Inquiry to bring emotional support animal

Yes, what she said

RR

1 Like

This is a quote from someone my daughter knows, who passes her pet dog off as a support animal. “Why would I want to stay in a place that accepts animals, they are never as clean or nice as the places that don’t let dogs stay.”

It’s people like this that ruin it for those that have true support or service animals.

2 Likes

I stayed in a Airbnb this summer that accepted dogs and it was the dirtiest place I have ever stayed in. It was not so much dog dirt as just IDGAF dirt.

RR

2 Likes

My rave reviews on cleanliness from self-professed “clean persons” contradict this.

Bless her heart. The universe could right this by handing her a real need to travel with a service animal, but of course I wouldn’t wish this on anyone.

3 Likes

Exactly the same here. It has more to do with the cleaning protocol than the dogs.

The person who has a dirty place and allows dogs probably would have a dirty place anyway.

I’ve read posts on this forum where having a stained mattress pad was considered to be acceptable, touching up baseboards was unheard of, using a headlamp and blacklight from time to time was mocked, lint rollers are marveled at, it’s argued that comforters aren’t meant to touch human skin so it’s fine to use unwashed ones… just to name a few eye openers. I’m expecting someone to eventually post the pronouncement that towels don’t need to be washed because the people using them are just drying clean water off their bodies.

The fact that hosts think nothing of posting these poor practices publicly demonstrates the wide variety of what is considered “clean.”

Oh, also I have a duvet cover I use with pet owners only. I wash it after every dog stays of course but also only use it with dog stays. I have a rug that gets put out for dog stays, the other rugs are rolled up and put away. I’ve gotten rid of the carpet and the drapes so that I can vac up all the stray hairs. I regularly vacuum the walls. It’s absolutely possible to have 100% 5 stars on cleanliness and host dogs, cats and rabbits.

5 Likes

I also accept pets and have 100% 5 stars on cleanliness, with people mentioning how clean the home is in their reviews. I do not think you can base your idea of how clean a home will be on whether or not the host accepts pets.

3 Likes

Everything you said there is appropriate except you cannot ask for a doctor’s note stating they need an emotional support animal (fake or not you have to allow them). [Note: The “Do you have a disability” question is only for service animals.)

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

Nope, the emotional support aninals are NOT covered by ADA law. The FHA has some rules/laws, but you must rent out over 4 units/homes for them to apply to you in the USA. You can ask for a doctors note reguarding an emotional support animal. My lawyers have verified this.

2 Likes

You may be right about ADA laws, but you aren’t right when it comes to Airbnb policies. Emotional support animals, according to Airbnb, get exactly the same consideration as service animals.

3 Likes

I think @LiveOakVineyard is considering laws to supersede Airbnb TOS.

2 Likes

Interesting take on it, the TOS say’s the laws trump the TOS… Yet they must know the discrepancies…

Hmmm

RR

2 Likes

Yeah, she is, but they have been pretty clear that their policies are more strict.

Just to be clear, you also have to actually live in the same building as your 4-units or less. If you’re not owner-occupied, you are not exempt from the FHA laws.

The FHA laws regard discrimination, the ESA fall under this as a discrimination against disabilities. The ADA covers Service Animals.

Airnb’s TOS is more strict than either the FHA or the ADA laws. So, regardless of law, Airbnb requires you accept both ESAs and Service Animals and prohibits any type of discrimination, regardless the Mrs Murphy exemption (owner occupied 4 units or less), except for age/familial status for which Airbnb does defer to the law.

1 Like

I purchased the 6+ acres as one unit that has 3 seperate homes on the 6+ acres, plus my 500 SQ FT studio which is attached to the cottage that is actually listed as a MIL apartment on legal documents because of full kitchen and bathroom. I have one property tax bill for all of them and per the lawyer makes me exempt. I will take a service animal no problem, I am also permanently disabled, so I get it. It’s the ESA’s that are not real that I take issue with, a true ESA I would also take as I explain in my email to them.

1 Like

Reminds me of this classic Dilbert comic strip

https://dilbert.com/strip/1995-11-24

3 Likes

Okay. But only exempt for FHA, not exempt for Airbnb. I live in my 4-unit house and it definitely makes me exempt for FHA but Airbnb has stricter rules.

1 Like

I am on property host, and used your post to outline the rules for ESA. My question is what if they do not abide by it, and leave the animals inside and are not there? Can I meet them at the door and tell them to pack it up and go immediately?

2 Likes

You call AirBnB immediately and tell them that you are a no pet property and someone brought an "ESA or Service animal and left it alone on the property and you want them rehoused NOW! Don’t back down, have them call the guests right then to remove them.

3 Likes

I would also request that they not be refunded (not that it will help much).

Be sure to emphasize the fact that they left the animals alone on your property.

2 Likes