I just had my elderly father (80) call me for help as we was struggling with using Airbnb - how can we help make it easier?

I first started using computers in 1972 when a machine with a fraction of the power of a smart phone filled an entire room and had to be programmed with punched paper tape - but over the last ten years or so the pace of innovation has increased exponentially and I can no longer keep up. And “living on the computer, tablet and smart phone” is just so unhealthy - there’s a real world out there still to explore!

3 Likes

Get his info, log into his account, fill in the items and make the reservation for him. It’s not a third party booking that way.

I didn’t have his ID to complete the verification process.

And “living on the computer, tablet and smart phone” is just so unhealthy - there’s a real world out there still to explore!

You are making an awful lot of assumptions.

Yes, there are a lot of assumptions flying around here and also something that most of us here tend to frown upon - stereotyping.

Many older people have been using ‘modern’ stuff for decades. Someone in their twenties has probably only been using a computer or cellphone for ten or fifteen years or so. Many of the people who pioneered the technology we use today are knocking on quite a bit too.

We shouldn’t assume that because someone is older and can’t manage to do something, that all older people are similarly inept. Many are not.

7 Likes

I would have help him, maybe mange the acct for him? Many senior citizen centers has computer classes and help.