Insight into guest's review process

Every time I see your listing, I wish I had planned my trip to Florida a bit earlier so I could stay in a place with those amazing windows and a stove with push buttons!

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Maybe next time!

Your place is adorably retro, I would stay there in a heartbeat! Totally passed my decor snob test. :wink:

2 Likes

This would be based on if the guest actually read the description of the unit prior to booking, right? I hope sometime soon they give us access to the guest star system that hosts use to rate guests. It would be nice to have a hosts-only system so that guests can feel warm and fuzzy on the outside, while we rip them to shreds on the inside :wink: when it is warranted of course.

Haha…did the hosts give you the grandma looking bedspread that looks like it belongs in an 80’s motel room?

YES!

To be fair, I’ve seen grandma-ier bedspreads but there was just a lot of intense furniture and clashing colors and patterns.

Ultimately that could all have been forgiven but the bed itself was super uncomfortable. It was sunken in in the middle and my husband and I felt like we were trying to climb out from the middle of the bed all night long. So I got some good insight - a comfy mattress is the #1 most important thing! I can forgive a lot of poor decor choices and bad coffee if I get a good nights sleep.

2 Likes

Yes, this worries me as a host. If you click on ‘budget’, will that be 2 stars? I recently stayed in an airbnb which is a bush cabin, without running water and electricity and these lack of amenities were part of the "getting away from it all’ experience we wanted. It was a great place and I wanted to give it 5 stars but it should be rated ‘budget’. As part of the rating process, the star rating was something I gave to the host as a private feature. So my question is - how does Airbnb allocate the star rating now?

It didn’t look to me like the descriptions: Budget, Basic, Comfort and Upscale would affect the star ratings. It looks like Airbnb is trying to present an accurate description so that guests won’t be unpleasantly surprised if they were expecting something more upscale.

3 Likes

I have to agree with @EllenN; this will actually help guests to manage their expectations of what they are booking.

1 Like

The star rating on AirBnB has nothing to do with hotel star ratings. The star rating is “Did you enjoy your stay. Is it what is described. Is it clean. Did you get what you paid for.” If you answered yes to these, then it’s a 5 star rating.

Because hosts get rated on those stars. There are super hosts who offer a $20/night bedroom and a $2000/night luxury condo. The star rating is purely based on would you recommend this place again based on what they offer. Now if they’re a “budget” type place but they price it luxury? Then that’s grounds for a 4 star overall and lower on maybe “accuracy” and “location”.

But this is why great hosts get burned on ratings. Because guests don’t read what the review does. It tells future guests that the host is great and the listing is accurate. 2-3 stars means “BAD! STAY AWAY no matter how affordable it is!”

Because my budget and comfort listing offers so much more than a 2 star motel. It’s clean, comfortable and safe. But if a few uninformed guests rated me 2 or 3 stars based on the hotel rating system not only would my feelings be hurt, but it could also hurt my business and possibly get me kicked off the platform.

No, the budget, basic, comfort and upscale categories are not associated with the star ratings.

The star ratings now have the labels of:
1 star =terrible
2 stars = bad
3 stars = okay
4 stars = good
5 stars = great

I think this will help A LOT with guests having a clearer understanding of what each star means. Before, it was open to their interpretation - does 5 stars mean “accurate, even though it was a budget place” or does it mean “5 star hotel quality”? Guests could interpret it however they wanted. Now there is a more clear guideline for them in choosing stars.

1 Like

My husband is a computer programmer and his feedback on the changes to the review system are that it appears that Airbnb is gathering this information (such as “click on what specifically wasn’t clean about the property”) to use as part of an algorithm. Either to affect what guests are seeing in a search based on previous bookings (maybe you always book budget accommodation, so we will show you mostly budget accommodations in your search), or to affect host’s search performance (if every property has 5 stars overall but one gets rated as less clean, then Airbnb might show guests the more clean property first so that their overall guest satisfaction is higher).

Basically, this could be used like a Netflix or Amazon type system: “These properties are recommended for you.”

1 Like

That’s what’s happened with me twice now. Both I’ll informed and both gave me three stars for completely idiotic reasons. All it’s has done is made me treat Airbnb more like a business. I’m far less likely to offer flexibility now because I don’t feel it’s appreciated…

1 Like

whats the deal with Marge’s review?? lol…

I know! Was that going to be ‘nice host and wonderful place’ or ‘no way would I stay here again’? :slight_smile:

haha yeah i know … strange!

More new info coming in on the email I just received from a guest’s review! It now shows the star review and the breakdown for some of the categories. It also suggests we will begin to see the details that guests select for each category.

4 Likes