Inaccurate bad review

I have doing AIrbnb for almost 2 years in my home with over 200 almost 5 star reviews, and just recently I had 2 guests leave me bad reviews. I take this personally because I go out of my way to make my guests feel at home. The complaints are always about house rules but I wouldnt be able to do this in my home unless I had them…so Im really unclear what people expect.
I have everything stated in the listing as well as in their room. I have signs in the shared bath and in the kitchen. I state in the listing that I have 3 rooms that I rent on Airbnb, and someone complained about that??
Im feeling a little frustrated like you just cant win.

1 Like

What was inaccurate about the reviews?

Have you spoken to Airbnb about the inaccuracies? I have had similar things on occasion, like a 3 star review for not being able to make tea in my kitchen all day when it is made crystal clear before booking in my listing that is not included. (Only breakfast and light use in the evening). Crazy when I live right in amongst a vigorous cafe culture! People don’t seem to grasp the simple fact that if full self catering and day lounges were available, at the cost of square footage in my neighborhood, the price of the accommodation would have to be double. Some people expect you to offer up your own space to them for free. Perhaps they’d like hosts to move out? Thankfully they’re a minority.
Stick to your guns. Like you I wouldn’t be able to offer the space without rules, so if they don’t like it they can stay in a shared room in the youth hostel for the same price.

Many hosts have an electric kettle and instant coffee or teas in the rooms for guests. It’s a nice hospitality touch.

Understood that you don’t offer this. Just something to consider if you wish to add an extra guest-pleasing amenity.

Yep the UK is probably the world leader in kettles in bedrooms!
In my case I offer single rooms which are too small for this. Also I am not sure my market would be prepared to pay for the extra cleaning etc this perk involves. If I had bigger rooms at a higher rate I would.
The point is my listing makes it clear tea and coffee facilities are only available at breakfast and in the evening. As I am in the middle of literally dozens of cafes this is not an issue for normal budget folks. Whenever guests kick against house rules or demand more than they have paid for they cause problems.
The guest in question just wanted lots of personal attention and to use my whole home 24/7, she had a hole in the soul. My target guests are visiting my city to enjoy all it has to offer. She was a drifter going from Airbnb to Airbnb with nothing better to do than leave me a bad review for not providing something I wasn’t even selling.

Can you post the reviews? Otherwise it just comes across as a host wanting some assurance that every little things gonna be alright. And you can get that from Bob Marley:

Don’t worry about a thing
'Cause every little thing gonna be alright

To limit work, costs and actual consumption :rofl: we decided to not have anything in one of the three rooms we rent out. Instead we have a big tray in the living dining room with cold water, hot water, thee, instant coffee, a few biscuits, a few sweets and fruit (and a few flowers in a vase). Since it’s in a communal space, people don’t really dare to eat or drink everything at their disposal, but they limit themselves a bit because of ‘social’ control. Or at least that’s how I believe it works.

It’s one big beautiful tray with a welcome message written on the mirror next to it. It looks great, makes the guest feel at home, makes them feel like they’re getting extras but in the end it costs very little: Until now I guess on average of 35 dollar cents per person per day. I think I have eaten more biscuits and sweets than our guests have :sweat_smile:.

It could be an option to consider.

3 Likes

I used to leave chocolates for the guest but then would get through the whole packet myself so stopped.

2 Likes

Yep sounds great if you have that spare reception room for guests. At the square footage cost in my city that room with the complimentary tray would have to earn more than £X per year. It’s just not economic whatsoever. Guests would prefer to spend £2 on the cafe culture 5 minutes walk away rather than pay 50% extra for their room.
It’s all about offering different products for different guests. I don’t sell my place on tea making facilities (although at least the guests get the option of real coffee in the morning and evening, which is amazing for a budget listing), I sell it on proximity to cafes!

Yep, naive hosts offering their soul for a song. They will eventually either give up or get tougher, in the meantime they give guests an unrealistic impression.