How Would You Handle This Situation: Our Pool Amenity Will Not Be Available?

We just discovered today that our in-ground swimming pool has a leak in its lining (seven years old) that is not reparable, that It is likely that we will not be able to open our pool for 30 days. The listing is in Worcester MA. Most guests visit to see relatives or for a family event.

We believe we will be able to open in 30 days based on discussions with a pool contractor and a firm selling liners (custom size is needed). But it seems to me that there must always be some uncertainty ‘until it’s done’ : contractors have emergencies, manufacturers experience delays, delivery services can be disrupted, things lost or damaged in transit, maybe another surprise(s) awaits us.

– So today we wrote affected guests and offered a penalty-free cancellation (they should ask Airbnb for the refund and we would authorize).
– Our listing no longer has a pool listed as an amenity.
– The listing description includes a statement “IMPORTANT: POOL NOT OPEN; REQUIRES REPAIR AND TIMING TO OPEN UNCERTAIN”

Potential reactions that we anticipate and would be concerning include:
– Asking for a discount
– Asking for additional compensation if they cannot find comparable accommodations

Notes:

1. To our knowledge there is at most one listing (none now) in Worcester MA that has a pool, though there are some listings in nearby communities.
  2. Although I have received representations that we could get this replaced in 15 days, we have notified guests who have reserved for the next 30 days to provide some cushion for the unexpected.
  3. We don’t know how important the pool amenity is to these guests, except for one who did mention it (‘lovely pool’) when they instant booked. None others have mentioned it.
  4. We don’t know why the rips in the lining occurred. The rips were at the seams, which could be a manufacturer’s defect. One rip was near the stairs, a particularly vulnerable part of the lining.
  5. This is a concrete pool, built 50 or so years ago.
  6. I have read receipts enabled. Tomorrow I plan on texting affected guests who have not read the message to alert them to the platform message.

We’d like to be consistent in how we respond to guests, though I suspect some of you might challenge that (we do too). Our reasoning is to be fair, to practice ‘fee integrity’ so that we don’t simply reward the squeaky wheel or the wily negotiator. On the other hand, depending on the guest the pool amenity might have been anywhere on a continuum from very important, a plus, to unimportant. So I’m unsure whether this notion/interpretation of fee integrity should apply.

Questions for You:

1. Do you think a discount, if any, should be based on some percentage of the reservation amount or on some other formula?
  2. Should we be proactive to offer the discount or wait to be asked?
  3. If a guest should ask for a discount and we agree, do you think we should provide the same or comparable discount to other affected guests? Just if asked? Proactively?
  4. Should we apprise affected guests of swimply (the ‘pool’ rental-by-the-hour site recently mentioned by @JJD)?
  5. Do you think we should contact guests whose reservations are more than 30 days out?
  6. Do you see other opportunities/best practices to be hospitable? To manage our risks?
  7. Although I don’t want to focus on what’s been done, do you think I should have done anything differently?
  8. If Airbnb won’t refund its fees, the guests will have lost, right? Shouldn’t we come out of pocket for that to make guests whole? But if the guests book at another Airbnb wouldn’t Airbnb credit their fee – how does this work for the guest and Host?
  9. Should I proactively write Airbnb to apprise them of this?
  10. Any other advice?

I think you have to contact your guests and let them know that your pool is currently under repair and not usable. Give them the option to cancel but if any insists on keeping the booking, than offer them a discount. Price the homes in your area without a pool, and refund the difference.

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago in which we were hit with a hurricance that damaged our dock and backyard. I contacted the guests and they all wanted to keep the booking so I gave them a discount.

2 Likes

I’d offer guests the option of cancelling with full refund or keeping the booking with a discount. Offer the discount up front to all. Maybe 15%?

1 Like

There are no homes in Worcester MA with pools right now (there are some in neighboring communities but difficult to gauge the premium, if any, that they are getting). They aren’t comparable to ours so I haven’t yet figured a way to com up with a number based on something objective.

One guest has responded to ask for a discount, to which I asked what number she had in mind.

Thanks for your input!

2 Likes

That ‘feels’ right to me.

I’ll see what guests ask for, if anything.

If they’re in that 15% ballpark I think we’ll say ‘yes’.

Thanks for your input!

UPDATE: The Host wants to try to Flex Tape the tears. IF that works (literally, a Band-Aid) this issue might be moot for the summer. We’ll see what happens. We might. be able to apply the Band-Aid and make a permanent solution in the fall when the pool would ordinarily be closed.

I would not ask the guests what number they had in mind. You are putting the guests in charge instead of acting like the business manager. It isn’t a negotiation situation- it’s a straightforward missing major amenity, which normally warrants the host offering a discount.

" Hi, XX, This is to let you know that unfortunately the pool will not be available during your upcoming stay- the liner is ripped, and it will take up to a month to get a new one and have it installed. We are offering all upcoming guests the option to cancel their booking with full refund, if you specifically wanted the pool, or to keep your booking with a 15% discount for the missing pool amenity. Please let us know ASAP which option you would like to go with."

3 Likes

Thank you.

If a guest did ask for a full refund – which we said we’d authorize – would the guest still lose money because Airbnb likely wouldn’t waive their fees? Or do you have a sense of whether Airbnb would waive its fee?

As far as I know, Airbnb doesn’t waive their fees, but that would be something the guest would have to take up with Airbnb. I don’t think you need to take that on- you aren’t cancelling them, the accomodation is perfectly usable, there’s just a non-functional pool, and you will be offering them a discount.

I suspect most, if not all the guests will choose to keep their booking.

2 Likes

UPDATE.

A guest has asked for a refund, which we said we’d authorized Airbnb to pay.

The guest contacted Airbnb.

Airbnb told the guest to contact us,

We wrote Airbnb to stay we authorized the refund and waived our cancellation policy. [Airbnb apparently missed this in their calculations.]

Airbnb immediately came back with the following (see below).

TL;DR. I eventually figured out that Airbnb apparently missed my message waiving the cancellation policy and I sent a request for a correction for the refund amount to the guest. . Airbnb just called us and agreed to waive their fees, and the guest is made whole. These details might interest some, bore others.

– I am thinking that this exchange might be useful to some forum members.
– If you think my calculations or reasoning are wrong, I’d appreciate your insights.
– I am surprised to see that Airbnb proposes we would get a payout of $631.02. I would think our payout should be $0.
– The guest says they’ve paid $1,221.46 so far and Airbnb is proposing to pay them just $285.46!
– It seems to me that in Airbnb’s accounting the first number should be $1,872 (the fee for seven nights).
– I understand that the refund is between the guest and Airbnb, but I wanted to help if I could so I sent the following message to Airbnb:

Re: YYYYYYYYYYY Reservation by Chris XXXXXXXX Refund Calculation.

I believe that there is an error in the calculation that you sent me.

1. The first number for Accommodation should be $1,872, not $1,221.76 (which is the amount Chris says she paid). [The $1,221.76 number is ‘embedded’ in the -$ 1,419.43 number that itself is the full booking amount of $2,640.89 less the amount Chris paid, of $1,221.76.]

2. That would show Chris receiving a refund of $936.00.

3. Chris would still be short the amount of guest fees payable to Airbnb of $285.46. I’ve told Chris that she need to discuss with you, Airbnb, waiving it fees.

4. You show me receiving $631.02. But I should receive nothing. Please remember that we are waiving our cancellation policy.

So, please if you correct the accounting to make that first number $1,872 that would be great.

Further, it would be kind of you to waive your fees of $285.46 to make Chris whole.

Thank you for your consideration.

Original Reservation

Here’s what Airbnb sent me on refund:

I think this proposal for Host Payout. is unimportant but include for completeness:

ALL information (as long as it is accurate) is useful. Reminder to those who do not know how the spyglass works on top (lol): put in some keywords and this forum will be searched and those posts with keywords will be immediately shown in a list.

1 Like

I asked my husband and he said there is a tape you can buy that will seal cracks and joints obviously you have to drain the pool down, You must have something similar in America,

1 Like