I owe Airbnb $6000

Hi there, I’m new to the forum!

I’m also a new host.

I had a issue with my first guests, they thought my apt was too noisy so they canceled the $6000 reservation the day after check-in. The payout already hit my account. I was told by airbnb that the funds would be deducted from my future bookings. However at this point I’m not sure I want to host again considering the noise may be an issue again. My question is, how long do I have to repay airbnb? If I dont plan on hosting for awhile do I need to send them a check or can I just wait until I feel comfortable taking on reservations again? I dont want this to impact my credit. There doesn’t seem to be any information regarding timing on their website or this forum.

Thanks for your time

Because I may be inclined to follow airbnb protocol of having it deducted from my future reservations. That is why it would be helpful to know what the timeline is for this.

I think you should call them now and ask if and how you can send the money back.

1 Like

I would return the money immediately, since I haven’t earned it, at all.

3 Likes

I don’t think there is a clear WAY to do that… that’s why this host needs to call for instructions.

Take it back to the beginning. How did they go about cancelling? How long were they originally planning to stay? When you say it’s noisy and you expect it to be a problem in the future, what sort of noise are we talking about?

Did you have other bookings for the future already on your calendar? If you walk away from those, you could end up owing even more money.

But if he DID, HOW? There is not a way that I know of Bob. If you refund on the guest reservation, that 6K goes to the guest. SO HOW? I believe that was his original question!

Bottom line, he needs to call them about returning the money. I would be nervous they would go after me or report me to credit bureaus. Can anyone with time on their hands do the research? Look at the TOS and see if there’s anything mentioned about returning money or just dumping Air if you got a big payout like this? What’s to stop hosts from doing it if there is no consequence? I’m not saying anything other than, what does AIR say int heir TOS about this?

"If you owe or agree to pay any amount via Airbnb Payments to Airbnb (whether as a result of your bookings or actions as a Guest or otherwise), then Airbnb Payments may (but is not obliged to) withhold the amount owing to Airbnb from any payout amounts due to you as a Host, and use the withheld amount to setoff the amount owed by you to Airbnb. If Airbnb Payments does so, then your obligation to pay Airbnb will be extinguished to the extent of the amount withheld by Airbnb Payments, and Airbnb will cease to owe to you any obligations (including, but not limited to, any obligation to pay you) with respect to the amount withheld. In addition to the amount due, if your account is delinquent or you otherwise have chargebacks on your account, you may be charged fees that are incidental to our collection of these delinquent amounts and chargebacks. Such fees or charges may include collection fees, convenience fees, or other third party charges. You hereby explicitly agree that all communication in relation to delinquent accounts will be made by electronic mail or by phone, as provided to Airbnb by you. Such communication may be made by Airbnb or by anyone on its behalf, including but not limited to a third party collection agent."

YEAH, FelixCat!! thanks for looking this up!!! I had a feeling this was the case! You can’t just keep the money!

I would take it a few steps back and ask:

1. Are you liable to refund in the first place? If guest cancels after check in, I presume refund is not automatic, and the presumption is you keep the money unless there can be proof of whatever is alleged, or unless you as the host AGREE to refund the money.

2. Had Airbnb already refunded the guest?

^^^ You first took the point of legality, I believe some of us are taking the view of morality, big difference. The two oftentimes are not the same, at all.

The fact is the host is asking how long should he take to return the money, what is wrong with instantly? Also said and realizes the noise may be a factor in the future, even making him/her rethink perhaps hosting may not be really feasible in their particular noisy place. In other words, the guests, in all likelihood had a valid reason to do leave. AirBnB on the other hand, is making it way too easy for fudging with what should be basic principles of fair play..

More gems from the TOS:

In certain circumstances,** Airbnb may decide, in its sole discretion, that it is necessary or desirable to cancel a confirmed booking made via the Site, Application and Services.** This may be for reasons set forth in Airbnb’s Extenuating Circumstances policy** or for any other reason.** Airbnb Payments may also determine, in its sole discretion, to refund to the Guest part or all of the amounts charged to the Guest in accordance with the Guest Refund Policy. You agree that Airbnb and the relevant Guest or Host will not have any liability for such cancellations or refunds.

If, as a Host, your Guest cancels a confirmed booking or Airbnb decides that it is necessary to cancel a confirmed booking, and Airbnb issues a refund to the Guest in accordance with the Guest Refund Policy or other applicable cancellation policies, you agree that in the event you have already been paid Airbnb shall be entitled to recover the amount of any such Guest refund from you, including by subtracting such refund amount out from any future Accommodation Fees due to you.

So, Air can cancel for any reason it sees fit at their discretion…

You would think they would be reasonable in entertaining both sides of a story, but, legally, they don’t have to.

I deal a lot with AirBnB nowadays because they are using my spot to enhance their new advertising campaign. I have found them very dynamic and extremely fair in their dealings. Its a young company, full of young very personable people.

@felixcat Your posts are VERY informative btw.

1 Like

Yes, they seem quite reasonable. They helped us out quite a bit during that monster snowstorm a couple months ago.