I seem to be having a bad run!

just Google UV hotel Bathrooms - images…:face_vomiting:
All the CSI fun you could possibly want.

Ok, maybe all my cleaners will quit when they see what they have to clean?!

4 Likes

I bonded with @KKC when she sent me a link to a UV flashlight on Amazon. Indispensable. Also great for showing any and all urine in a bathroom. Seriously, how can urine be 3ft up on a wall? HOW?

2 Likes

You don’t need to. You can improvise one on your phone. That way there isn’t the expense of buying one for yourself and one for every cleaner. Here’s how:

@Poppy – anytime you contact Air CS, make sure you get the name and location of each person you talk to. The time of day and your location dictates which of the several Air CS Centers you talk to. That way, when you called the 3rd time and that CS person was siding with the guests, you could have said

“CS Rep X and Y told me this… I’m following their advice; why are you trying to undermine what they told me to do? Let me speak to your supervisor.” Then complain…

9 Likes

Ah yes, the black light thread. That was so much fun, people have no idea! BTW, not everything that lights up with a black light is a bodily fluid so the spots on the throw could be something else. That said, that’s why people wash all the cloth items that people touch every time. I’d do away with the throws if you aren’t going to launder them.

As for hairs, your cleaners must put sticky rollers (3m makes the brand I like) into their cleaning kit. I sticky roller before and after laundering because hair will stick to the linens through the wash and dry cycles. And because I always have dog hair on me I can be making the bed and a hair will appear where there wasn’t one. The last thing a guest wants to see when they pull up the covers to their face at night it another person’s hair.

The drains. Drains are gross. I remove the cover to my shower drain and clear of hair every few stays. Yes if you shine a light down it you can see hair and I don’t want my guests to see anyone’s hair but their own.

Another thing I recommend it a headlamp, the kind with an elastic strap around your head. Once you get bright light on things (obviously as the guest did) you will see things that you normally miss. This is especially true as you age so if your cleaners are over 40…

My other weapons are magic eraser “sponges” They are a melamine abrasive so will scratch a soft surface if you use it too vigorously. I use those and a microfiber cloth for polishing stainless steel, not any of those greasy polishes that just make it worse. They are also great for countertops, floors, grout, mirrors, …Get one and go into a freshly cleaned floor and scrub. I’ll be surprised if you don’t find it gray with dirty residue.

Here are a couple of the threads that discussed things mentioned above. We have had multiple threads with great cleaning tips, use search to find them.

8 Likes

@Poppy You have such high turnover, that I would guess eventually someone like this is to be expected. Kudo’s for handling it the way you did.

thanks to @CatskillsGrrl and @KKC I’ve read many of the cleaning links today and I’m feeling so inadequate. I’ve now:

• I’ve added a lint roller to my cleaning Box
  • I’ve ordered a helmet light.
  • I have the same black light posted herein, but I’ve only used it to detect Scorpions. It will now be newly purposed despite the fear of what I might find! :roll_eyes:
    lewinskydress
  • one thing I didn’t see mentioned but have learned about Magic Eraser (that in addition to using it for luggage scuffs, chrome fixtures) it also helps remove water spots from shower glass

QUESTION:
https://www.costco.com/Clorox-Clean-Up-Cleaner-%2B-Bleach-32-oz-with-180-oz-Refill--.product.100146130.html
I use this Clorox spray product to clean the toilet, toilet seat, toilet lever, door levers, light switches, the floor & walls around toilet, and the shower floor. I also give a spray in the drains (after cleaning the hair out, and on the toilet brush when rinsed. It has a harsh smell so I leave the ventilation fans on, and it eventually dissipates. Are there other budget friendly options that disinfect / clean as well that anyone would recommend over this, that may not be so harsh?

4 Likes

Thanks for that, I do find that some are really supportive and then the next one will say the opposite. All ours have the same accent - the Philippines.

Thanks, I was thinking this is going to get expensive. This must have been what the guest had!

This thread is freaking me out! UV lights? Isn’t cleaning all the hard surfaces and washing all the linens enough?

13 Likes

I’m glad someone else thinks this. I was beginning to get worried by this thread! :smiley:

5 Likes

I think we can all agree that none of us ever want to host this guest. And surely this isn’t the first time they have done this?

She has reviewed me, I will be waiting the 14 days so that her review will be well down the list. I am thinking of writing something along the lines of: A guest that no hosts ever wants to book, run well away! Of course there is nothing stopping her closing the account down and opening a new one and some poor other host is going to have to go through it.

Keep in mind that each guest gets to review as they see fit. We aren’t cleaning for us, we are cleaning for them. Most of my guests are driving and quite a few bring their own linens and pillows in. Maybe they are picky about the pillows but if they are bringing their own sheets and blankets it’s because they don’t trust the ones in their rentals.

I agree. Are you going to be more specific about why they should be avoided?

This is sadly much too easy and too common.

I have learned to follow @KenH approach to reviews. Simple, NonEmotional, Factual.

Joe-Friday

1 Like

It’s true! Bad guests come in runs. And this one is beyond the pale. In the same breath, do hotels use black lights and lint rollers?

“Beyond the pale or no”, @Poppy your cute attempt at sarcastic humor will NOT go over well.

Cannot recommend Guest, ever. Guest used a blacklight and a magnifying glass in an attempt to prove my listing is dirty so he could get a full refund! Poor communications as well.

9 Likes

We are not hotels…I thought that was the point.

For myself, I try (not sucessfully but it’s a nice thought) to treat others the way I want to be treated. I don’t want to pull the sheet up to my face and see someone else’s hair tickling the tip of my nose. I don’t want lift the toilet seat and see dried yellow spots of another person’s urine on the underside of the seat. I have a high, high tolerance for dirt, hair and germs but the room is for my guests, all of them, not for me.

1 Like

And to repeat, it’s becoming a pet peeve of mine that hosts are quick to use the example of hotels when it suits them but reject it when it doesn’t. So if a hotel doesn’t offer free check in before 2pm and a hotel doesn’t wash the bedspread it’s fine for us to do it as well. If a hotel offers as many towels as you want and daily cleaning at no extra fee…“we aren’t hotels.”

5 Likes

I think lint rollers and black lights are in different categories. Finding a hair on the sheets or spots of urine on a toilet is so different than a guest bringing a black light and doing a CSI-level inspection of a space. I don’t think that should be the standard expected for hotels OR STRs.

8 Likes