Increasing value for guests

Or 4000 miles of the Caribbean! I always would find out that there was a cord showing, or the picture was a little crooked, or the planter needed some paint - never quite 100% perfect!

2 Likes

I shamelessly edit the cords out of the pics with blemish touch up. My husband is somewhat fanatical about painting them, also. If they run down the wall, he paints them the same color as the wall.

1 Like

This is one from my listing. I didnā€™t notice that welcome mat until I got the pics uploaded. I was taking a lot of exterior photos trying to take advantage of the Golden Hour at the end of a week that had been overcast for days on end. We donā€™t have the ability to upload and edit them there. I just ā€œspray and prayā€ and ā€¦ canā€™t wait to get back out at Thanksgiving to re-do them! :smiley:

welcome%20mat

1 Like

Forgive my aging eyes but what is the problem with the welcome mat?

1 Like

My husband had washed the patio off with water and didnā€™t move the rug when he did it. It then got straightened up to be lined up properly, leaving a dirt outline where it was sitting when it got rinsed down. I didnā€™t notice it because it was still wet when I lined the rug up. The dirt didnā€™t show until the water dried.

1 Like

And here was me seeing 2 mats and wondering what the issue wasā€¦

1 Like

And itā€™s all I see when I look at that picture. Again, Iā€™ve cropped out what is otherwise a pretty nice photo of the front porch.
If you want someone to find all the flaws in the space shown in the listing pics, Iā€™m your gal evidently lol.
I did eventually book an adorable looking place but I was having this problem when I was searching for a place to stay myself. I kept finding things in the pictures that made me think the host really didnā€™t do a good job taking care of the unit.

When I see sloppily made beds with crooked sheets trailing out from under the top covers, I imagine those covers are dirty and smell bad and move on.

1 Like

Iā€™m getting ready to do new pics in the next 2 weeks or so. Iā€™ll submit to you first.

3 Likes

Alrighty! Iā€™ll be happy to preview them for you.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s another of mine. We had the whole place full of glue traps and I didnā€™t see that one on top of the cabinets when we took them up because Iā€™m vertically challenged. I didnā€™t realize it was still up there until after the picture was already taken, then I forgot to re-take it before we left. We donā€™t leave glue traps in guest areas at all.

glue%20trap

1 Like

That mat to me looked like it wasnā€™t in front of a doorway. I did see the dust square too.

Yes, thatā€™s the front door.

As Iā€™ve gone through listings in my area tonight, the thought occurs to me that another way to increase value for guests is to furnish the house with something better than one can find on the curb in the city during heavy trash pickup. Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m all about thrifting and upcycling. Some of these listings really took the shabby thing seriously, but forgot the chic part entirely.

2 Likes

Curb Appeal?
Youā€™d be surprised whats there in Cow Hollow on trash Day!
Iā€™ve been known to adopt a few things from the neighbors, but usually I end up giving them away or to my Dog.

Yes, the furniture Iā€™m referring to has curb appeal. Putting it out on the curb sounds appealing.

2 Likes

Glue traps? What do thosethingsdo?/Do they work on guests?

They catch scorpions. Our place was totally infested when we closed on it. Itā€™s not now. But at one point we had about 100 of those things throughout the house until we got a chemical barrier down.

1 Like

Iā€™m not above picking things up off the curb, donā€™t get me wrong. Iā€™ve scored some great things on heavy trash day. But hereā€™s an example. Those table/chair legsā€¦ whew boy.

Do some refinishing between picking it up off the curb and putting it out for guests to use! lol

This is $310 a night, by the way. NOT a budget listing.

2 Likes

I know. My cheap but perfect size and function table legs are going to get a good drubbing (sanding, stain etc) when we have a friend here in Sept!!
Those do look like they might be semi-abused and a possbily passee style for such a shishi-listing<><>
Iā€™d try sanding and Amber shellac from Zinsser on those.

The whole set is in rough shape from what the pics show, so I imagine itā€™s even rougher in person. It needs to be completely refinished and it would be lovely. Like that what I presume is painted concrete floor but it looks like it just needs sweeping.

@LoneStar @gypsy Those are vintage school chairs, probably as early as 1940ā€™s! Someone paid a premium for those. They are not originally dining chairs and so werenā€™t likely handed down from family but bought in a vintage store. If they were salvaged from a curb, it was one hell of a find. They were salvaged at some point but it was from an old school, possibly even an auction. In 20 years they will be legit antiques. Itā€™s hard to tell from the photos if thatā€™s all wear and tear from the years or actual dirtiness that could use a gentle wiping, but a lot of people would consider them ā€œruinedā€ if you sanded and shellaced them as the historical wear on them can be considered an attribute.

The floor looks like Marmoleum. It makes since for the person who also valued those school chairs. I have seen some with random patterns like that. I donā€™t believe for a minute that it needs sweeping. It could also be stained concrete with a random pattern that is intentional, Iā€™ve seen those too.

Different strokes for different folks.

2 Likes