I do not feel supported as an Airbnb host. Guests make the rules and are kings

Awwww…that must have felt terrible. For both you and the guest. I hope your ratings are better now.

I actually posted on Twitter as you suggested. My handle is "epadat ".

I really do appreciate your Input.

1 Like

You need to go and post on their Facebook as well, they hate poor publicity from both hosts and guests, and update every day when they don’t respond. You need to use strong language as far as how much this has affected you. They no longer have their own Customer Service staff - everything is out sourced, so you are not dealing with real trained people.

2 Likes

Most hosts do when they first start out, or until they have to try to get Airbnb to deal with an issue. All their PR rhetoric is designed to give you complete confidence that they will have your back.

The reality is quite different. They actually used to have good customer service and were supportive of hosts, but that’s no longer the case.

So you just have to consider it a listing service and try to run your business knowing you can’t rely on anyone but yourself to look after your own interests.

2 Likes

I have learnt the had way. I will see them as just that and thread very carefully. Will learn not to utilize their support as they has caused me more problems even.

Will do just that. I have learned more about Airbnb tonight due to this experience. I will follow them on SM and tag them on my posts

Even Superhosts are now dealing with script reading contractors in the Phillipines, not AirBnB employees.

1 Like

The last time I called, which I think was back in October, I called the Superhost number I have for Canada. I expected it to be routed to the know-nothings in the Phillipines, but amazingly it was answered by a Canadian who told me she was in Manitoba when I asked.

I can’t even remember where I first found that number, I seem to recall it being sent to me in some Airbnb Superhost message, but I have guarded it for years, because I haven’t ever seen it listed anywhere else.

1 Like

I noticed they are mostly in the Philippines. Wonder why Philippines!! This is so not good. They blatantly ignore me and my messages even.

True, But AirBnB should stand by it’s promises. Without their hosts they have nothing.

There is no reason to believe that they don’t do so a majority of the time. People confuse anecdotes with data. Things like “my next door neighbor” or “everyone I know” is not a random sample of data. While it’s a data point, it’s not representative of what is going on with the company.

I’ve been familiar with Airbnb since 2013, a host since 2014, and a member of this forum since 2015. People consistently come to the forum to complain. Most people find it because they ran into a problem and they are searching the internet for help. So you come here and read all the complaints and think “oh, Airbnb is in trouble.” Or they never support their hosts, or all the hosts are unhappy, etc.

In any case, most experienced hosts who post here don’t expect Airbnb to do anything except get them bookings and handle the payments. Anything else is just a bonus.

No one looks for a forum to announce that Airbnb gave them $6k for damages, or supported them in their case against a guest.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone here has said about not being supported on some occasions. If Air did what they promise to hosts at all time or at least try then we wouldn’t have any need to complain. Especially for unexperienced hosts like me who are yet to be seasoned like you. This is not an anecdote. It is data. It is happening in real time to people. It might be an opportunity for them to review their policies or go back to the drawing board to determine what they can so different. Again, it’s doesn’t have to cost them a host or guest. There can be a common ground for all. The fact that you haven’t come across it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. It’s good to always shed positive light and be constructive in your criticism.

Empathy also goes a long way too.

Haven’t come across what?

I’ve been here 6 years and I’ve shed lots of positive light and given lots of constructive criticism, as appropriate. But no, I’m not Little Miss Merry Sunshine. Just because someone doesn’t agree with my comments doesn’t have anything to do with how much value they have.

Frankly, when you and Rex Banner agree that Jaquo is an idiot, it undermines everything you post. She’s been in the hospitality business a long time and like everyone else here, volunteers her time and expertise.

The benefit of a forum is you get a lot of opinions from a variety of hosts with a variety of experiences. Creating a helpful, empathetic echo chamber doesn’t help anyone.

5 Likes

I can clearly see that you are not "Little Miss Merry Sunshine ". Being here for 6 years means you possible have something to share with someone who has been "here " for less than a year. Constructive criticism is great and well appreciated. I do take well with it actually and have improved based on recommendations from my previous guests. And I have always thanked them. But you don’t have to make the next person feel like they are not doing anything when I have put in a lot of work, effort and energy and know the value of what u provide.
If you don’t have anything beneficial to contribute, it might be a great idea to check the next post and keep it pushing. Life is hard, don’t make it harder than it already it. Learn empathy and tolerance my dear.

You didn’t answer my question. What is it that you think I haven’t come across?

Perhaps you realized that comment was out of place. Because whatever it is, I probably have come across it. You are not the first person to come here and say that Airbnb didn’t support them, only cares about the guests and so on.

I have lots of beneficial things to contribute and will continue to do so. The scroll button works both ways. If you don’t like what you read, keep going. Life isn’t made easier by people telling you only what you want to hear. Some here will be empathetic, some won’t.

I don’t really have anything to add to this.

1 Like

Other people have said something that wasn’t what I wanted to hear but I appreciate their opinions and the information they have provided. That was not a question as far as I am concerned. More of an accusation. If you have, that’s all well and good and someone else can benefit from that experience ND how you handled it. Not you coming off as rude and standoffish. I am done with replying you for now. You need to improve on your SM etiquette.

I have come across people like you and I am not impressed.

@epadat Commenting on other posters style of communication or content in a personal way, instead of just responding to what was said says more about you than the person you are critcizing.

Lecturing other adults on how they should behave or respond is quite pompous and rude in itself.

If you expect all posters to conform to your idea of what is proper or that they should have the same level of empathy or whatever that you have, public forums are not the place to frequent.

1 Like

This is starting to sound oh so familiar…

JF

2 Likes

I see that Muddy. Honestly, my intention for coming here wasn’t to get bashed. I came here cos I have followed up on comments in the past and have learned a lot just by doing that. I wanted to get a better perspective regarding my experience and have a better direction on how to better handle my perspective and dealings with Airbnb. This is not the first time that I have had problems with them. I always wanted to share my experiences in this forum but held back cos of 1 reason or another. This was very serious for me and that’s why I brought it here. I have dealing with human being every day from different culture and works of life and I have come to understand that I can pass my message across without belittling the other person. Especially in this cyber world that we live in. Again, I never expected everyone to pat me in the back and murder Airbnb for me. We all have our different codes and values and can co exists without berating someone else and their work. No matter how old or experienced we are. Respect and trust is earned and not fostered.