them too high, wasn’t sure. I wondered if we would actually get license plate numbers if they were lower, but of course they aren’t useful stolen, point taken.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Oh thanks for finding that for me, it was just so elusive. :rofl:

I’m sure I can find a link to a different forum to send you to next time you post. It’ll be fun!

1 Like

I’m curious why you’re trying to collect license plate numbers.

2 Likes

Hope it gets resolved quickly. Sounds rotten.

1 Like

:scream:

1 Like

If you are lucky, the Arlo forum might have a top expert who doesn’t actually use them but reads and posts a lot? :slight_smile:
Mount a bunch of “smile you are on camera” signs all both properties. Junkies love that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Per the layout of the driveway and the front door (down 8 steps to the right), we initially had only two Arlos there. One at the front door and one in the back facing the golf course. Later, the owner installed one in the upper corner of the Facia of the garage. This was to watch the trash/recycle cans that were right there as well as the number of autos in the large wide driveway. We didn’t install them to look for license plates.

The front door Arlo was the most fun of all. Drunk man walking right into the wall, instead of the front door. Totally wasted young sailor at 10 a.m. mouthing off to his friend who was leaving, and then ranting at the camera, which he couldn’t access. Extra people sneaking in and out, not knowing that we could see them. Rolls eyes…

2 Likes