"I need to stay in the guide"

SandyToes,
I’m Canadian, and an ESL Teacher and have never heard anyone say “car park” we say garage or parking lot.

1 Like

Hi SandyToes - another Canadian here and in Ontario we all say garage. One fun thing you hear in Ontario is ‘Demon Deal’ which means a really good price on an item. Just thinking about funny sayings in local areas and going off topic…

1 Like

I thought that was a British thing. I’m Canadian and I say parking lot as a public place to park a car. Garage is the enclosed space attached to your house or apartment where you park a car and the accent is on the second syllable gah-RAHJE.

1 Like

I don’t think Forester wants to stay in the garage

In the US Subaru makes an SUV called a Forester. So a Forester might want to stay in the garage.

2 Likes

Believe it or not, I just got back from a month in the northwest (house hunting) and a Forester is the car we were “upgraded” to when they didn’t have a mid-size available. It’s like a small SUV but tall enough so we could see it in any parking lot. (The other half drove it and said it was sorta goosey.)

Two nights before we left, someone stole the license plate off the back end with the 2018 sticker, so we borrowed a Phillips and switched the front plate to the back. … :laughing:

1 Like

@barnes. Any update on what using the “guide” means? I dont know if it is check-in time where you are yet.

It’s late night here, he’s due tomorrow afternoon, but still hasn’t replied since I asked him what he meant!
The suspense is killing me!
Does he want to stay somewhere else, in a gite?

1 Like

Maybe he needs a guide so he can stay in a gite, while he flies a kite and enjoys a bite.

Silliness while we wait…

2 Likes

All through the night!

2 Likes

And ponders if his trip is alright.

2 Likes

The Canadian bag of shite

4 Likes

@SandyToes

I have two friends who own Subaru Forrester’s. You cannot kill those vehicles; they go FOREVER. One friend thought she wanted a new one but now the game is “let’s see how long this one will go”. The other thought she would keep hers until her daughter graduated college. Other than the usual, tires, brakes, & oil changes, it is still going strong. She thinks it will easily last through graduate school.

@Annet3176 - Hey, thanks for the personal inside info. I was fine with the car (except for the color) and it may take precedence over the Prius recommended by two friends who have them. If the Forester lasts as long as our Lexus 330, which is going on 14 (15?) yrs., then it’s good enough for me! We’re in need of a second car.

1 Like

@SandyToes. Subaru or Toyota. I don’t think you can make a bad choice. I had a ‘93 Camry that went many many years with no problems.

They’ve arrived! They’re not as Canadian as I was expecting, and only one daughter (out of 2 daughters, 2 parents) speaks (broken) English. There was no car. She asked if she could cook a pizza, I said ‘sorry, no kitchen facilities’, can I use your fridge, I said ‘sorry no kitchen facilities. But if it’s JUST a sandwich, then ok, but I don’t know if I’ll be there in the morning’

So a bit confusing, as expected, but no dramas, but she seemed disappointed about the kitchen. Just as I’m 4 days from Super Aitch!

This stay doesn’t have anything to do the SH for this quarter.

It seems to be a given that Chinese/Japanese guests will want to cook. I have a kettle and a microwave in the guest room and a pair of Japanese guests asked about cooking noodles. I just told them to use the microwave. I’ve started telling Chinese guests in my initial message that there is no kitchen. One woman booked, said no kitchen wasn’t a problem but then canceled the next day. So I’d suggest reiterating it in a welcome message.

1 Like

good tip, I shall do that x

So how many stars for communication? Her English is way better than any of my foreign languages, but she didn’t reply to my 2 queries about the ‘guide’

Where are they from?

1 Like