IB, Requests, Inquiries, and MY CAT >rant<

Hey, what is IB? I’m a newbie and we are close to opening our “west/guest wing”. We have cats and a dog, I will have to take note of what you all do to manage that. Our cats will probably walk right into their space if the doors or windows are open so guess we will need to not take bookings from anyone who is allergic/doesn’t like them.

IB means Instant Book.

Make sure to include a couple of photos of the cats/dog in your listing. This helps a lot. Search this forum for tons of topics on cats (and dogs)…you will find a wealth of information and advice!

I’ve had a similar situation where a guest was allergic to cats and wanted a deep cleaning of the room. I did my best but told her it was impossible for her bedroom to be cat hair free. She was happy in the end.
I make super clear that my cat has full range of the house, including the guest bedroom. She’s the 4th photo. In general, my cat gets more positive comments in the review than I do. :laughing: Guests love her because she loves to be petted and hangs out with everyone. Greets guests at the door when they arrive. Probably part dog in another life!

3 Likes

My other house, the one I don’t live in is pet free and always will be. My own house however… Is in mourning. One of my beloved cats died.

This makes me miss my last cat, she was super social and would come running to meet anyone new as they entered the house. No aloofness to her at all.

Your cat looks lovely :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Good lord, what a beautiful cat.

I am an in-home and cat resident host, too, but I tend to be a more indirect in my approach. If someone proposes they wish to do something they specifically said they wouldn’t, or if they don’t read any of my house description or rules, I tend to make cancelling their option by making my place seem less desirable.

I make the cat a part of my first sentence in the description. I also emphasize in any reply that I live in the house, just down the hall, and that, as a guest, they will have to interact with me at some (probably many) points, and that I’m at the house more than I’m somewhere else.

That seems to help the misapprehension that the lock box and self check-in might contrast. I let them know I’m a real person who is going to be staying with them. I might have gone to the store, or a movie; “let yourself in, and we’ll talk later”. Making it personal seems to make it easier to say something like, “oh, you might be a better fit for these folks who hate cats and who ask you to leave the key in the lock box”.

Many folks just want a cheaper motel room, and some AirBnB is like that. But a lot of us are on the balance of providing a nice, affordable place to stay, and being personal. When I get weird requests, I focus on the personal, and then offer, even if more expensive, options in the area. Folks usually get the idea. Take a deep breath. Let them figure it out.

By the way, from what I know, biology tells us that it’s not cat hair or dander that causes allergies, but the protein in their saliva when licking their fur. And cats tend to mark people and places with secretions from glands in their face (chin, forehead, hindquarters), which I’m sure has some effect.

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear that. I can’t imagine how difficult that must be.

I am so sorry to hear this, and sympathise deeply. The first two weeks are absolutely the worst.

Our two aged cats died in 2018, after more than twenty years with us, and I found the unconscious expectation of seeing them about the place very hard, almost haunting.

We found two kittens in July last year as their successors; lovely but wild wee beasties. One disappeared just before Christmas, and the other went out on Christmas evening and didn’t come back. We found his body on the doorstep the following morning. I don’t know which was the worst experience; knowing what happened or not knowing, but at least we know he had a swift death.

In mid January I went to see an old school friend whose husband is a vet. She promptly took me straight off to their local cat rescue centre, before a liquid lunch together. A week later we took in two lovely 2-3 year old boys, who are settling in very well together. A plus is that the house is somewhat more peaceful than with the kittens!

I would post pics of them for you but have you ever tried taking photos of two jet black/green eyed identicats? To date, I haven’t been able to take one of them together, where they can actually be clearly seen! And of course, once I succeed, they will be No 2 on my listing…

Whist we still mourn our lovely kittens, the grief has been eased by this pair, cuddling up on the bed, having a furry to cuddle and stroke purring with appreciation.

Take care of yourself.:kissing_cat:

6 Likes

Cat pictures on the listing from day 1. That’s why Air stands behind me when I have these issues. I still get people with allergies trying to book. Because… People…

I loathe those things and diffusers with an abiding passion. My home is mostly FF (otherwise I’d be a walking migraine), but some products contain scents that dissipate over an hour or two.

I will accommodate no bleach, but my cat is my cat. :wink:

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss.

They should be called “odorizer plug-ins”. If I were a guest and arrived to a house with those, I’d immediately wonder what bad smells they were trying to mask.

2 Likes

So am I, OMG, it’s been so hard. I agree the first 2 weeks were horrible. Yeah, I changed the title to “House of cats” so people would know what to expect. I have towels with cats and I even found a bed sheet set with cats. Cat people love that.

1 Like