Inquiry denied but guest instant booked another listing

I am at a loss why you do not simply HAVE these one-time-purchase things - they would get you a booking and inquirys would stop for people who want a specific coffee maker or a desk. A one time cost ($25 for a white noise machine for example) and the list grows smaller.

We look at any interaction with a potential guest as an opportunity - in these cases, letting us know what is missing or is needed. And some are simply things you could have as saved messages: “We do not have a washer and dryer on site, but there is a laundromat located at xxxx, about 10 minutes away”. Giving a guest information is what we in the business of hospitality call “hospitality”.

Even things you cannot acommodate you can turn into a positive interaction - “Sorry, we can only host x amount of guests. Hope to see you in the future with a party of xxx or less”. Cost of being gracious and, candidly, an adult, $0.00.

I agree with the other hosts who have tried to help you and your constant deflections and evasive responses are not endearing you to the people who are your best resource.

7 Likes

There are some things a host may be unable to provide, like hi-speed Wifi. I only had the option of cell-based Wifi, which was metered and quite expensive, until quite recently, and I have now upgraded. It still isn’t lightning speed, as I’m sure many people are accustomed to, but at least it’s faster and unlimited. But I was very clear in my ad about the limited Wifi so I never had any guests complaining about it.

I also wouldn’t purchase a white noise machine, as there is no space for anything else in the guest room, and have never had any guest ask about one. I do provide earplugs for those who require silence when they sleep, but it’s pretty quiet at my place normally, anyway. Crickets and frogs mainly.

But something like a desk and a chair seem awfully basic.

And I don’t get guests who inquire about things like what type of coffee maker I have. They’ve all been quite happy with the French press and selection of teas. I wonder why some hosts get so many guests who inquire about stuff like this when other hosts never do.

It’s like watching a house plant wander toward the window when you want it to grow the other direction. :wink:

3 Likes

So you turn the planter!

I was thinking viny plants. Houseplants die for me. An outdoor or greenhouse garden with a schedule works for me.

Wow, after reading this, I think you probably did the guest a favor. You sound like a treat to rent from.

1 Like

I bought a like-new Keurig even though I hate them because I got a lot of inquiries. $60 and I got the single Keurig with 80 pods of coffee and the 4 drawer pod storage. FB Marketplace FTW.

A point the OP seems to have an issue with. That the business is hands on hospitality.

Oh but OP’s time is soooo valuable.

I think that’s the general consensus here. :wink:

2 Likes