Ironing the sheets

I’ve seen several post that mention ironing the guest sheets. Um, is this a thing? It never even occurred to me, though I guess they probably do it at hotels. Is this expected by our guests?

I iron the pillow cases and the top of the flat sheet where I fold it over the blanket so it looks crisp.

2 Likes

Nope - life is too short, the sheets are clean and the bed nicely made and I have never had a comment about the sheets apart from how comfortable the beds are.

11 Likes

I’m with @Debthecat – life is too dang short to waste time ironing sheets. We don’t run a hotel and never will; and I’m don’t believe even the Ritz Carlton hotels feature ironed sheets!

4 Likes

Just Don’t Do It
No!

3 Likes

Whew! Feeling relieved.

I’m also a pillowcase ironer. I actually find ironing relaxing. I admit I’m weird.

Yup. Pillow cases are easy. Some of us are ironers and some of us spend money are welcome gifts. A nice crisp looking pillow is my gift I guess.

My cleaner doesn’t iron the sheets, as was the previous cleaner. I thought it was an eyesore to have creased sheets , but I don’t make enough each night to iron them, so nope.

A hand steamer can actually do a 90% job very quickly. For a 100% crisp looking sheet, I will have to use a traditional iron.

Me too, or my cleaners do (or are meant to). It’s easiest to iron the folded bit when they are on the bed.

I am extremely fussy about bed linen and buy very good quality in sales. I bought a large steam iron that takes most of the chore out of ironing so yes I iron bed linen. I actually look on it and all the cleaning, gardening etc I do, as a work out! That said I suspect most guests would not be too concerned about whether or not the sheets are ironed.

2 Likes

Nope - never had a single complaint. If I had a very high end STR then maybe.

1 Like

Yep, I def iron pillowcases and the top of the flat sheet…anything that shows or will form the first impression. Truthfully a guest has ever noticed, or said anything about it, but what I think they do notice is the sum total of everything. Personally, I notice iron sheets when I stay at a nicer hotel and have a things about sheets anyway. One tip I would always suggest: fresh paint also makes things look crisp. We get good marks each time for how spotless our place is. While we do clean it well, I think it’s due more to the fact it’s not cluttered and we painted in 2017.

2 Likes

Here’s another vote for not ironing the sheets! And believe me @Tiamat, I’ve been hosting guests (in one form or another) since before the advent of Airbnb - indeed, before the internet. So as you can imagine, I’ve lost count of how many guests but I’d say the number is definitely in the thousands and no-one ever complained.

Our queen beds each have four pillows and I iron the pillowcases of the two that will be uppermost - the ones that the guests see when they walk into the bedroom.

This being said, I have never understood, or used, the American way of making beds. I use a quality fitted sheet, duvet and light bedspread. I do not faff around with top sheets, blankets. comforters and so forth.

If you add the fitted sheet to the bed as soon as it comes out of the dryer, then it won’t crease. Then lay the duvet cover on top and the creases will drop out. I go off and clean the bathroom or do other cleaning tasks and when I come back to make the bed, the fitted sheet and duvet cover are wrinkle free, more or less. And it just takes a couple of minutes to make the bed.

For same day turnovers have the clean sheet and duvet covers ready but put them in the dryer for about 15 minutes with a slightly damp facecloth to remove creases where you’ve folded them.

1 Like

There is nothing on Airbnb that lays down managing linen or any other particular items at your listing apart from the basics which sometimes it says you need to have and sometimes it doesn’t depending on whether or not it forms part of their T&Cs.

What is important is that if you list yourself as having a facility i.e. coffee maker then you should have it.

1 Like

I’ve very carefully dialed in the amount of fabric softener I use and I put the linens in a hot dryer for a few minutes before making the bed. I have ironed new sheets after an initial washing and they still came out too “crunchy.” Otherwise, it is as they came from the dryer. I find I am able to smooth the duvet cover and pillowcases to an acceptable level by hand.

No way am I ironing a full set of linens every time. Hotels have monster machines (and staff).

1 Like

Nope, nope, and nope! And i don’t use fabric softener either (allergy), so my 100% cotton sheets come out of the dryer crazy wrinkled. I just put them tight on the bed and hope they smooth out enough from the weight of the comforter that the guests won’t notice. No one has complained so far.

1 Like

There is much we all don’t understand about each other but, to each their own.

1 Like

I never make beds that way, but when I travel in Europe (used to do this a lot) I LOVE sleeping in beds made that way! Something so cozy about it. :grinning:

I iron but really I use it as an opportunity to check for marks and hairs etc. I have all white sheets. I always iron whilst watching all my favourite junky shows