How would you compensate LTR guest for reoccurring prowler/peeping Tom?

Yep, interesting variety of reactions. I’m still concerned about the guests’ safety.

Maybe the peeper targeted the house because they were around and liked what they saw when the guests checked in – so therefore they’re actually targeting one of the guests.

I’m not a criminal psychologist, but I wouldn’t assume that the criminal behavior wouldn’t escalate.

2 Likes

I wonder if he knows it is a STR and has a variety of victims that move on regularly…

3 Likes

Interesting thought but why wouldn’t the Nest camera alert on prior incidents?

2 Likes

I spoke with the police again today who told me PLEASE DO NOT make up flyers. They have the videos and know what a wing-nut this guy is and are very concerned that it would cause more harm than good. They don’t want me to antagonize him because it could have adverse consequences and cause him to escalate. They suggested that I post on Nextdoor instead.

I’ve thought about this, but to accomplish, I would have to give guests access to my WHOLE google smart home, which I’m hesitant to do for many reasons. I have sent them the videos either in real time or the following day.

Agreed. I’m totally creeped out for the next time I have to stay there and clean!

I’ve had several discussions with them on relocating. I would ABSOLUTELY take care of this, however, they love the accommodations, love the neighborhood/location (which is generally consider safe!), and don’t want to move.

Yes. I just posted to NextDoor. Great idea.

Ha! I do love the idea of booby-trapping the area, as I’ve mentioned (tongue in cheek @KKC), but this would probably just end up getting me into more trouble than him!

I love this idea of putting a light in the peep spot (it’s solar powered it looks like? Would it work in that shady of an area?)

The porch motion light(s) wouldn’t fly, however. As this is an urban setting, the front stoop literally ends right at the sidewalk. Tons of foot traffic, runners, dog walkers, etc. I think I would would end up getting reported for this. My porch light is already super bright and a little annoying…ha! But clearly necessary.

Yes

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Think placement.
Place it at front of porch facing the door. Only if someone stepped on porch would it illuminate. If affixed with double sided tape you can say it is temporary. If someone reports you you can claim it is a temporary mounting until you can get a permanent system.

1 Like

Sorry, it’s a no-go for guests. Believe me I’ve asked more than once and they feel safe, but do want this nonsense squared away, for sure.

Post his picture just under the light he keeps messing with.

RR

5 Likes

Then I wouldn’t worry about them leaving a bad review. They are totally aware that you have been pro-active, aren’t blaming you, and they obviously don’t feel this guy is a threat to their safety and he likely isn’t, just some weirdo who needs to be caught.

2 Likes

Yes, indeed it is. Fantasizing but kidding

Mostly kidding, but my BF does seem to have lot’s of fantastic ideas on how to manage this ordeal. I’m happy just to babysit my phone from a distance!

Ken: May I be the first to welcome you to my home in Denver! Your First class ticket is en route and of course accommodations are FREE! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crossed_fingers: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

@yecatsr Know anyone with a scary dog you could tie up in the bushes? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know! Like others have said, maybe part of the KINK

I do LTR only (STR not legal). In 3 years have had bookings from 30days - 4 months and everywhere in between. I have good relationship with neighbors (also all renters), and all guests/tenants have been great, according to them. (so short answer, “no”)

Agreed. Most of my bookings have been direct bookings at this property, so with 8 reviews my LTR/sublet advertising on Air would TANK. I do STR at my own home-share in Boulder…tons of reviews, so I’d much rather have a crap review for that listing. LOL.

Folks, this kind of thing is just overkill for a 581 SQFT row home that shares walls. I really think/thought the doorbell cam and smart locks were sufficient. :roll_eyes: :flushed: :crossed_fingers:
Here’s a photo of the place:

The back patio is inaccessible, and has a 12 foot concrete wall. The only way to access is through locked gates or by parachuting off the condo building in the back.

I will loan her my 8 lb grumpya$$ dog who sounds like he is a big dog and acts like he wants to kill you when you wake him up. Until seen, he can be scary. Hard to be terrified of a dog the size of a bag of flour.

Name is Ricky but nick name is Grouchypants because I don’t want to call him Grumpya$$ in front of neighbors’ children.

2 Likes

Hahahaha! Someone JUST responded to my post on Nextdoor.com saying the same thing! “Someone needs to loan her a Pitt Bull”. Well duh…why didn’t I think of that!

This could work. The bushes are quite sturdy and I could wire it sideways to them. That way it would only annoy guests, who obviously won’t mind.

1 Like

Well thankfully they have no interest in this, as it would be quite a hit for me. They paid $3,800 plus airbnb charges for their LTR stay.

1 Like

I didn’t know if this was a 2000 sq ft house or cozy condo. I was having fun coming up with deterrent options. Trying to demonstrate “gotcha back girl”

1 Like

On retrospect, here’s my theory. The last guest was a single young girl staying there for 70 days. I have a feeling he was stalking her. When I went to clean between guests I noticed that the lightbulb was unscrewed, but thought nothing of it. It’s really bright, so I figured it was just bothering someone, or that it just became loose somehow.

Honestly, I value guest privacy and only check into the camera periodically, to make sure of no parties and no pets, I also check if I get a flurry of alerts all at once.

The Nestcam admittedly gets 350-900 alerts per day because it’s a busy area. I only really look at stuff that’s labeled zone 1.

Long story short, maybe I missed him in the past, it being so late at night.

Guests know he’s there because I’ve been in contact with them every step of the way. They also have video clips. I’m worried for their safety.

One would think. Maybe prior guest was not good about shutting blinds at night? Current guests of course are…

1 Like

Love every BIT of it. I appreciate everyone’s time and thoughtful advice!

1 Like

It may have, but if it was in the middle of the night I may have been sleeping. The nest gives hundreds and hundreds of alerts. I’m a night owl so it’s odd that I would miss all of them. I can only go so far back in video, so sadly, I can’t pull up old stuff. :weary:

2 Likes