I just had my first nightmare guest, can someone help?

I was about to celebrate this. We never hear of these cases working out in favor of the host. I was going to ask what her secret was and then I read this

Ah, so that’s what it takes to have Airbnb enforce your cancellation policy.

4 Likes

I was going to say the same thing. She had some status and note with the company. 99.99 % of us don’t.

2 Likes

I already posted several times thatvthe same happened to me , and not once but few times.
I got paid 100% and not only people didn’t stay , my calendar was opened and I got it booked again and was paid twice.

1. A family brought 12 people instead of 8 and I didn’t let them in. I would work something out with them but they were so rude that I took money with pleasure and rented it the same day to another family.
  2. People cancelled 2 days before . I have them
    50% refund though I didn’t have to.
  3. Not to go far. This Saturday I got paid for the same room 3 times. : brother and sister booked for 2 but were trying to sneak in another person. Room is tiny. How were they going to pull this off with me there present is unknown. Not only that, they lied to me when I asked them if there is a 3rd person. Them “mom” came in and started yelling at me that I don’t let a child (18 years old stay there . And again the stupid “but there is no charge for extra person” version.
    Then a couple booked and she didn’t like the room because there was no TV. Boyfriend was trying to convince her that it’s the last room under 200$ on Airbnb but she wouldn’t listen. I got paid again.
    And then I rented it again to “normal” guests.
2 Likes

Previously she had lost one to a (white) South African guest who cancelled when she realized she would be staying in a black/Hispanic neighborhood. My friend not only didn’t get paid, the South African woman wrote a terrible review (she didn’t even enter the house), and my friend didn’t get any bookings for two months after that review. Sometimes it depends on luck of the draw. I understand Air is contracting out customer service now. Some of the reps are ill-trained, like the one who told my friend she couldn’t cancel her soccer player guests because her evidence–outdoor security camera photos–was illegal since she didn’t disclose that she had outdoor cameras in her listing. Later someone she talked to at Air said that was an error–it’s not illegal to have outdoor security cameras, undisclosed or not.

1 Like

First, it’s Airbnb policy that all security cameras have to be disclosed. Since she was in violation of Airbnb policy it’s not surprising that they weren’t supportive. It is of course not illegal but that is not the same as what Airbnb policy is. For example, it’s not illegal to discriminate against me because I’m gay. It is a violation of Airbnb policy. So it seems to me the she or the Airbnb rep is misusing the word illegal. You can read about the requirement here:

Second, even if your friend didn’t have to disclose the existence of the cameras it would be a good idea to do so to deter the bad behavior. Some people like to make a game of it and catch people doing wrong but I prefer to just deter them from trying anything in the first place.

As for not getting any bookings after a bad review, that’s terrible. That sort of review tyranny shouldn’t be allowed especially not by a racist guest.

2 Likes

Shocking, shocking, shocking!!!
Just received a message from airbnb, the woman who cancelled her 8 weeks booking after staying at my house for 3 weeks is going to get full refund. I meant including the 3 weeks she stayed here. I will get nothing for hosting her for 3 weeks, plus her husband came to stay for one night.
How can it be right???
Help! Help!Help!

Why are Airbnb saying they are giving her a full refund. This makes no sense?

It’s just impossible. On what grounds? They can’t give her refund so far back

I agree with others that doesn’t seem right. If in fact that is what happened you need to call back and see if you can get another case manager. If that doesn’t work you need to tweet about it or post on their Facebook page.

2 Likes

The guest claimed she broke her shoulder (now saying broke her arm), so
it’s extenuating circumstances. She has been unable to send in any
documents to prove her injury.
Unbelievable! Shocking! Angry!

Broke her shoulder but still stayed for three weeks?? What am I missing here ?

Now it started to sound like anti Airbnb propaganda. Extenuating circumstances can apply for cancelling coming reservation but not past when a guest actually stayed already. Especially for such a long time as 3 weeks
It’s just doesn’t sound real.there is no logic in it, even primitive .

3 Likes

No, broke her shoulder at the end of the third week. She booked for 8
weeks, but initially booked for 3 weeks and then extended to 8 weeks, she
said she broke her shoulder the day before the end of the 3 weeks. so in
fact she stayed for 3 weeks as originally planned. You know what? I offer
discount for long term booking, she extended her booking to get the
discount and then say she broke her shoulder or arm to get full refund
using the cancellation policy under extenuating circumstances. Clever?

Even if she broke shoulder at the end of 3 weeks how is she allowed to cancel 3 weeks that she already stayed ? Are you sure you understood them correctly?

3 Likes

That’s my question too. I have little faith in Airbnb but I can’t believe they are giving away weeks at a time. And if this happened to me I would not rest until I had full payment for the 3 weeks without the discount.

1 Like

Yes, she was given the option to claim all her money back and she has made
such a request

Of course the option there , that’s quite different from actually getting all her money back.

What exactly a message from Airbnb saying?

1 Like

Airbnb message says"the attempt to charge your guest was unsuccessful.

@Caihong sorry this isn’t making much sense.

I’ve never heard of a guest being given money back for a full stay when they had to cancel three weeks in for extenuating circumstances.

I suggest you get on the phone to them asap and ask them to clearly explain why they are letting the guest claim extenuating circumstances if they haven’t been supplied with evidence to show she broke her arm/shoulder? Ask them on what grounds they are refunding the first three weeks.

2 Likes

She already paid … 3 weeks ago…! I have a feeling there is more to the story. What attempt they are talking about?

1 Like