Instant Book Nightmare

I like the extra cleaning fees!

3 Likes

I agree with your comments about IB initially listing with Abb it was a scary thing for me a single female that shares the space but once i put all the ID, prior reviews, answers to questions etc. In place it usually requires the person reaching out anyway so it’s a win win. I get viewed higher amid that helps bookings. I didn’t realize the could be a maximum. I def would have used it for a 9 night stay I recently had. A grown woman with college age kids had no common sense. Treated my place like a hotel. The list of things she did would go on and on. Haha live and learn.

1 Like

Depends on where you live. Where I live, 28 days gives tenant’s rights.

I do allow plenty of kitchen use, but I would like to have huge meal preparation on a daily basis kept to a minimum. I’m a tourist destination as well, but I feel like longer stay guests will be hanging out at the home too much and not touring the town, eating out, etc. I thought I set a 7 day max but got a 10 day booking. I will probably change that!

I live in a college town and often have visiting faculty etc… My first guest ever was a family from china who stayed for 3 months. They were delightful… I have several more up coming guests for a month plus which I have no problem with. Most guests introduce themselves and state why they are coming and for how long. I should also say that this is a separate apartment in my home so it is pretty private. Never occurred to me that there may be squatters lurking about.

I’m sure they are rare but if you get one it’s a nightmare. Probably most important is to have a good long conversation about why someone is booking your place that long and avoid locals.

Yes, I second blocking one day after and one day prep on a reservation as a practice that works for me. With one day after a booking and one day before a booking and a two-night minimum (because I only wash linen and change bed for $100 or more), that always leaves me the option of opening up the two nights for booking or to keep the Studio for myself depending on my schedule.

Actually, there is another side to consider. I let someone stay for four and 1/2 months last year December - April 2018. I was not able to get into the room and his just plain living really trashed it. I had been nervous about renter’s rights but he moved out on time. However, his living there 24/7, cooking without a kitchen, and not removing street shoes (which is in my rules) as well as ways he overused the space showed me that I need visibility on a periodic basis. I ended up totally repainting and replacing the carpet, and making other improvements. It worked out alright.

This is why many landlords moved from leasing to airbnbing. More money, less abuse of the capital investment. However in cities with a housing shortage, this caused a backlash.

1 Like