Hybrid Mattress or Memory Foam

Hey lovely people
Im in the process of shopping for mattresses after the stressful journey of shopping for bed frames.

I was going the route of getting a hybrid mattress but i need more insight from veterans as to what type of mattress works really well to use in my space and if possible what brand they recommend
Im also trying not to spend so much if i can avoid it cause im furnishing three rooms. I appreciate thanks

My guests LOVE my Tempurpedic King Size Memory Foam Mattress but you wonā€™t please everyone. Some are too hard or too soft. Some make you hot.

For my own bed I got a great deal online on Amazon. I ready so many reviews and so many options on the firmness and in the end it was too firm so I ended up getting a memory foam topper.

Good luck.

1 Like

Temperpudic is quite expensive.what brand did you get from amazon if you donā€™t mind

This has been discussed extensively here on this forum, so a search for mattress recommendations will turn up a lot of info. Use the search line at the top of the site.

That being said:
I have a Kingsdown Pillowtop Mattress (almost $2000) and a Nod by Tuft & Needle ($595) . Both have never gotten a bad review and many times rave reviews. I think that debates about mattresses are overwrought and not based on a large enough ā€˜sample rateā€™ to do much for your decision - I would recommend the cheapest.

3 Likes

I appreciate i will look into previous posts

I think you should see a mattresses as a key investment for your STR business and so be prepared to invest in decent quality mattress rather than looking at budget options.

Do your market research in your country by looking at independent reviews @Joonam

2 Likes

I found this site helpful. Mattress Ratings You Can Actually Trust : Top Rated Mattresses 2019 : Unbiased Reviews : Sleep Like The Dead

I ended up with Tuft & Needle mattresses in my listings. At the time, they were rated highest for comfort for the most types of sleepers (weights and sizes, sleeping positions, sleeping temperature, etc). Because guests are a diverse and unknown group it made sense to me to try to provide for as many types as possible.

Guests mention the comfort of our beds a lot. And they have held up well too after many years. They have been perfect for our Airbnbs! I recommend them.

However, when we got one for ourselves I absolutely hated it and sent it back to T&N then replaced it with a Casper that I knew I already liked. So thereā€™s that.

5 Likes

While most hosts seem to go for mattresses, I have always used straight foam, both for my own beds and my guest bed. A 4" slab of firm, high quality foam, with a 2" slab of softer high quality foam on top (not memory foam). If you want thicker than 6" in total, you can get foam in any thickness you want, so you could have a 6" firm foam with 2" softer on top to end up with an 8" mattress.

I donā€™t know where you live, @Joonam but of course youā€™d have to find a foam shop somewhere. Then you have to understand what high quality foam is. The density is what determines that. The higher the density, the better quality it is. Density is how close together the foam molecules are and what determines whether the foam will retain its shape rather than get squished down. Density has nothing to do with thickness or firmness.

What I like about foam mattresses is that they are light and easy to move around. My guest bed has a wood frame with felt pads under the legs and with the light foam mattress, I can easily slide the whole bed around when I clean (this would be harder on a carpeted floor- mine are tile), so there is no difficult cleaning under the bed, missed dust bunnies, etc. And you can easily flip the mattress over from side to side and top to bottom, i.e. 4 configurations, so it gets more even wear. I even put mine outside in the sun occasionally to air out.
Of course I use a waterproof cover over it, with a soft mattress pad on top of that, just as with a ā€œregularā€ mattress.

Guests have told me the bed is really comfortable.

2 Likes

I got this one on amazon. You can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what matters to buy. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F5K4J4X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Our str has memory foam inside. The outside bed is an ortho pillow top. Never any comments except positive ones!

1 Like

I didnā€™t like T and N but didnā€™t like Casper either. Iā€™ve also recently had Nest bedding in the Airbnb with good reviews. The one that really hit my spot is Purple. I bought it used from a friend and without a topper itā€™s comfortable and cooler. But it is HEAVY. So I may have to replace with something lighter as I age. Iā€™m one of those that donā€™t like tempurpedic at all.

The best reviewed bed in our home is one with an average traditional mattress and a thick foam topper.

3 Likes

Further to my response re foam mattresses, a quick way to test whether foam is of high density and therefore will not lose its shape over time is to press the end of your fingernail down into it. If your nail impression remains, and the foam only puffs back up slowly, it is not good quality. High density foam will bounce right back.

Of course a good foam shop with knowledgable employees will also be able to show you various densities and explain the difference.

1 Like

Likewise 202020202020

I thought you might find this article useful. The 33 Best Mattresses of 2022 | Reviews by Wirecutter

One they like is:

Novaform ComfortGrande

The best mattress under $500

This Costco favorite is a great value since itā€™s made from layers of foam that are as dense (and probably as durable) as the foam in mattresses that cost twice as much. Testers loved its cuddly yet supportive feel, but some found it to be too firm.

That looks like a NICE mattress! How are the reviews?

Iā€™m sorry but I donā€™t remember. this is an old post.

2 Likes

It was 4 months ago? You donā€™t know whether you have received positive or negative reviews for the mattress you got?