If I have to stay in a hotel while guests in my house, can I claim as expense?

Generally, I am out of town when renting my house on AirBNB. However, I am going to have to stay in a hotel during one night of their stay. Can I claim that as an expense on my taxes?

Ask your CPA… but in my mind that would be “pushing the limit.” I don’t know… possible?? Travel expense?

No, you cannot write off your hotel stay – not even as a business travel expense especially if the hotel is located in your tax home. Here’s the short blurb from the IRS about your tax home:

“Generally, your tax home is the entire city or general area where your main place of business or work is located, regardless of where you maintain your family home. For example, you live with your family in Chicago but work in Milwaukee where you stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants. You return to Chicago every weekend. You may not deduct any of your travel, meals or lodging in Milwaukee because that is your tax home. Your travel on weekends to your family home in Chicago is not for your work, so these expenses are also not deductible. If you regularly work in more than one place, your tax home is the general area where your main place of business or work is located.”