I got a warning for suggesting the guest was Latino but I never did such thing

This is the email from Airbnb. This was with a guest who damaged the property and had throw up everywhere. They wrote a retaliatory one star review. I never once asked if the guest was Latino - why would I care if he was and why would i even think that? This is what I just received. I had put the whole matter behind me until this. About ready to quit air bnb all together. Been a superhost for 6 times in a row and they are going to believe a guest that destroyed my house. Sheesh.

Isabelle J, Apr 11, 10:42 PDT:

Hi Linda,

My name is Isabelle and I work here at Airbnb.

I’m writing to let you know that an interaction with a previous guest was reported to us as a possible violation of our nondiscrimination policy.

Based on our review, it does appear to go against our nondiscrimination policy because by asking the guest if they were Latino and then suggesting they were most likely the ones to have caused damage to the listing, you are making a negative association based on race.

Airbnb exists to create a world where everyone can belong. You can read more about our nondiscrimination policy here: www.airbnb.com/help/nondiscrimination.

Please consider this a warning. We’re not taking action now, but the details of this situation have been added to your account (which only Airbnb representatives can see). If something like this happens again, we have the right to remove your account.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions about the standards you’ve agreed to as an Airbnb user. Simply reply directly to this email to get in touch.

Best regards,

Isabelle
www.airbnb.com/help

Again. Remain calm. Write back and say that you did not ask the guest if they were Latino and that all of the retaliatory threats, reviews and claims were after you asked them to pay for the damages. The fact that all this is in the record in terms of a timeline is why you just got a warning instead of a suspension. Then quit worrying about it. His claim that you said that was apparently after he saw your review of him. Quitting Airbnb or getting kicked off is exactly what he wants. Living well is the best revenge as they say. Keep bringing in the dollars and good reviews and let him fade into the past.

I know it’s irksome to have to deal with false allegations but it happens. This “warning” letter reminds me of times when I was called into the office by the admin (as a high school teacher) and told that there was a complaint about me. It was always with the disclaimer of “I know you didn’t do this but I have to conference with you about it anyway.”

8 Likes

I don’t understand why the guest can falsify information and get ME a warning but they somehow don’t get a warning for what they’ve done? I’ve told Air Bnb (before this email) about how threatening he got on the phone. Yet, they do nothing.

3 Likes

You don’t know if he got a warning or not. Maybe he did and it pissed him off so he called in and made the false claim. For whatever reason he can’t let it go. My guess is that he can’t believe a woman dared cross him. I’m sure he’s taking great pleasure in knowing he’s upsetting you now.

As for Airbnb, if they really are only warning you it’s because they see the guest as their customers. Hosts are burn and churn. Don’t play their game. Besides, you don’t need them. Set up your own website, list on VRBO, and move on.

2 Likes

Which it is why you should do all correspondence thru the app so that all information is shared by both the guest & host are visible by both parties and ABB especially if it is regarding damages / policies. If a guest calls you I would and have in the past just state that to protect the interests of both parties all discussions will need to made in written form thru the app so that there is no misunderstandings or miscommunications as to what is agreed upon by both parties. If there is a disagreement then leave it up to ABB to handle. I would then also post a message via the app, something to the effect… just to re-state, all communications must be made thru the app in regards to any dispute or questions. This protect you and the guest.

8 Likes

KKC…you are absolutely correct! I was accuse to being racist in one review and I just posted the facts and what happened and never mentioned race/ethnicity etc. this was after the guest broke the t-stat causing no a/c in 110 degree weather.

1 Like

All of this over a $80 charge on a $1400 booking. Not worth the $80 at all.
Lesson learned for me, damages under $100 is a cost of doing business. This has cost you way more stress than it is worth.

RR

7 Likes

Agree. But I actually work for someone else. I don’t own the cabins. I’m someone’s personal assistant. It’d be hard for me to explain to him why we have an $83 charge and the guests aren’t paying for it… so it complicates things a little…

Just cut and paste all of your posts on this forum into an email, edit and then hit send.

4 Likes

@KKC your message was so kind and caring that I had to write and thank you for your sensible guidance and support of your fellow hosts…

4 Likes

Yeah good idea… except my boss actually does have a professional, successful career that keeps him very busy and honestly doesn’t even read his personal emails… (He has another assistant that goes through all his work emails.) Although, if this happens again, I think I will take the time to try to explain to him instead of battling it out with Air Bnb/Guest. My boss is a shrewd business man that would probably demand a LOT of detail though…

Then he would not want all this drama over $83

I would have a conversation with him about this and how he wants you to handle minor repairs going forward. Remind him it’s your reputation on the line and tell him you are not going to suffer bad reviews for minor issues.

RR

1 Like

I agree. I didn’t mean to imply that he wouldn’t agree… I just mean he’d ask a lot of questions lol