Is anyone requesting boosters?

Yes they do interact with the community, but as an Airbnb host, I can’t take on what happens to people when they aren’t on our properties. That is beyond my reach as a host. Our country (Canada) requires PCR testing for anyone entering the country, and vaccines for anyone boarding a plane in the country. And our province has a vaccine passport requirement, which requires proof of vaccine to enter various types of facilities. Given this context, I don’t feel a need to check for vaccine status of guests staying in self contained premises.

1 Like

My post was sarcasm, not wishful thinking or hate… once again I am reminded that sarcasm never works on social media lol.

Also a good reminder that lots of people really are hateful and call their remarks jokes when called out on it. That’s what Trump always did. So it’s best just to skip it for now. And though you may be joking, plenty of people aren’t. We are burning the candle at both ends and everyone is going to end up getting burned.

My friend with the broken ankle was sitting, in pain, in emergency for 24 hours. She’s had surgery and is now waiting on insurance to decide if they will pay for her to be moved to the rehab floor. And once she gets done with that she has to go somewhere and pay for people to come in and help her eat, shower, etc because she lives alone. Insurance and medicare are all deluged due to covid. Believe me, it’s easy to want to direct the anger somewhere and anti-vaxxers are a deserving target.

1 Like

I thought I was being super vigilant and I caught it and brought it home to everyone in my household. All of us vaxxed, boosted and mask up when we go anywhere. The only unmasked indoor time that I had was in the dentist chair. I really have no idea how/where I got it. Mostly over it now, tested negative a few days ago.

RR

And that’s probably exactly where you contracted it. Sure, the dentist wears a mask, everything is sterilized, but that dental office has had open mouthed patients in it, just like you, filling the air with whatever they have.

And it may not be the case with you, but I see people doing unconcious things all the time, like grabbing their mask and adjusting it with one of their fingers on the inside of the mask.

1 Like

We humans aren’t built to be sterile. We do the best we can. Sometimes it just takes just takes one germ at the right place & right time. I wish that hadn’t happened to you. I hope all recover quickly.

3 Likes

Very likely that’s where I got it, if only I had flossed better and avoided needing a root canal.

RR

RR

Thanks Ann, it’s been about 12 days, 3 of 5 of us are testing negative already. I have been sicker. I am thankful we were all vaxxed and boosted it could have been a lot worse.

RR

1 Like

I caught something at the dentist too… Not COVID but something!

Oh yeah, it’s unfortunately one of those things one can’t avoid. I had to go to the dentist as well, and I felt really wary about it and put it off as long as possible, but eventually had to go. I just crossed my fingers that I wouldn’t catch the virus there.

1 Like

I got Omicron from my daughter who is fully vaccinated and masked and thought she just had a cold. Many people I know are getting it and spreading it (all vaccinated). I was sick for a day, headaches for 3 days, but now suffering lack of taste and smell.

Three people I know died within 2 days of the booster.
Two people had kidney failure and were in ICU for 2 weeks; three healthy friends now with racing heart and palpitations; one with blood clots in the lungs; five friends cancer out of remission - all within two weeks of 2nd shot or booster. I don’t want to get any more, especially since it didn’t stop me getting Covid. Now it seems boosters may have more downside than upside to me.

I believe in free choice and free speech without censorship - it’s always good to consider all points of view, even if I don’t agree. To those that may not like me saying that, I would fight for your right to disagree with me.

I don’t ask for vaccination status since I’m not sharing my home and I believe everyone should decide for themselves which is the worse of two evils. It’s not an easy decision for anyone, and it was thrust upon us all.

If I was sharing my home, I believe I would shut down my Airbnb until this is over.

2 Likes

I’m glad you made it clear that it’s “to you” and not to experts who have studied disease their entire lives.

No, when certain stances are resulting in the deaths of others, no.

7 Likes

Relax, live and let live

I haven’t gotten it yet. However a friend of mine is down with it right now. She’s been vaxxed, boosted, masks, restricts going out as much as possible, and is still feeling bad enough that she getting a monoclonal infusion later today.

2 Likes

When people become seriously ill with Covid shortly after being vaccinated it is not because they have had the vaccination but because unfortunately they have developed Covid and the vaccination which would have protected them hasn’t had time to fully take effect. (takes two to four weeks).

Sadly there is an anti-vaxxer narrative that implies otherwise. People do not develop cancer as a result of having the vaccine.

As you know having the vaccine doesn’t stop you from having Covid it does mean that you are less likely to infect others and that if you have Covid you won’t become as ill with it. So saying you are not going to have further boosters because you still caught Covid having had your initial vaccinations just doesn’t make sense.

6 Likes

We have a place with a separate entrance and the only interaction we would have would be outside. Myself and wife are boosted and kids are double vaxxed.
I have never asked or considered asking for vaccination status because it won’t affect me. Vaxxed and unvaxxed alike can both spread it. And it’s not my problem if someone doesn’t care about being hospitalized or dieing.

1 Like

I wish I could have that devil may care attitude. I’m sick of paying for other people’s “freedom of choice.” Taxes and insurance premiums will increase, the labor shortage will continue, inflation may become a problem. The pandemic affects all of us and some aren’t pulling their weight.

7 Likes

Oh believe me, I’m sick of it too. But what other option is there at this point. We’ve begged, we’ve pleaded, we’ve threatened, we’ve required and mandated. Absolutely nothing will get through to these people. Insurance complained are starting to raise rates on people who are not vaccinated. And you’re right, the vaccine petulant are not pulling their weight.
And seeing as how this was a thread about requiring a vaccine at home rental. Why? Am I to meet them at the door and demand proof? That’ll be fun. Am I supposed to turn away half of my potential customers over something that will never change? Do you really think at this point someone who has refused vaccination is going to say “well damn, I love his place so I guess I should get vaccinated so I can stay there.”
Pretty sure they won’t. Worst case scenario I could have a gun in my face. Not worth it to me to protecting someone else.

1 Like

Yep. The reason I’m not requiring proof is that I don’t want to get close enough to them to check their proof. Plus, I offer self check-in which precludes meeting them at check-in to check on anything.

1 Like

I read the word “request” as not being the same as “require.” As I may or may not have mentioned earlier in the thread, I simply state that I’m vaxxed and I prefer vaxxed guests. I’m not going to require “proof” for a variety of reasons. I’ve lost one booking over that wording. I’ve been explicitly told I was chosen due to that wording by several guests. The rest? I don’t know.

LOL. Of course not. But I really hope the pro-covid people will stay away. I don’t want their business and there’s no reason to think the pro-covid people are half the Airbnb booking population. They make 80% of the noise but they are a minority. And at the rate they’re dying, it’s a smaller minority every day.

I live here although they are separate from me and you can bet your boots that I do intend to retain control over my home. But no, I don’t turn anyone away if they have the money to stay here. So whether it’s asking guests to be vaxxed or to not smoke, have unregistered guests or pets or any other rule/request I might have, I’m not going to live in fear of getting shot because I have rules at my Airbnb.

You see vaccines as only protecting the vaccinated. I see them as protecting everyone.

4 Likes