Is anyone requesting boosters?

We have a place with a separate entrance and the only interaction we would have would be outside. Myself and wife are boosted and kids are double vaxxed.
I have never asked or considered asking for vaccination status because it won’t affect me. Vaxxed and unvaxxed alike can both spread it. And it’s not my problem if someone doesn’t care about being hospitalized or dieing.

1 Like

I wish I could have that devil may care attitude. I’m sick of paying for other people’s “freedom of choice.” Taxes and insurance premiums will increase, the labor shortage will continue, inflation may become a problem. The pandemic affects all of us and some aren’t pulling their weight.

7 Likes

Oh believe me, I’m sick of it too. But what other option is there at this point. We’ve begged, we’ve pleaded, we’ve threatened, we’ve required and mandated. Absolutely nothing will get through to these people. Insurance complained are starting to raise rates on people who are not vaccinated. And you’re right, the vaccine petulant are not pulling their weight.
And seeing as how this was a thread about requiring a vaccine at home rental. Why? Am I to meet them at the door and demand proof? That’ll be fun. Am I supposed to turn away half of my potential customers over something that will never change? Do you really think at this point someone who has refused vaccination is going to say “well damn, I love his place so I guess I should get vaccinated so I can stay there.”
Pretty sure they won’t. Worst case scenario I could have a gun in my face. Not worth it to me to protecting someone else.

1 Like

Yep. The reason I’m not requiring proof is that I don’t want to get close enough to them to check their proof. Plus, I offer self check-in which precludes meeting them at check-in to check on anything.

1 Like

I read the word “request” as not being the same as “require.” As I may or may not have mentioned earlier in the thread, I simply state that I’m vaxxed and I prefer vaxxed guests. I’m not going to require “proof” for a variety of reasons. I’ve lost one booking over that wording. I’ve been explicitly told I was chosen due to that wording by several guests. The rest? I don’t know.

LOL. Of course not. But I really hope the pro-covid people will stay away. I don’t want their business and there’s no reason to think the pro-covid people are half the Airbnb booking population. They make 80% of the noise but they are a minority. And at the rate they’re dying, it’s a smaller minority every day.

I live here although they are separate from me and you can bet your boots that I do intend to retain control over my home. But no, I don’t turn anyone away if they have the money to stay here. So whether it’s asking guests to be vaxxed or to not smoke, have unregistered guests or pets or any other rule/request I might have, I’m not going to live in fear of getting shot because I have rules at my Airbnb.

You see vaccines as only protecting the vaccinated. I see them as protecting everyone.

4 Likes

Likely not. Not just to be accepted for a rental.

But an interesting thing happened quite recently in Canada. When it was announced that vaccine proof would be required to enter liquor stores and marijuana dispensaries, there was suddenly a large increase in non-vaccinated people lining up for the vax. :rofl:

4 Likes

One consideration: If you have a forced air system, do you have separate or shared ductwork?

That’s an excellent point I hadn’t consider. How ever I have an old home without duct work. We have mini splits but none share floors.

That’s a fair point I hadn’t thought about in so far as helping. Get the clientele you want. I might actually consider changing my language going forward.
Though I don’t think I’d refer to them as pro covid so much as pro burying their head in the sand.
And yeah I know I was being hyperbolic but it wouldn’t be the first time a redneck pulled out a gun over a vaccine or mask. But again back to the point you made, that simple language probably keeps those types away anyway.

So I probably will update my listing to reflect it. Much appreciated

3 Likes

I’m quite happy not to accept travellers who refuse to be vaccinated @Joshwexler

It’s easy enough In the UK for people to have lateral flow tests and upload on the day results into our NHS app.

1 Like

The problem is that it’s not killing them off fast enough. :wink:

And before you dump on me it’s snark, not serious. I do believe, however, that those who didn’t vaccinate and caused all those additional medical and social costs should end up with some kind of financial penalty, since shame and shaming no longer exist. Having higher health care insurance rates?

How do folks feel about locking folks in stocks in the public square next to a bin of rotten tomatoes? (ok, ok)…

Too much relaxation and even more people will die. Pay attention to reality.

1 Like

Quebec is about to do just that. Levy a health care contribution tax on those who won’t get vaxed, aside from those with legitimate medical exemption.

2 Likes

Unvaccinated people are killing other people so it seems obvious there should be a consequence applied to all of them equally. A combination of vaccines, masking, negative covid tests and distancing requirements to do things in public; requiring vaccines for things like flights, schools, and government jobs would all be part of a comprehensive plan. But in the US having that kind of comprehensive plan is impossible. A tax would be simple but also impossible. Watching them die in disproportionate numbers is about the only satisfaction we can count on which is why it’s so tempting to cheer it when it happens.

3 Likes

Can’t believe people are still arguing about this. It’s two years into this, 30% of people are not vaccinated and never will be. That’s the reality so time to move on and live your life with the knowledge that one out of every three people you will interact with will not be vaccinated. You can argue about morality and ethics and rights but that’s the facts and that won’t change.

1 Like

Where is your 30% figure from - thats not what stats say in the UK and clearly the stats vary by country and age @Notahost

1 Like

Feel free to skip on by then.

Source please.

Ah, so it’s now 33%?

If you’re going to throw out stats, please don’t simply make them up, it makes you look foolish.

Yes we can, and as I said before, if you don’t like it, don’t read it.

JF

5 Likes

What a pathetic statement. Giving up in the face of thousands dying every day?

Speechless.

See @Rolf, some people aren’t joking.

5 Likes

Vaccines, including boosters, are beneficial.

Due to attacks by anti-vaxxer trolls this thread is now closed. The forum will not be platforming agents of the pro-covid campaign.

6 Likes

Get vaccinated, get boosted. Yes, even if it’s several times a year. At least do it until this is under control, treatments are effective against all variants and are widely available.

3 Likes