Inquiry to bring emotional support animal

By law is irrelevant on this one. It is Airbnb’s TOS that is the “law” here and it is more extensive than the actual laws.

2 Likes

Basically, yes. They will expect you to inform your potential guest of this “politely” (their word not mine) and also suggest it is in the listing (that there are allergy concerns).

Typing quickly on the phone. The law is for service animals. I get a lot of inquiries for “service” animals lol (quote from recent request). I asked if it was for real and she disappeared.

2 Likes

I wonder how many times a host could get away with answering in complete gibberish and just scare guest away in that fashion.

5 Likes

How about this fashion

“Of course you can bring your dog. I love dogs. I’m writing a book on raising them. I used to be allergic dogs, but after I started eating dog meat, my dog allergies are completely gone. Their meat is healthy and tasty and, of course, it has the benefit of eliminating dog allergies. I have meat from various breeds for guests to try. Retrievers are my personal favorite, but they are all delicious, except for the Arctic wolf I tried last year. Still, tasting every breed is on my bucket list. What breed did you say you have?”

If that won’t make a dog owner cancel, nothing will.

27 Likes

@Brian_R170 That right there is a thing of beauty…to those of us who get satire. I’m waiting for someone who doesn’t and who doesn’t read the whole thread to respond to it. LOL.

3 Likes

hahaa thanks I needed that laugh. Been on difficult conference calls all day and not finished… :scream:

2 Likes

Now you’re bringing the guests into this? :rofl: read? hahaha… ouch.

@Brian_R170 priceless, absolutely priceless. >doffs hat<

1 Like

Yes, I think it might be a good business. Our zebra apart is pets friendly but I think that the host must think about the furnishing- for example expensive carpets or sofas, and also to keep in mind the location and neighbors. Places close to parks, or with appropriate yards are more suitable.

… and change your profile photo to Hannibal Lecter?

The possibilities are endless …

"Of course you can bring your dog! I really miss my own dogs, unfortunately I have not seen them since a little “mishap” with the baby gate in the living room. Does your dog like spotted hyenas? We have five for our own emotional support !!

2 Likes

My listing states that pets are not safe as the property is not fenced and borders State game lands. I thought it was a tactful way of saying “We love animals, but so do the bears!” but now I think I should just smack the guests over the head with this statement. At least I know they should get it, and I’ll get a laugh … If only they would read :wink:

5 Likes

LOLOLOLOL! Thanks for the tasty morsel of humor…

Omgerd! Genius…I must remember to have a bit more fun when responding to requests that are not agreeable. Thank you

although we don’t allow pets at our listing (a room in our house) it’s not been an issue as most of our guests are here on business. Still, we recently traveled to Portland, OR. with our pup and stayed in a lovely basement apt Airbnb. The host had a super-friendly dog and the two became fast friends. It was a delight to wake up one morning to THIS.

8 Likes

I was in the other Portland (ME) a few weeks ago and booked a place so I could wake up to this

10 Likes

Cause they look tasty!

5 Likes

We often have guests who say they booked our place BECAUSE we have a dog!

1 Like

I always look for homes with animals. I wish there were a way to filter for it. It’s an important amenity as far as I’m concerned. As I was looking at another host’s town a few days ago I found the listing of my dreams.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/29455286?source_impression_id=p3_1568059050_Gd%2BgA%2Bfp4fybbj9u

6 Likes

I look for homes with dogs too!

The further away from home (and my dog) the more important it is.

4 Likes

An emotional support animal is not the same as a service animal. A certified service animal is specially trained in both service and behavior. A certified service animal has actually been certified by a known agency.

There is no certifying agency for emotional support animals. There is no requirement that they be trained in anything at all. Far too often, they are poorly trained.

I don’t know for sure, but I’d be surprised if Airbnb requires hosts to accept emotional support animals, even if they do have some kind of requirement for accepting service animals (and I don’t know whether they do require acceptance of service animals.

Airlines are increasing refusing to allow emotional support animals in the cabin, although I believe that they all allow service animals, with stated restrictions on the number of animals per cabin.